• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

12 Years in the same job... Time for a change?

x3j3UKN

I have had quite the success story in my current job, been promoted three times to become one of the senior management team. It is a small ish size company (58 employees) with around a £8m turnover and up until the last financial year quite a healthy profit. (not that ive seen much of this mind!)

Recently, this week actually, some news about our particular field of industry (One that equates to a large chunk of company revenue) has come out and it seems the writing is on the wall for this place as we currently know it. Whilst I have every confidence in the place surviving long term, I do realise the next year to 18 months is going to be tough with almost guaranteed cost savings which obviously will include staff cuts. Now I am fairly certain my position is safe from these cuts, at least for the next 12-18 months, the reason for this is I could actually absorb additional roles due to my skill set & in fact one of my managers has recently left (coincidence) & I am taking on his responsibilities directly. What I am uncertain of though is how this company develops and finds new business, it is not entirely certain for my position to remain.

Now I have just done a quick google of a local ish company (An hours drive away)who offers what we do on a small scale, at a much larger scale. They are looking for a number of employees currently, one post is quite similar to the role I had before being promoted, and is the role I have now re absored into my responsibilities again.

I suppose I have two options here, one is fight for the company I have poured blood, sweat & tears into & that I have and still do thoroughly enjoy working for. It is close to home, rarely do I have to be late home, can get time off as and when I need it.
Or
Jump ship & move on, new job may not be as close to home, but may pay more? Who knows what time I will finish work & what will be expected of me, but potentially, if I choose right, could secure employment for the foreseeable.

Decisions, decisions, what are your guys thoughts?

blue max

Distinguished Member
No specific advice, but I'd do what is right for you, and you alone. Why not apply anyway and see what they are offering and what possibilities there might be for promotion if that's what you want.

Then if that seems like a good move, have a chat to your existing firm and scope out their future plans for you and the company.

Good luck.

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
My personal beliefs are to work for the smaller companies where you can see the fruits of your labour develop, whereas a larger Corporation, your just a payroll number do easily forgotten.

Hard choice, I wish you well!

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
If you're saying the writings on the wall wouldn't it be better to make a positive decision to move now rather than have it forced on you later? Also what do you mean by 'fight for the company'? are you in a position to improve it's outlook? save it?

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
I was thinking this too captain. Is there no way your present company can diversify and improve? Easy to say I know without being there but I am a believer in looking after the little guys and always try and use local where possible for trades.

x3j3UKN

Sure we can diversify, that's what I mean by fight for the company. I have every confidence this place will continue in some form or another, however we are looking at losing a major contract which accounts for a large chunk of turnover (70%+) so what company is left will be very different indeed.

Do I believe I can improve its outlook? Yes, I think I can have a huge part to play in that. Save it? Not so sure I am in that position right now, perhaps its time for the GM's head to roll??

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
Sure we can diversify, that's what I mean by fight for the company. I have every confidence this place will continue in some form or another, however we are looking at losing a major contract which accounts for a large chunk of turnover (70%+) so what company is left will be very different indeed.

Do I believe I can improve its outlook? Yes, I think I can have a huge part to play in that. Save it? Not so sure I am in that position right now, perhaps its time for the GM's head to roll??
You're part of the senior management team so this might not be useful. I worked for the same organisation for 12 years, it was a bit bigger than yours, £600m+ budget, 30,000 employees at it's peak. I wasn't promoted as such but moved up the organisation by applying for different posts. I got as far as I could after 7 years and looking back I wish I'd moved elsewhere but I stayed because the team I worked with were great and like you it had a good work life balance and was a 30 min drive from where I lived. But I got disillusioned because a new head of service was appointed and made changes. Some of them were OK but they were mostly to his authority and give the Chief Officers he was a new broom and go getter. But he was a dysfunctional influence caused problems within our division, between our division and the managers we provided a service to and the trade unions we worked with. He caused so much disruption that when the organisation was looking for voluntary redundancies several of us took the opportunity. So things can go sour very quickly.

x3j3UKN

Appreciate things can decline pretty quickly, will be interesting the next few months that's for sure, especially now bonus's will not be paid for the foreseeable.

I think we could, no I know we can, run this place without the GM & his huge salary. Will the directors see that though?

I have allegiances to the company & the directors & most importantly the staff. The GM though, he's a newcomer (4 years) and from my eyes has used the place to serve himself financially and not for the benefit and future of the business. Trouble is if I speak up I may be fired!

I thnk I've made my mind up for now, and that is to stay and see if we can drag this place back up on its feet, will see how things pan out and if I have to, or if an opportunity arises then I may well be off.

old striker

Appreciate things can decline pretty quickly, will be interesting the next few months that's for sure, especially now bonus's will not be paid for the foreseeable.

I think we could, no I know we can, run this place without the GM & his huge salary. Will the directors see that though?

I have allegiances to the company & the directors & most importantly the staff. The GM though, he's a newcomer (4 years) and from my eyes has used the place to serve himself financially and not for the benefit and future of the business. Trouble is if I speak up I may be fired!

I thnk I've made my mind up for now, and that is to stay and see if we can drag this place back up on its feet, will see how things pan out and if I have to, or if an opportunity arises then I may well be off.

So in short, you have given your all to this company that you work for. Life is just so short or ended unexpectedly so I would personally apply for the other job, go through the motions and would definitely speak up.
What do you have to lose if your present employee that has paid your salary for the last 12 years thinks highly of you ? Surely your comments are for the best interest of the company, if the main man you are speaking to regards you as loyal, hard working and committed to the company.

Those that speak last are never heard, and you may well regret saying nothing.

It is always good to get other peoples opinions, but only you really know what you want to do. Sometimes you may need to step outside your comfort zone and voice your opinion.

The very best of luck to you, what ever the outcome

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
In my case a year after I left, they told the new Head of Service to 'jump before he was pushed' because he'd got the backs up of senior managers and caused so many key personnel to leave his division. They should have sacked him because he ended up in a similar position at another organisation.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Nothing wrong with exploring options quietly.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom