Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

1280 x 768

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by sparkybun, Jan 31, 2005.

Tags:
  1. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

On Looking around there appear to be quite a few LCD screens that are 1280 x 768. Now this is 15:9 and not 16:9. What exactly does this mean?

Is this inferior in anyway to the 1366 x 768 screens?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mel

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sparkybun,

It means that if you view a 16:9 format picture at full height, the left and right hand sides will be cut off. If you have it full width, there will be black bars at the top and bottom and the picture will be smaller.

This doesn't mean much with 4:3 format that is most TV programs at the moment, but there are lots of programs being filmed in 16:9 for terrestrial viewing plus all of the films on DVD that are in 16:9 that you will either have to watch a little bit smaller to view all of the picture or cut off either side.

Richie.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The 15:9 screens are also an indication that the LCD panel might be a previous generation panel. Later generation panels will have better panel response times (rather than the electronics in the set pushing the panel to get a better response) and better black detail. Do not confuse this with contrast ratio which is largely meaningless.

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    More often than not what'll happen whilst watching a 15:9 display is that the TV will scale a 16:9 to fit. The result is that the picture will be squashed slightly to fit. The folks on the screen will look like they've all been on a diet!

There are A LOT of these screens around at the moment, and Ian is right that they are most likely old generation panels. Not ideal.

Jimmy

5. WezzyB

WezzyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 37PF9986 and when I connect it to my PC via DVI it only offers a resolution of 1280 x 768 but according to Philips I should get 1366 x 768 SXGA. How can I get it to work at this resolution?

6. jsap

jsap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    a pc program called powerstrip which allows you to create custom resolutions. google for it!

7. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, but the philips will deliberately not accept this resolution, so you'll still be stuck with 1280. See here for details

8. grimboid

grimboid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a related note (and forgive me if this has already been dealt with), can anybody help me understand why true 16:9 screens seem to have settled on 1366*768 rather than 1280*720 ?

Surely having the panel native to 720p would be better? I'm not too keen about Sky HD having either borders all round or being scaled up.

Are there any current generation screens out there which have a confirmed resolution of 1280*720? (as opposed to an advertised one!)

Thanks

9. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just a thought which I'm not sure actually works, but the 1280 by 768 screens might have an advantantage with a 16:9 720p transmission. As long as the screen displays pic as true 16:9 (i.e. with black bars top and bottom) it's effectively displaying it on a 1280x720 pixel array - which ought to avoid the need to scale the picture vertically, same as a pure 1280x720 monitor. You're losing a bit of screen when watching 16x9 material, but only about 7%, and you're better of when watching 4:3.

This depends on the screen dealing with 720p in the way described, and not just filling the screen which could get pretty ugly. I've had a play with Windows media player with a 1280x768 resolution using my normal (4:3 CRT) monitor and this appears to produce the black bars top and bottom as you would want. So pressuming you are willing to go the HTCP route, and can get a 1:1 pixel mapping to the screen, this could work quite well.

Anyway, I've parted with my readies on a 1280x768 screen on the basis of the above so I'll report back on whether it works or not.

Nick

10. grimboid

grimboid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,

I agree that a 1280*768 screen with smallish borders top and bottom at 720p is a good solution in the absence of 1280*720 panels.

But even 1280*768 panels seem to be disappearing fast at the moment.

I'm surprised more people aren't a little bit hung up on this issue too. One of the reasons I looked at LCDs over plasmas was because of the possibility of 1:1 pixel matching with 720p. Perhaps the scaling of TV pictures isn't a big sacrifice in practice, and I'm just prejudiced by my experience of non-native PC resolutions on LCD monitors.

Do please post with how you get on with your new screen. (you could also try setting your PC to output 720p and seeing if that gives 1:1 too)

The LCD I really wanted for my HTPC was the Sony LMD-320W, which is also 1280*768. But then I found the price...

Thanks

Graham

11. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    XGA=1024x768 4:3
    W-XGA = 1366x768 ie 16:9 widescreen version of XGA

A hangover from PC screen technology.

12. grimboid

grimboid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the insight Ian, but also it kind of illustrates my confusion... why are LCD TVs seemingly evolving away from TV resolutions and into PC resolutions?! Would it not have made more sense if the older LCD TVs were the ones at 1366*768, and the nice new ones were coming through at 1280*720 ?

Perhaps I'm mistaken that there ever have been any LCD TVs at 1280*720, and that this is actually something for the future. Specs are often wrong - perhaps www.harwa.de/productdetails_TV.php?TVid=1083 , for example, isn't really 1280*720.

Graham

13. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    just to confuse you even more, 1366x768 is not legally and computer resolution.

1366 is not divisable by 8, therefore impossible to acheive from a graphics card.

and if you put a 1280x720 htpc image into an lcd projector, its detected as 750p although it only shows 720 lines

Madness i tell ya!

14. grimboid

grimboid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah, so it isn't.

And neither is 1366*768 exactly 16:9, for that matter. (although that really is splitting hairs...)

Help! Where are the 1280*720 panel LCD TVs ?!

Graham

15. paul f

paul f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This all makes a lot of sense to me. To the extent that I have stopped myself buying a Sharp 26GA4E and I am now looking for a 28-30" 1280 x 768 screen.

As I see it 1280x768 allows a pixel for pixel display of 720 line HD material using the full width of the screen but with narrow bars top and bottom. Better than black edges all the war around and presumably zooming the whole thing in to 1366x768 will lose something. 1280x768 also will behave well for the PC without needing powerstrip etc, and I am looking at this as a display for a media centre PC. And I will get a bigger picture when watching 4:3 TV.

So unless someone can give me a really good reason 1280x768 is the one.

Paul

16. colinbarber

colinbarber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would it not be better to get a 1920 x 1080 display?

17. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    find one...

18. colinbarber

colinbarber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, would it not be better to wait until they become available?

19. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't the 45 inch Sharp LCD 1920x1080?