12 In Stock At Toys R Us Harlow

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by mochadoke, Jan 5, 2007.

1. mochadoke

mochadoke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just been to Toys R Us in Harlow and they have twelve in stock. Unfortunatley only bundles though. £280 and you get Red Steel and two games of your choice. The selection is poor though and no Zelda so I left on principal. But if anyone else wants one they still had a load 40 mins ago. I really think this bundle thing is ilegal and certainly against our statutory rights. Its like walking in to Tesco and being told you can only buy milk if you also purchase, Tea, sugar and a set of mugs. Does anyone know for sure what the legalities are. If they come in seperatley from the suplier (which they are) the customer should have the choice to buy it seperatley.

2. scor81

scor81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    yeah.. god damm toys r us for what they have done with their wii bundles. It would be interesting to know if what they are doing is legal.. i suppose it is, but it certainly aint ethical

3. Golf_turbo

Golf_turbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Why isn't it legal? there can sell things how they want, you don't have to buy. Tesco couldn't do that though could they as you would just go else where. Wanna get a Wii from else where, then good luck trying!

4. Terminator3d

Terminator3d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh theres nothing illegal about what they are doing. Certain retailers did this with the 360 release last year too.

5. mochadoke

mochadoke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just because they did it last year doesn't mean it's not ilegal. I would invite people with actual legal knowledge to comment as I am still not so sure. Anyone out there who works for Citizens Advise? There is such a thing as Trading standards. I wouldn't just accept it, just because they have done it before. Clearly nobody questions it, so they don't have to worry, the police have better things to do than go down to Toys R Us.

6. milkmanchris

milkmanchris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    TRU are offering you the consumer a package, take it or leave it.

As other posters have said if you dont like go elsewhere, it is not your given right to be able to purchase from them what you want, but what they want to sell you.

I bought the same package from TRU after queueing on the 16/12, again the choice of games was poor, however we were told as long as the games were returned unopened they could be swapped when more stock arrived, a promise that has been fulfilled in my case.

Dont get me started on the supermarket and milk situation, I nearly lost a house over that old chestnut

7. mochadoke

mochadoke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I did just that, I left it, and will go somewhere else. I, personally don't have money to throw away, so another £100 on top of what I should be spending is asking for peoples desperation to kick in. You may be able to swap them but I personally don't want them in the first place. I have plenty of gamecube games to be getting on with. I think that's why at 5pm there where still 12 sitting on the shelf when they were delivered at 9am. I saw others walk away as well, just while I was there. A friend of mine just told me that last year a similar thing happened to him with the 360, when he had actually reserved a unit on it's own, when he went to collect, they would only let him have it if he took a bundle. When he threatened to check on the law, they relented and took the games off. INTERESTING, don't you think?

8. Sherlock64

Sherlock64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a difference there though - if he reserved and paid a deposit on just a single item then the contract has been formed on that basis and they can't then amend their side of the deal.

TRU are well within their rights to sell their items as a bundle, you are well within your rights not to buy it. I wouldn't either and it is a shame there are stocks on shelves when people are still trying to get a console on its own (me included).

AFAIK the only thing retailers cannot include within bundles is extended warranties - they can offer them to you as an extra but not force you into them as part of a package.

9. milkmanchris

milkmanchris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    If your friend pre ordered the console alone then thats what he can expect, and was quite right in his complaint.

As for the current TRU deals, like i said you pays your money you gets your choice.

However as i have said earlier the seller can dictate how it sells its products, consider the SKY packages you try and get SkySports without the family/variety packages. Or the movie channels as standalone packages...No chance

You made the right decision for you on the day, you should be happy.

10. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Immoral maybe but certainly not illegal.
    No shop is obliged to sell yo anything. Displaying it - even with an incorrect price is merely an "invitation to treat" - i.e. you can make an offer for the goods but they're certainly not obliged to accept it. If they do though then it is a contract and must be fulfilled. Hence a pre-order cannot legally be changed to a 'package' because that wasn't what was explicitly ordered...
    It does sting though - they know people want one and use the opportunity to get rid of crappy games..

11. mochadoke

mochadoke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You may all be right, I'm not claiming to know. However, the one thing I would say is that my friend hadn't paid anything, it was only a reservation. But even if he had paid a deposit, surely on your logic, they didn't give an exact date that they would provide him with the console, so when it is first released and there is a big demand, they initially sell it only as a package because they know people will buy it in desperation. But they were trying to say to him, come back when the fuss has died down. But the fact is he reserved a console, they had consoles on the shelf, it comes from Nintendo as an individual item, so he demanded to have one. I actually had my kids in the car and didn't want them to know I'm trying to get one so didn't want to cause a fuss myself, otherwise I may have tried that.

12. Sherlock64

Sherlock64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The law might be on the store's side in this case, it depends on whether a reservation without a paid deposit is actually a contract or not (and if not they have no legal obligation to honour it, only goodwill). If he had paid a deposit I suppose it would depend on what the deposit was actually for and whether a date was specified. Getting a store to commit to a time is of the essence contract with a specified date for a console order isn't likely to happen.

Often the shop assistant will take the anything-for-an-easy-life option and let them take the console without the bundle, like they did for your friend. Pity TRU aren't being so flexible with the Wiis they have at the moment.

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    Can't see a problem with it at all - I bought a bundle from TRU but have enjoyed all the games I got with it and at the end of the day the console is no good without games!

As MilkmanChris said, you can leave any you don't want unopened and take them back to exchange for titles you want. There are loads of games about and stores get deliveries of all of the titles on a regular basis.

Bottom line is, like with anything else, you either buy or you don't buy. I mean, Sony force you to buy a Blu Ray Player with their PS3 and that can't be changed.

I'm personally very grateful for TRU as without their 16/12 shipments I would have most likely not had one by Christmas :).

14. scor81

scor81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    maybe you mis-read what i said.. as i didnt say it was illegal. And I did manage to get a wii elsewhere fyi.. so dont act like tru is the only option

15. Bren

Bren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I got stuck with a terrible package from TRU. iI got in touch with head office & the store manager rang me next day to apologise & offer me swaps on any game i did not want.

16. shagaboopon

shagaboopon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    It is not illegal to advertise a bundle with an extended warranty I believe but you have to make the customer aware that the bundle includes it and if they do not want it you must sell without I believe.