120 FPS/HDMI 2.1

cunnas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, hope I am asking this in the right place and hope this makes sense as I think I have over-thought it!

I currently have the following setup...

4k UHD 55" TV (Hisense around 4-5 years old)
Denon X2300W AVR
Xbox Series X

I have the XSX plugged in to the AVR via HDMI and then the AVR to TV via HDMI. It all works great and I am more than happy with this setup.

However...

Like everyone else on this form, I am always looking to upgrade and was considering a new LG OLED TV which offers HDMI 2.1 and 120 Frame Rate.

If I was to replace the current TV with this new one but kept my setup (XSX - AVR - TV), would I get 120 FPS? The reason I ask is "I think" I need the HDMI 2.1 thing for 120 FPS (but might be completely wrong), the new TV would have this but the AVR I assume would not.

Would I have to plug the XSX directly in to the TV to achieve this and if so, would I then lose the use of my AVR and speakers? I am assuming eARC comes in to play if I have this setup but not entirely sure as that is then stretching my knowledge!

Or if I got a 2.1 HDMI TV, would I also need to upgrade my AVR to a 2.1 HDMI capable AVR?

If you want 4K 120 then you need 2.1 which the new TV will handle and the cable that came with the Series X will handle fine. I would say you would just use eARC. I connect my Series X direct to the TV and let ARC take care of it with the soundbar.

May be a better question for the Amp Subforum. The TV and Series X will work but not sure if the amp would handle it.

every part of the chain has to be HDMI 2.1 so if you want to go into the AVR first the AVR has to be HDMI 2.1.

every part of the chain has to be HDMI 2.1 so if you want to go into the AVR first the AVR has to be HDMI 2.1.

Ok thanks mate and just for clarity, HDMI 2.1 is needed for 120 FPS on Xbox?

Ok thanks mate and just for clarity, HDMI 2.1 is needed for 120 FPS on Xbox?

now this is the complicated part of it not necessarily if you play at 1080p 120hz not you dont need hdmi 2.1.

HDMI 2.1 is needed for 4k 120hz

Also im not sure but i dont think the AVR X2300W supports EARC.
It probably won't, it's fairly old now. I had always assumed I'd need a new AVR if I went down the 120Hz route

It probably won't, it's fairly old now. I had always assumed I'd need a new AVR if I went down the 120Hz route

Get yourself a nice new TV to take advantage of 4k 120 and then worry about the AVT down the line. Assumed you gamed with headphones anyways and ARC might work fine.

I had this exact same dilemma when I upgraded to an LG 55CX in April but it works great with the Xbox going into the TV and using ARC to send the audio to my receiver.

Granted its only plain old vanilla Dolby Digital 5.1 but it still sound plenty good to me and most nights I use a headset anyway but someday I will upgrade the receiver to a 2.1 compatible model and get the lossless audio formats back but not in any rush to do so.

yes im very much the same when i got the LGCX I personally dont use headsets i like the home cinema system so i switched back to plain old optical and kept my old amp while its only dolby digital 5.1 instead of lossless audio frankly i havent noticed the difference. So im in no rush to get a new AVR

I had this exact same dilemma when I upgraded to an LG 55CX in April but it works great with the Xbox going into the TV and using ARC to send the audio to my receiver.

Granted its only plain old vanilla Dolby Digital 5.1 but it still sound plenty good to me and most nights I use a headset anyway but someday I will upgrade the receiver to a 2.1 compatible model and get the lossless audio formats back but not in any rush to do so.
Would this help?
Amazon product ASIN B08TX473Z8

yes im very much the same when i got the LGCX I personally dont use headsets i like the home cinema system so i switched back to plain old optical and kept my old amp while its only dolby digital 5.1 instead of lossless audio frankly i havent noticed the difference. So im in no rush to get a new AVR
I will always favour my speakers but my upstairs neighbour can be quite noisy so once she arrives home around 7pm on goes the headset haha

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom