120 fps? Is this a true 120 fps?

8Rave8

Standard Member
Hi all glad i found this forum...:hiya:

I see many new lcd tv advertised to be fast ... ie 120 fps. is this a true 120 fps? as I also read about interpolated frame rates..from 60fps.

The reason I ask is because I want to use a sonny xbr 46 or alike 120 fps TV as a computer monitor.
I want to capitalize on the 120 FPS.

Now here is the techy question...:lesson:
if I lock my vertical sync on my video card and the TV is truly 120 hrz I should show 120 fps..

will this actually be the case with a 120 fps TV?... or will it lock in at 60 fps as that's the starting point from there its doubled? if that makes any sense?:rolleyes:

I understand this is an odd ball question..
I was just hoping for some input from on of you gurus out there.:lesson:
Thanks Rave.:thumbsup:

T

Tommy Angelo

I'm pretty sure only a Jedi can see the difference between 60fps and 120fps on a 120hz screen.

8Rave8

Standard Member
I am using a 42 inch monitor that when Vsyn is forced on gives a stedy 60 FPS that is crappy in game play not smooth.
if I force vsynk off ie turn it off i get 320+ much faster smoother game play its a flight sim BTW.

problem with that is the tearing is destracting point is i need a higher hrz monitor so when vsync is forced on i get a true 120 fps

back to my original question are there any 42"+ monitors that truly give 120 FPS when vert sync is forced on?

T

Tommy Angelo

Something isn't right here, think about it.

If you are using a 60hz monitor/TV then how can it look smoother when the frame rate is 300+? You will still only see 60 frames every second or less, not including half frames where the screen is "torn".

I have a funny feeling that you may get the same problem at 120hz with V-sync on because I don't think it sounds like the perceived lack of smoothness is entirely down to being stuck at 60fps.

8Rave8

Standard Member
I get tearing with vsyc off but smoother motion in fast action
with it locked on I can only get 60 and not nearly as fluid.

I have a pal that locks his Vsync at 85 and it runns great.

what I have found is that no LCD can really un @ 120 the input is alway 60 with curent tech.the 120 FPS is interpelated so with vS forced on I will still get 60.. bummer..

reaper12

I have a 40inch LCD TV with a fast response time, there is no tearing and I play mostly Firts Person Shooters. Response time is more important for LCD than the refresh rate, as an LCD works a little different than CRT, It only updates part of the screen at a time.

And you are right 8Rave8, it is much smoother playing games at 100+ fps then at the 60fps Vsync forces you too.It is easy to tell the difference as well.

Don't know what TV you have or what you are hoping to buy, but make sure you get an accurate response time. Sometimes they only give the half cycle response times, which sound great but, are really crappy. I have the Samsung LE40F71BX and it's full cycle response time is 8ms and there is never any tearing or ghosting in games.

8Rave8

Standard Member
I see so your responce time is the key.

Are you saying that you do not run with Vsync forced on and your geting 100 fps+ with no tearing?
If that is so then thats great news

were would I see in the specs if they are posting half cycle response times.
I was looking to get a Sony KDL-46XBR4>
thanks for the help

T

Tommy Angelo

I'll repeat what I said before.

How can 60fps converted to 60hz look smoother than 300fps converted to 60hz?

You are still only seeing 60 frames per second. One with tearing and one without.

reaper12

I see so your responce time is the key.

Are you saying that you do not run with Vsync forced on and your geting 100 fps+ with no tearing?
If that is so then thats great news

were would I see in the specs if they are posting half cycle response times.
I was looking to get a Sony KDL-46XBR4>
thanks for the help

Well I don't know, I would ask on the LCD TV's forums here and see do people have any tearing or issues with games. Another TV I would recommend you look at is the Samsung F86, the 46inch model. It's an improved model of my TV and I can highly recommend my TV for gaming.

I am not too 100% sure of how to work it out, but, yes an LCD is fixed to 60hz, but, in theory, the response time should work out the refresh rate of the monitor. So for a monitor with an 8ms response time the refresh rate will be 100hz or 125hz something like that. So the ability is there for an LCD monitor to display at higher refresh rates. IF you connect your LCD by VGA on some models you can actually select a higher refresh rate than 60hz. So this means that, even though you can only see the 60hz refresh rate, the monitor should be able to display more fps, and it just feels smoother becuase of this. Of course, tearing occurs if the frame rate is way higher than the refresh rate worked out by the response time, as happens in cheaper LCDs and LCD's with a really slow response time like 25ms or so.

Vsync on the other hand tries to maintain certain frame rate matched to your refresh rate. This is great if you enable triple buffering on your card and your card can keep up with sending 60fps, but sometimes it can't. Because by enabling triple buffering you lose some of the graphics card memory for doing other things like textures etc. If your card can't keep up at all times, then it really isnt smooth at all.

hehe, sorry not good at explaining things!!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom