1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1208 with IRIS

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Anastrophe, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Anastrophe

Anastrophe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have just bought a Barco 1208 off Ebay and need a little help when (and more likely 'IF') it turns up.

I'm based over in Dubai and don't think there are any installers over here so I'm going to give it a go myself. However, I've read that there are several modifications that should be done on these prior to use/installation, such things as the PSU mod etc.

Does anyone have a difinitive list of these mods and how to go about them that I could work from?

(apparently it's got 6100 hours on it)

Cheers and thanks in advance

Davie

p.s. what's an IRIS 800, is it an IRIS 2 or 3 or something else?

2. secstate

secstate
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure there are really any mods for the 1208. The 800 and 801 have some known required mods, mostly to the power supply. There is a Barco tech notice out on the 1208 SMPS board about some caps. I might be able to dig that one up, but again it is not required.

I had a 1208 for a while, nice picture though the one I had was a lemon (don't worry I think it was the past life mine lived that caused the problems).

The IRIS 800 is the predecessor to the IRIS 2 and 3 systems. It is rather large and bulky and attached to the front of the projector. It does only convergence, I believe, not geometry. So you still have to do most of the hard work.

3. Anastrophe

Anastrophe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply secstate - I hope mines not a lemon either. It's my first PJ so I've got all the fun ahead of me (new crt, installation, hooking 'something' up to it, etc etc)

:)

4. secstate

secstate
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Generally the Barco 120x series are reliable. Though I think the 808 models are a tad better. Barco's have problems with the HV power supplies. The quadrupler in particular is the part that may go (there is no mod for this). On the other hand and I have a friend who repairs and sells used projectors and recently had a Barco 1208 in with 40,000 plus hours. It had the tubes replaced at least once, but everything else was original.

If the quad doesn't act up in the first few months of use you are probably safe. My understanding is that they tend to fail after a period of inactivity.

My 1208/2 was a U.S. government surplus extra. I got it cheap and after it died on my I parted most of it out (I kept the B&G tubes and the HV parts for spares for my 808) and actually turned a small profit.

Barcos are very easy to set up so you should have no problems. Just remember to avoid the temptation to keep any of the previous owners settings. Start from scratch and redo the adjustment thing a couple of times for practice. Trust me you will end up with a much better picture in the end.

5. Anastrophe

Anastrophe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, that's cheered me up no end :)

FWIW - is this what you guys would refer to as toast?

Attached Files:

6. secstate

secstate
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I have some butter with that green? The green is toast. Green is usually the first to go on Barco 808/1208 models and it shows here. The problem is compounded by the fact that the wear is uneven and so will be all the more noticable. The blue looks to have minor wear and should be fine for many more 1000s of hours. The red as nearly alwasy looks fine (reds usually last at least 2x the blue and the green).

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You will get a picture but buget for that green to go. (unlike the 808 you have to virtually take the 1208 appart to change the tubes and the projector has to come off the ceiling)
    Don't pursist with the IRIS 800 unless you really want some sleepless nights. It is MUCH quicker and more accurate to converge your self.

8. Anastrophe

Anastrophe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Roland - The projector has to get on the ceiling first :)

In fact it has to get to Dubai. It was an ebay purchase, the seller is a business who accepts MasterCard so I hope that it will turn up and that I'm covered through using my credit card if it doesn't. (hope = hanging on persimistic expectations)

If I did want a 'new' green, where would you suggest I go?

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You have two choices a new Barco tube or a company in the States Called VDC who rebuild the type of tube in your machine.

How confident are you messing inside this pojector? (there are some high voltages remember)

10. Anastrophe

Anastrophe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about 40% confident (based on the fact that I have an allergy to HT voltages). I studies telecoms & microelectronics at college (Merchant Navy College in Kent) so we spent a lot of time taking radars and such appart - never liked it though!

Once unplugged, do the CRTs still pack a large voltage/charge or does it quickly dissapate? (sp?)

Is Barco the only choice for new tubes and I thought they were MEC and I might be able to get it somewhere else?

11. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Barco fix (very acurately) their own mount to the front of a MEC (panasonic) tube.
    Similar tubes are used in other projectors but they will all have their own special mounts.

tube voltage disipates in less than a second as does the rest of the EHT. but its best to wait for bit.
    I still after all these years and tube changes still touch the EHT lead tip to the chassis first.

12. Anastrophe

Anastrophe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with the chassis still earthed (plugged in)?

thanks bTW

David

13. secstate

secstate
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EDITED POST TO CORRECT LINKS.

VDC makes decent rebuilds but unforunately green is their most problematic. Phosphor droputouts pinpricks on the face of the tube often develop in the frist 20-30 hours of use. VDC replaced mine under warranty no problems, except in your case the shipping would expesnive fast (and of course you have to remove and replace the tube again. Also if you do got the VDC route you need to age the tubes for 100 or so hours prior. These procedures are outlined on the North American counterpart to this forum (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=16).

Another alternative that some have presued is to buy new MEC 180DMBs (8" tubes used in Marquees) from VDC (these are MEC tubes not VDCs new or rebuilt tubes). At least in the states these new MECs are cheaper than the Barco price for 180DVBs. The only difference between the two tubes is the assignment of the 2 and 6 pins. It is an easy mod again outlined on http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=16. I don't know if you can buy the tubes direct from MEC. I don't think in the States that you can.

14. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

15. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Do you not think that all new tubes should be bedded in for this period.

Your links appear go to one of those "compare prices" / "get cheap home cinema" pages.
    A specific link to the procedures would help more. (not sure on the rules on linking to other forums either)

16. secstate

secstate
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VDCs seem espeically sensitive to premature aging if not bedded right. There is a discussion in the north american forums right now about how some VDC rebuilds started showing wear within 15 hours of use (not properly bedded in though). http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=429374 This is just the recent discussion there are others.

I apologize for the links, I fat fingered the URL and have now corrected my previous post. Moderators if this violates the rules let me know and I will remove.

17. Anastrophe

Anastrophe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that guys, funny enough I've been following the avsforum thread already.

Cheers again