Question 120" 16x9 Masking question

jroberts

Novice Member
Reaction score
Good morning all,
I currently have a fixed frame 110" 2.35:1 screen. So far so good. The issue is the 16x9 on it was small. Esp sitting 15 feet back and worse for 3d movies.
I ended up picking up a 120" 16x9 motorized tab tension screen.

It was nice and big. Even the 2.35:1 is bigger.
I'm debating to sell the fixed frame and leave the motorized 120" screen up.
But the black bars annoy me. I have almost 80% of my movies in that 2.35:1 format

I have the epson 5040ub.
Is there a masking or some diy to make the 120" mask the top/bottom borders?

What are my options.or should I just go to the fixed frame for those movies. Eg is watching TRON , aspect changes. Also perhaps maybe make the top and bottom bars black as nite!

thanks again

From your seating distance, you should have a 2.35 screen that is between 5 feet tall and 6.25 feet tall, but I've a feeling your room won't be able to accommodate a screen that wide (and you'll need a bright projector) - or can you move the seats closer?

In my room I have a fixed 16:9 IMAX screen that is semi permanently masked for 2.35, and I watch all 2.35 and 16:9 movies within the height of the masking. For aspect changing moves like The Dark Knight, Interstellar etc, I just remove the masking. That way all aspect ratios are correctly preserved relative to each other.

I sit a lot closer than you do which is why it works (around 8 feet from a 104" wide scope screen). Seating distance is very important, especially when running a scope screen set up. The important factor is the seating distance relative to the height - keep it between 2.4 ans 3 and you should be fine. So with your 110" diag scope screen, no further back than 11 feet. Closer would be better but you need to experiment to see what works best for you.

Does it have lens shift? I made some top masking out of 4mm mdf board and some self adhesive black velour off ebay. I hangs on hooks. When I watch a film I just drop the image and add the boards. Works great and cost £30.

Here you go

Attachments

• IMAG0365.jpg
    IMAG0365.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
  • IMAG0368.jpg
    IMAG0368.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 68

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom