1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1280x720 Projector for computer gaming anyone?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by organica, Jan 4, 2005.

1. organica

organica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to buy my first projector, and since the most promising models at present seem to be 1280x720, I'm trying to find out how projectors of this resolution cope with squidging up a 1024x768 XGA computer picture so as to fit within the 720 pixel vertical range.

I've found two posts mentioning this here and on AVS, one saying "it's fine don't worry", the other saying "it's awful don't do it." Has anyone any experience of this?

Specifically, the three projectors I'm most interested in are the Z3, the AE700, and the HS50.

Cheers -

Gordon k

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The problem as you realise is that to display that resolution the projector has to re-scale it, it's the quality of otherwise of the scaler bulit into the projector that determines the quality of the results, which of course is completely dependent on each projector.

If your main use is gaming then you'd be better off looking at a 4:3 projector with a native resolution suited to your needs, one of the 'presentation' type projectors would be better for this job IMHO.

3. organica

organica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My usage will probably be about 50-50 computer and standalone DVD/films.

Ideally, I'd prefer a 4:3 model, but I suffer acutely from the dreaded Rainbow Effect, which more-or-less rules out single-chip DLP models. And this leaves me struggling to find any 4:3 projectors with a contrast over 500:1.

So unless some manufacturer is planning to bring out a 4:3 machine with automated iris, the difference is contrast just seems too extreme, and I'm heading towards one of the three I mentioned above...

4. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hello Organica

Welcome to the forums. You seem well versed on projectors and have clearly done some research so I would take your games console along to a pj dealer demo and try it out if you have the time!

Excellent work/research! Usally new members/low post count menbers seem less informed unless they are traders building up a respectable post count to have numerous id's. It wouldn't be the first (or last) time!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Lets face it, most dealers are at it :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    KraGorn's suggestion of maybe a pj matching your native res would be best! If you have an Xbox then maybe a Hidef kit may help you decide.

Good luck in finding a suitable pj :thumbsup:

CH

5. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Go for a widescreen projector without question, quite a few PC games now have support for 1280x720, notably Half Life 2. This is the future and all games will soon support it I am sure.

As far as having an xbox is concerned, there should be no question about having a widescreen display. The xbox is more or less designed to output widescreen and in Hidef mode (that a projector would be), this makes it look stunning!

6. pgre

pgre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi..

I have a PJ-100TX and have hapilly been playing Half-Life, Doom 3, CS Source etc on the PJ. As mentioned many games are now supporting widescreen formats and its godo when there are friends around.

I still prefer to play them on my main LCD monitor since its 1600x1200 but the PJ's still good. I use the DVI connection by the way.

7. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I can only speak about the HS50, but across VGA, it accepts all the standard resolutions up to 1280 x 1024

8. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got a AE700 with a 100" screen. I really can't understand how people can say buy a 4:3 PJ :confused: :confused: Many games already run 1280x720 on the X-Box - Nearly all on the PC. The next generation on games consoles are also around the corner and are bound to support at least 1280x720, and with Hi def films out already (and starting to get a lot of releases out), and Sky going Hi def..... You get the point! Got my X-Box, P.C. , Gamecube , PS2 through AE700s component inputs and PQ great.

9. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

10. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I play Counter strike: Source on my Hitachi TX100 through XFX 6600GT DVI connection and it is very pleasing at using the x720 mode at 60Hz

OOH YES! Widescreen gaming is very pleasing, if you like I will post a picture tomorrow for you?

11. organica

organica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies everyone -

I've had a check, and most of the games I have don't support a widescreen aspect ratio. So I'm still very eager to know how these projectors handle a 1024x768 signal. I'm also considering the Hitachi - Cliocarl, have you tried running a 4:3 XGA signal thru that via the DVI?

