120hz black frame insertion on older OLEDs

D

Deleted member 52097

So LG has finally introduced this technology to this years' line up of OLEDs. I have the LG B8 and this is one feature that I really wish it had. Would it be technically possible for LG to provide a firmware upgrade for older models to enable this feature? B8 only has 60hz black frame insertion and for me 120hz gaming without black frame insertion is unplayable.

With LG, and TVs in general, whether something is technically possible is little help. New features on TVs only come to new model years sadly - maybe one day a manufacturer will change.

With LG, and TVs in general, whether something is technically possible is little help. New features on TVs only come to new model years sadly - maybe one day a manufacturer will change.
I understand that they need to encourage people to buy new TV's but this model is less than 2 years old. Would happily pay LG a fee to have the firmware updated.

I agree. There's no way owners of say 2017/2018 will upgrade just to get some new features, new features should be to encourage you to buy their brand over another when it comes time to upgrade. Two-three years guaranteed support would actually make their TVs more attractive, and maybe get some brand loyalty. But they arent logical - for example LG wont add HDR10+ and Samsung wont add DV.

It would need forums/websites to start to make this an issue but as you can see from the AVF front page covering new model releases is more attractive - even though most forum members are existing customers.

This feature is in all likelihood handled by the new processors, ergo it’s unlikely to work on old sets.

This feature is in all likelihood handled by the new processors, ergo it’s unlikely to work on old sets.
If it's down to a processor issue then that's fair enough but only LG really know. I assumed that black frame insertion is really 120hz with every other frame being black. However, it seems that the new series of LG OLEDs still have a maximum refresh of 120hz but also have the option of black frame insertion.

Maybe, but LG DID initially show this on the 2019 models with the Alpha 9 processor at CES 2019 and then it wasn't included on the final production models.

So I'd certainly say they could at least add it back to the C9/E9 etc.

how does BFI hlep out of interest?

how does BFI hlep out of interest?
It helps with motion resolution. OLED and LCD both use "sample and hold technology" which means that each frame is shown until the next frame appears which results in motion blur. Quick panning of shots and fast moving images lack clarity. This wasn't a problem with CRT and PLASMA.
Technology has come so far yet in someways gone backwards. Blurbusters has some excellent information on this topic.

It helps with motion resolution. OLED and LCD both use "sample and hold technology" which means that each frame is shown until the next frame appears which results in motion blur. Quick panning of shots and fast moving images lack clarity. This wasn't a problem with CRT and PLASMA.
Technology has come so far yet in someways gone backwards. Blurbusters has some excellent information on this topic.
Also, BFI is mainly useful for gaming. Most recent OLEDs do have other motion enhancement controls but these add input lag.

BFI does not add input lag?

But its only BFI @ 60hz in 4K, which makes it flicker like crazy, yes?
Does it have 120hz bfi at 1440p ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom