1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

12 volt trigger and electric screens (drh)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cwoj, Jul 26, 2004.

1. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a denon 3805 amp, which has 2 x 12 volt triggers. I am also about to chase some cables into the lounge wall, so want to prepare for an electric screen. What does the 12 volt trigger do and will i need it? how do you wire it up and what with? i assume the screen will still need a 240volt supply? can this be a fused spur?

Any advice will be appreciated!! :D

PS i have emailed drh, but no ans :confused:

2. Claymaker

Claymaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have just got a DRH Slimline 240 - hopefully mounting it tonight.

The 12 Volt trigger can be used to automatically drop your screen when you select a source on your amp that will use the screen - when you switch it off - it will automatically rise.

I have a 12V trigger on my 4805 projector. So when I switch my projector on the screen will drop - then when I'm done - it will rise.

I think you need to purchase a 12V Relay to do this - so when the 12V Trigger is active it sends the Drop Screen voltage to the screen.

Chris

3. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply...

where can you buy the relay from? would you need to protect the amp in anyway? what cable would you use? just bell wire?

can you take a couple of pics for me if you get chance, esp the electrical connections etc.

cheers
    cwoj

4. Claymaker

Claymaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I get it mounted tonight - my friend is helping me with the electrics. I know a little but I run everything through him - as he does it for a living - so I know I've not done anything un-safe.

The relay can be bought from places like Maplins. It will isolate your amp from the the rest of the circuit (240V) - as longs as its wired properly. Its simple stuff - there has been another post about doing this on these boards somewhere- have a look around.

I'll let you know how I get on.

5. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I have also just bought one of these and have mounted it (really easy!!) and am having an electrician come round tomorrow to (amoungst other things) sort out the 12V trigger.

I am intending to link it to the trigger on my PJ so hopefully should be in action this time tomorrow, sweeeet!!!!!!

6. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats great, let me know how you get on.

ta
    cwoj

7. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Well new screen (and PJ) installed. Must say I am pretty impressed with the quality of the screen, very good!

Unfortunately didnt manage to get the screen installed using the 12V trigger :( . Even the sparky I have over to help couldnt work out how to do it.

There was very little documentation in the PJ manual about it and phoned DRH and they couldnt help either. Also had a look on here and being the tecno spaz I am couldnt really make head nor tale of it.

So for the time being I have the provided switch which is still pretty cool (would have been nice to sort the trigger out though!!)

8. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    before you buy a relay, you need to know the output of your trigger.If its insufficient, it will not pull the relay in and can damage your amplifier, infact if you dont put a diode across the coil of any relay you use then your likely to kill the trigger circuit through back EMF.

9. Claymaker

Claymaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick update - I got my screen up on Monday Night - my friend got the Trigger working - I'll get a diagram sorted shortly - I'm in London working today - if I get home tonight - see if I can get it done then.

As well as the relay you should have a diode as well that protects the projector/amp.

I have a nice setup - I've got the up/down switch wired up as well - and I can select if I use the trigger or the switch.

I've used an allen key to adjust the drop of the screen so its perfectly aligned where I want it.

Diagram Later...

Chris

10. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris

I would be really intrerested in details of what and how you have used the trigger? Given that i wouldn;t know a diode if it made a pass at me means i need all the help i can get? Do you have any diagrams / pictures?

Cheers
    Chris

11. Claymaker

Claymaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was a diagram posted on here by DoubleRat

Here's the link

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...om/forums/showpost.php?p=1051267&postcount=13

I will try and get my diagram up soon - with wire colours etc.

I got my Relay, Diode & 3.5mm Mono Jack (for the trigger input) from Maplin's - less than £5.

There are 3 wires to the screen, a live wire (used both when raising and lowering) - and one wire (used with the live) to raise, and one to lower. You basically set it up so the relay in the normal position without a voltage applied sends the live mains voltage to the screen wires that make it go up.
    Then when the 12V trigger is sent when I switch my projector on - its switches the relay - which then uses the wires to lower the screen.

The DRH screen has a cutoff when it reaches The Low & High points so the motors are not left running - you can adjust the drop height with an Allen key in the little whole near the end of the projector where the wire comes from.

The diode is connected to your trigger input voltage to ensure the voltage only goes one way - sometimes a small amount can jump back through the wire when the relay triggers - shouldn't be a problem - but a diode will stop this.

If your not comfortable with soldering etc - I would find a friend or relative to do this for you.

12. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would love to see diagram when ready m8 ;)

13. Claymaker

Claymaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Sorry for slow response - been working out of town.
    Here's a diagram of how I got the Trigger setup.
    I have a different setup now - where the switch that comes with the projector is available (by pressing a selector switch I have put on the side of the switch box). I get home on Friday so - will look to see how I wired that up. I'll get the Maplin Part Numbers as well.

Here's first diagram
    [​IMG]

14. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any news on the parts m8?

15. Raymond

Raymond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick question about the Diode. I assume that the plus side of the diode goes to the positive terminal of the 12volts dc. Is this correct?

16. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has anyone got a parts list for this?

17. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ive just looked at this and have been to maplins and got a relay a diode and a stereo 3,5mm jack. I have a panny AE500 and although not plugged in yet( new room up and running any time soon) it should all work, i have manually triggered the relay with a 12v battery, so i know it works( screen stays up with the relay not triggered ) and comes down with the 12v applied. i have also used a spare 3.5mm jack and a multileter to get the corret pin outs for the panasonics trigger. I have put the + of the diode on the + part of the 12v output. I assume this to be right. Can someone verify.

when i get a chance i will get the parts list. together. but i opted for an 8pin plug in relay 12v coil double pole double through. ( alhtough only one pole is used to swith the live to the screen.) plug in could be useful for quick release changes, although should do 100,000 operations

18. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having real trouble with the 12v signal from the ae500, it doesnt appear to have enough current behind it energize a 12v dc relay. Is anyone else having problems?

19. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. lzk4

lzk4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pre-wiring my basement for a 12 volt trigger from projector to screen (wire will run from projector to wall-switch that controls the screen). I plan on using CAT5 24 gauge wire. Is this OK? I was about to purchase CAT5 wire, but the guy at the store said I need thicker wire like 18 gauge to carry 12 volts.

I plan on buying the Panasonic AE500 or the just announced AE700. BTW, I know this is a UK site, and I live in the US, but I really do like this forum a lot, hence the post here.

Thanks

21. andy9

andy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not too sure on the gauge size, but i used normal speaker wire to carry the trigger, its low power (very) voltage.