12 hour shift patterns and Days..?

50pounds

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a problem at the place i work.

we have 5 shifts and these are spilt into 3 to a team there are doing 12hour shift 4days on 4days off.. this is 2days 6-6 and then 2 night shifts 6-6

now ive been put on days.. less money and i will be doing 8-4 mon-friday

there say there can't get 2 people into the shift pattern for everyone to do days and it change from week to week or even month to month.

any ideas?? cos i can't seem to work it out my self.

what does your contract say?

have you spoken to ACAS?

have you spoken to a union rep if you are a member?

how long have you been employed?

what type of work is it?

Not quite sure what it is your asking.

I do a similar pattern, 2 days (7am to 7pm) followed by 2 nights (7pm to 7am), then 4 days off, where the end of my last night shift is my first day off (so spent in bed).

PCthug said:

I do a similar pattern, 2 days (7am to 7pm) followed by 2 nights (7pm to 7am), then 4 days off, where the end of my last night shift is my first day off (so spent in bed).

Exactly the same as me and I really like it. I don't think I could go back to a Monday-Friday, 9-5.

Don't work at Felixstowe Docks do you?

Ok sorry for the long delay in getting back to you guys

Whats happend is some people where i work are on shifts so there is 5 shifts A-E and there could not put me and another person in the shifts so there put us on days

now im trying to get these days put into the rota so it equal for all of us to do days but i can't get it in with days off etc

so shifts a-e there do 12hour shifts which 4 in 4 off then when there have done 7 of these shift's there get 18days off.

i will be doing days.. mon-fri 8-4 and then i lose the 7grand shift allowance :(

Ive spoke to the union there going in a meeting on thursday
contract says i will be working a shift pattern but also states that it might change due to the business needs.

I work at SSI uk (steel plant)

thanks for the replys

how long have you been employed?

what hours have you been working since you started?

what hours have you been working in the last 3 months in particular?

how many staff are there in the "shift pool" and how many people are required per shift? thus how many people aren't doing the shifts? ie. is this an issue that affects only you, or others - in regards no not doing the shifts?

do you know why it's not rotated more so everyone has a chance of shifts and days? i presume you get different hourly rates depending on what shift you are on?

Hello Unique thanks for your replys

Ive been there 3months and ive been working 6-2 / 1-9 for the past 4weeks

there is 17 of us in the bay now out of these 17 two people have been taken out and put on days IE me and another lad.

the rest are on shifts.. like this..

A - SHIFT
B - SHIFT
C - SHIFT
D - SHIFT
E - SHIFT

3 to a shift and there do 12hour shifts.. 4 days on 4days off then 7 cycles 18 days off.

now i will be doing mon-fri 8-4 and i lose my shift allowance £7225 this is alot of money to lose so im trying to get me and another lad rotaed into the system so we all can share days.

does this make sense?

cheers

Have you been told you're going to lose your shift allowance then?
If you're coming off shift work and being put on to a set pattern then you should get a new contract to go with it. If you don't get a new contract they should still be paying your shift allowance, I think.
As you've only been there 3 months, are you in a probationary period?

have you spoken to ACAS? what have they said?

if your contract says they can change your shifts and you've only been there for 3 months so have no real set precident of working specific shifts all the time, it doesn't sound like you have too strong a case. and within the first year of employment it's easy to let someone go

does the shift allowance only apply when you are working certain shifts, or is that paid just because you are available to work shifts? what does the contract state regarding that payment?

Sorted now guys there are still giving me my shift allowance and there cant take it away which is a bouns :)

thanks for all the replys and help guys

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom