1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

12 volt switching

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by caleb, Jan 15, 2005.

1. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Help please - I am putting two Bryston 7b-SST monoblocks into the front speakers next week.
    Problem is they will not interact with the TAG bus to switch on and off.

They will however respond to a 12 volt input to do this.

Can I use my AV32 to do this with the action switches - and how?? :lease:

Thanks
    Caleb

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yes you can :D I use the action switches to control my Parasound HCA2205a. First you need to get yourself a cheap 12v power supply, some bell wire, a HD 9 plug, some heat shrink and some little spade terminals :smashin: Oh and of course you will need a soldering Iron and solder. First look up the pin switch configuration in the AVs manual. You will need to feed the - cable from the 12v supply straight to the negative terminal on the back of thr Bryston and then feed the + cable to one end of one of the three switches in the AV, soldering it to the appropriate pin on the HD9 plug. Take the bell wire and solder one end to the other contact pin of the same switch. Then take the other end of the bell wire and attatch it to the positive switch terminal on the Bryston. Go into the menu system on the AV and in the action switches section tell it to close or switch on the appropriate switch when using which ever source you intend to use the amps for. Do the same with the second amp just using a different action switch :thumbsup: Keep the little 12v power supply plugged in and switched on all the time. When you select the appropriate source the AV will close the switch, let the power through and switch on your amps :clap: All the bits and bobs to do it cost me about £10.00 and it works a treat :)

3. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    As usual it must be said that if your not competent with this work you should get someone that is to do this, it shouldn't cost much as Thunder says it is very standard practice.

4. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks to both.

The soldering bit sounds a bit daunting (I'm a textile man).

I will however give it a go and let you know the outcome next week.

By the way Graham, your mail re the TAG av32DPs sound interesting - I must investigate best prices to exchange my SP for a DP.

Thanks again
    Caleb

5. pgilford

pgilford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use an action switch to control my 9B - think of the simple light bulb circuit from school - the Tag is operating as a switch, the amp is the bulb, and the 12 v power supply is the battery. Wire them as a circuit and it will work! You don't need to solder - the Bryston and Tag both accept bare wire with the help of a small screw driver. Polarity doesn't matter for the Bryston, and it will work with any old power supply between 4 & 12V - I'm using an old BT cordless phone supply....