120/240v, 550w, 80x suggestion

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by VBuckley, Feb 5, 2009.

1. VBuckley

VBuckley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all

I have a Mesh pc with a 240v, 550w, 80x PSU (which means nothing to me)

I have moved to the US for a bit and my PSU doesn't have a 120v switch (thanks Mesh) so need to get a new PSU that will run the 550w 80x for 120v (and 240v switch so can use back in good ol' blighty)

Anyone got any suggestions of a good place to buy these? (pref online that deliver to the US)

thank you in advance

2. Soultech

Soultech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi,
    I'm not sure what the 80x represents but any old half decent greater than or equal to 500w power supply will do you.

One thing i'd recommend doing though is some of the manufacturers used to use smaller form factor cases to make it neater so depending on the age of the PC you might have a smaller PSU space in the PC so I'd recommend measuring the dimensions of the PSU as well before you buy and compare it with the one you're getting. ( The following site uses imperial, those crazy Americans :us: ;) )

I've seen on various American PC forums that they use Newegg - Newegg.com - Power Supply, ATX Power Supply, Uninterruptible Power Supply, DC Power Supply but I'm not 100% sure how competitive they are but a lot of people seemed to rank them.

Most if not all of the PSUs on that site are ranked for 100-240v so they'll either have a switch or will autoswitch (don't quote me on that though).

Hope that helped.

3. VBuckley

VBuckley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you very much :thumbsup:

Just to double check, I don't need a 550w PSU exactly, just a 500w+ unit?

cheers (also is it easy to instal, or not for mere mortals like me?)

4. Soultech

Soultech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yep thats right. You could stick a 1500w in that PC if you wanted and it won't cause a problem (there's no need to but its just an example) it only draws the wattage that it requires so excess is fine as it just sits there not used. Sorry, I miss read your original post anything about 550w not 500w. You're better to replace with the same size or bigger.

Yep should be pretty easy to connect up. If you've never done it before though I'd make a note of where the power supply is currently plugged into on your motherboard (could be at least 2 places). Probably best idea is to take a picture of it, that way you can be sure you've connected all the right places up. To actually remove the PSU from the case it'll just be 4 screws screwed in from the back usually. The new power supplies may have a lot of connectors that you won't use in your case, don't worry if you're left with extra cables lying around inside your case. Just tuck them away as best you can away from fans etc to allow air to flow around your case properly. All the connectors have notches or odd shaped connectors so they can only fit in one way. So don't force them in you may just have them upside down.

The most annoying thing is just plugging everything in as it can be a bit fiddly in some cramped areas in the case. It shouldn't be hard as long as you plug everything back in again.

If your PSU is smaller than those ones on the site some cases have an extra rear plate that can be unscrewed to allow it to take bigger PSUs but i've never seen a small 550w PSU so you should be ok.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  5. VBuckley

VBuckley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. Soultech

Soultech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    lol ah, ATX perfect. That means that any of those power supplies should fit your case as ATX means a standard sized case.

7. VBuckley

VBuckley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheers, ill let you know how i get on

if i don't, assume the worse and that i blew myself up :clap:

8. Soultech

Soultech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    haha ok cool, that article looks very good, i had a quick scan and it looks like it'll explain everything and about the connectors etc.

I'll need to bookmark that and come back to it and have a read of it myself.

Good luck with it, you should be fine.

Time for bed I think.