UrbanT, I'm especially interested to know how this actually looks on the HS50. The Sony really appeals to me, but the review on Projector Central pinpointed the internal scaler as its weakest feature (although the reviewer was talking specifically about analog component inputs). Have you tried running a 1024x768 source thru it at all?

g k

12. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    GK, The game that gets 90% of the projectors gaming time is Pro Evo 4. I have played in all the 4:3 resolutions up to 1280 x 1024, it looks stunning in all of them. The other game on there at the moment is Doom 3, which also looks stunning. I don't think you will have any problems with games on any of these projectors :smashin:

13. organica

organica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers UrbanT - I've noticed that Projector Central seem to push front end video processors a bit, so the review comments were maybe another example of this (in fact he goes on to talk about the DVDO iScan HD+ for the next 3 paragraphs...)

I think it's time to try & find somewhere in Glasgow where I can try one of these out - but I suspect there may be a wait involved...

14. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I use the standard 1024 x 768 desktop on the projector in widescreen mode, since getting a widescreen projector i dont think I could go to 4:3, too small.

Widescreen picture is really nice. If you want the Hitchi has a 4:3 setting if your doing ppt presentations etc

15. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    well you can set HL2 to 16:9 1280x720 and play 1:1 pixel mapped. Im not going to tell you how many of my 30 hours use on my HS50 are from getting fragged :-S

16. organica

organica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh... my first experience of a projector was playing Quake on a friend's wall - it was the getting-drowned bit that really made an impression on me. That & being surprised to discover after about 4 hours that the kitchen still existed :D

And soon this world of large-screen unreality will be mine... mine!

17. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

Check out this link:
    http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=hdtvgaming

It contains an A-Z list of all games tested to work in a widescreen HDTV mode such as 1280x720. In some cases it includes configuration file/command line tweaks to use to make a game run in this mode.

The screenshots look amazing! Can't wait to get my HS50 :)

Tom

18. Babylon

Babylon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You never know,This could be right up you street. ;)

19. Dazzler2409

Dazzler2409

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how do i get my xbox to output hi-res as mentioned earlier in this thread?? I am guessing its via a dedicated cable??

20. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  21. Dazzler2409

Dazzler2409

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks explicitlyrics!!

Thats the 1st comp out I have seen with digital sound out aswell, been looking all over the place!!!

Do you have anymore info on the chipping?? I have always gave a wide berth to this as I heard sometime ago that it would be detected on live gameplay??

22. skullmurdoc

skullmurdoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sanyo Z3 is also awsome with PC games.

It's really great playing racing game on a projector of this quality.

Thanks

Fred

23. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Agreed Fred...both Half-Life 2 and Far Cry on PC are doing it for me at the moment...I can output 1280*720 from PC via VGA and HDMI(DVI adapter)...both look fabulous...will try setting up my PC with TheatreTek/FFdShow (whatever its called :blush: ) for DVD soon as well

24. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Chipping for the X-Box runs at about £45-£50. It's not illegal and if bought new chipped comes with a years warranty (well in my local shop it does!). I got my component leads from Farnell's (really cheap good quality!).

25. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Widescreen is the way to go of course, everything is going widescreen as mentioned and the AE700 would be a good choice as it supports right upto 1080i both in PAL and NTSC.

The new ATI drivers do allow 1:1 1280x720 res so even desktop and surfing isnt a problem and as for PC games many can be modifed for widescreen resolutions, lots of info regarding widescreen here:
    Tiger Daves

I use mine for:
    Xbox 480p 720p (softmodded)
    Gamecube PAL but with component output and USA software for 480p
    PS2 some but a few are 480p
    Dreamcast & PC via VGA

26. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

You just need to get the xbox chipped, then change to ntsc using the enigma switchmode software thats part of the evox dashboard (this gets installed with the chip), u can then run all games (even pal) in ntsc thus unlocking the high def modes. Most pal stuff runs in 525p and looks far better than when run in 620i (pal) but a fair number of ntsc games run in 720p, looks awesome.