1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

12" or 10"

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Tainted, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Tainted

Tainted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

After much reading, starrring at my sub and playing various movies and music I have decided to make my first post.

I bought a Gale 3090 sub (£169.99), looked great as RicherSounds but when I got it home realised it's rather big for my flat. I intended to go and get a 10" but saw the 12" and it made all of them look really small. I also felt for future use the 12" would last longer.

Now my question to everyone, would you return it and take the Gale Storm 10 sub seeing as it's half the price and I live in a flat. Secondly even if I were to live in a end terrace house here in the UK I think a 10" would still make enough low annoying bass to cause complaints.

Am I wasting money here? Even though I cannot turn it up fully am I still getting the desired output one would need or should I get the 10".

I'm really confused.....

2. Gman85

Gman85

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, i've seen both these subs and was going to buy the 3090. That sub is a beast in size, however the 3080 is a 10" and seems smaller. The 3090 will dig deeper, but it is smaller. If you can get your hands on a 3080 then that'll be a far better choice.

I wouldn't judge a sub by the size of the driver, some smaller subs (e.g Rel Quake) can make just as much noise as some large bulky Yamaha sub!

The 30** series where based on the old Mordaunt Short subs (MSW-20)

As for the Gale Storm 10............. AVOID THAT!! It is an awful sub, and you get what you pay for. If you wanna stick with richersounds then i recommend you get the Mordaunt Short ms308 at £150 or £130 on the net!

Thats all said for a budget sub, but if you can stretch to £215 you could get a ,Mordaunt Short MS309 :) from PeterTysons, with delivery and interconnect!

3. Tainted

Tainted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not really on a budget but don't want to waste money where it's not needed. hence the if a 10" would do the same then why not!

I would you to cover up the port to tighten the bass a little though with the woofer cooker files I ran it sounded awesome. I could be tone deaf though. Running it through the yamaha RX650 amp. Seemed to reach those low khz alright and get right in your head.

If this is based on the Mordan Short series of subs and I seem to hear good things about them, then is it a worthy sub to keep rather than risk downgrading to something worse. I don't think RS sell the 3080 anymore!!

The HDTV clip of Terminator 3 sounds awesome when Arnie fires the rocket into the T3 babe in the cemetery. I could feel it explode. The sub is on half volume and the amp was on -10.

My major concern was not the qualit of this sub but if I was wasting money in a overkill situation when I can't crank it due to the living environment.

Going to have to think some more.....

4. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    It's not all just down to the size of the driver, theres the size of the amp as well. Plus my other half has always been happy with my 9" :D

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There isn't really such a thing as a sub that is too powerful for the room (unless you go to ridiculous extremes) as it will just cruise along less stressed. A motoring analogy would be the Ford Fiesta and Mercedes as both will cruise happily ay the legal limit but one will be much more effortless doing so.

I haven't heard either sub but would suggest that if you are happy with the larger sub that you keep it as a smaller driver in a smaller case with perhaps other different internal components may sound completely different to your ears.

Having said that, if it were my money I would probably try and swap it for the Mordaunt Short MS309 which may cost a little more but you will probably find the bass to be tighter and more controlled

6. Tainted

Tainted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    true the amp backing the sub makes the difference... Spent loads of time with my uncle beginning of the year debating, concrete tubes, ports, digital amplifiers for woofers..

I'm going to keep this one cause well to take it back and spend more I can't justify to myself. It's a big improvement over the last sub.

Do you think blocking the port when not playing it at high volume would produce a better or tighter bass. I once had 2 x 10" in my car, the box was split and sealed. Accord made it for a demo car. The bass was rather tight compared to the 2 x 12" I stuck in single compartment box with a port. Although I enjoy deep bass I would like the best of both world. I feel sealing the port would help this, and since I won't be cranking it won't be restricting the cone too much?

Thanks for the replies guys..
    These forums are brilliant.