12' x 9' home theatre and speakers choices...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Hikikomori, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Hikikomori

Hikikomori
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm setting-up my oldish HT/Hi-Fi set-up in my spare room which is only 12' long x 9' wide (with various bits of furniture/junk, this PC and a 5' wide chimney breast in it :blush: :D ), is the room big enough (for both home theatre and playing loud music)?

I'm planning on using an old Yamaha DSP-595A amp which needs some new speakers for the front (maybe centre & rears too, I'll find that out later :p ) I've already got a 160w sub that works :eek:

I'm just wondering what kind of speakers to use, floorstanders or stand mounted? (either side of the chimney I was thinking :clown: ), the back of the speakers will need to be against, or be pretty close to the facing wall (so floorstanders are maybe a no, no?)...
    When seated I'll be sitting just over 5' away from the wall.

Also any suggestions on which speakers to get would be helpful (budget around £250-£350).

Ta.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Get some small front ported standmounters like Mission 700 or M70's so they can go up against the wall. Also Monitor Audio Bronze 2's are class speakers. You don't need big floorstanders 'cos you already have a sub. Big speakers will likely boom in your little space. The only floorstanders I know which are at their best against a wall are Yamaha NS200, but they are big and at £300 a set are near the topend of your budget. V.nice speakers if you can make them fit. :)

3. Hikikomori

Hikikomori
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Coincidentally I have been looking at the Yamaha NS-200's & NS-300's, problem is no shops in my area stock them :mad:
    I'd have to buy them blind (impossible for me to travel further a field).

I can get the NS-200's for £229 (I'd prefer the NS-300's (I like the beefier look), but they'd be overkill wouldn't they?).

At the moment, just to check it all works, I'm using some old 3-way front ported 160w Jamo's :blush: (8" woofers, 5" mids & 1" tweeters), sound quality is pretty dire :( (I think the amp is having a hard time driving them, i.e. the woofer dosn't move and hardly any wind comes out of the ports).

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    I came VERY close to getting the NS200's a couple of years ago and when I go over to my cousins place and hear his, I usually kick myself for not getting them! They are a superb design and sound lovely. Avoid the NS300's as they are not as good with a plodding bass from the larger cone. They will be crap in a smallish room like yours. Rather get a nice little sub later, although the 200's give lots of low-end anyway.

Those Jamos sound seriously over-engineered with too many cones! I have less in my surround setup:eek: No wonder your amp has trouble. Dump 'em.:)