120hz or 4k - what would you choose?

What would you prefer?

• Total voters

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested to know what everyone would favour of they can only have one option.

4K @ 60hz
1080/1440 @ 120 Hz

Just strikes me that 4k 120 displays are few and far between so even with the power on offer in the series X some people will be having to choose between the two options running on a high refresh rate monitor or a 4k TV.

So what would you prefer if you can have one?

4k for me with lots of HDR

4k @ 60Hz would do fine for me.

It's a hard question for me to answer. I've never played a game at 120Hz to know what it's like but I do know games feel better and more responsive at 60Hz over 30Hz.

I also don't have a TV that can do 120Hz (don't have a 4K TV yet either). I think I'd be happy with 4K at 60Hz with lot of the extra horsepower going to visuals for story based games but would prefer the extra responsiveness of 120Hz for multiplayer and racing games.

Depends on game when I play on PC with with LG 55" B9 OLED. Some I like 1440p/120, others 4k/60

Just started the game Control and using 1440p/120 in preference to 4K/60. With Gears 5 I'm happy at 4K/60

4K @ 120 :)

Niether. 4k at 24hz as I don't watch football, if I did 4K at 60hz if I did. Filming anything at 120hz would be bad!.

Niether. 4k at 24hz as I don't watch football, if I did 4K at 60hz if I did. Filming anything at 120hz would be bad!.
?

I'm pretty sure you wouldnt want to game at 24hz. Which is what the thread is about, not movies or sports.

It's more for games I'm asking about. High refresh rates give you better response times, especially in competitive scenarios. No matter what I'm pretty sure media streaming won't be forcing 120hz video on us.

Easy, 4K 60 as I have a Sony AG9, and it is a 4K 60HZ OLED and I’m not spending another couple of grand for a new telly!!..

I want to see those silky smooth details and the faster 60FPS speeds.

Easy, 4K 60 as I have a Sony AG9, and it is a 4K 60HZ OLED and I’m not spending another couple of grand for a new telly!!..

This is why I asked, fancy TV and you aren't upgrading anytime soon so it's either or. I've got a 1080p 144hz pc monitor or a 4K TV we got last year. Obviously I'm not after replacing either so no matter what I'm only getting one as an option.

If you want silky smooth then surely 120FPS would be better.

I have gone for 4K/60fps as my current TV will handle that just fine but in the months to come that may change, all I really want is a stable framerate.

Last edited:
If you want silky smooth then surely 120FPS would be better.

Probably but not for another couple of grand it isn’t! To me 60FPS will be a nice upgrade from all the 30 to 60FPS games we’ve had. I think we need more then one or two TV manufacturer making 120HZ displays to make them worth it, improve and fine tune the panel tech. Also make an OLED they can do 120HZ, if they can as am I right in thinking all 120HZ labels are LCD’s?

Probably but not for another couple of grand it isn’t! To me 60FPS will be a nice upgrade from all the 30 to 60FPS games we’ve had. I think we need more then one or two TV manufacturer making 120HZ displays to make them worth it, improve and fine tune the panel tech. Also make an OLED they can do 120HZ, if they can as am I right in thinking all 120HZ labels are LCD’s?
I'm going by the question rather than what i'm able to do. I'm not able to do 120 FPS 1440P on my TV, but given the choice I would, so i selected 120 FPS.

The new LG OLEDs can do 4K/120fps, my original plan back in March was to get a 65CX to go with the Series X but have decided to wait a bit on upgrading the TV.

My man cave is looking good. Planned ahead whilst still have a job and the money but spending stops now.

LG CX55, Denon X2700H and Xbox Series X completes the set.

I'm going by the question rather than what i'm able to do. I'm not able to do 120 FPS 1440P on my TV, but given the choice I would, so i selected 120 FPS.

If I just went with the question I still would go 4K 60.

The new LG OLEDs can do 4K/120fps, my original plan back in March was to get a 65CX to go with the Series X but have decided to wait a bit on upgrading the TV.

Ah thanks I didn’t know they had OLEDs that could do that.

Your high frame-rate option is restricted to gaming monitors to be honest, when I would imagine most gamers here, would be on a consumer 4k TV - so 60 Hz will lead the poll.

Your high frame-rate option is restricted to gaming monitors to be honest, when I would imagine most gamers here, would be on a consumer 4k TV - so 60 Hz will lead the poll.
That's why I was more asking preferred over capability. High frame rate monitors aren't uncommon, and neither are the 4k TVs, it's just panels that can do both that are rare right now. I know I face this choice and wouldn't want to move the console back and forth between the 2 options. I think it's likely skewed by a lot of people having never used higher than 60hz panels.

Smooth frame rates is arguably the most important thing and if it works with my freesync monitor that would be great as that's the thing I noticed the most when I got it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom