12 drivers? All flash, no bang I suspect

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Gregory, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc/engadget/~3/153865636/

Anyone seen this. 12 drivers in what looks like a small cabinet. Post seems to indicate it has 7kW of power (12 times 600W). Seems a little unlikely, and if true a triumph of power of subtlety - feels like it would use the power to overcome the air spring of a small sealed cabinet, but I can't see how that would yeald especially clean sound. But, first impressions can be wrong, and it does look fairly entertaining!

Greg

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'd assume it was isobaric in design so the internal pressure shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'd be interested to learn about how they've managed to keep the structure solid enough to support all of that kit. :)

3. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Doesn't look isobaric unless I'm missing something you can see. There are 10 drivers (not 12 as I originally said) and they are on 10 of the faces of a dodecahedron. Not sure how that could have a constant pressure inside unless some half of the drivers were out of phase, and that feels like it could be complex to balance since they would tend to cancel each other out....

Actually, while I write this I found another link that says it works as a dipole, so I guess you're right. Still feels like a complex soln. though, and assuming it does do something, then I'm not sure why a dodecahdron is the right answer. I'd have expected something optimised to focus/expand the dipole sweet spot more, and those types of optimisations don't often result in nice regular shapes.I'd love to know how it sounds, but can't find any commentary on that!

Greg

4. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Here is the designer giving an explanation of how they tune the directionality of the bass. Sounds confident doesn't he?

The thing that bothers me and I'll suspend disbelief for a moment, is that if there is a sweet spot in front of the sub where full bandwidth bass occurs, then there must be one behind it too. It is, after all, a dipole. Am I wrong?

I'm having trouble getting my head round a bass source which can steer 40ft long waves and emanate sound over a defined distance in one direction only. All that with only 10 drivers being enough to control room interaction too.:confused:

Russell

5. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    10 x 10" drivers is only about the same as four 15"s.

The designer appears to trying for a lobed nearfield performance with rapid cancellation and roll-off with distance and off axis.

I suppose a super cardioid polar response is what he is really after.

I wonder how its polar response changes with smaller rooms.

Housing the enclosure in a small room would be difficult anyway.

If the box is sealed then with so many drivers this would raise the natural resonance of the overall system dramatically.

6. bsimmer3000

bsimmer3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24

I dont know what the hell you just said then!! but i agree lol

7. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    I wouldn't. ;)

8. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Or, in any room where it wasn't sat at least as far away from the wall as the listener was from the sub. The video seems pretty unpersuasive on this since they measure performance in a large room with no rear reflecting surface anywhere nearby. But, if you want something that looks like that, then I suppose having it sat right in the middle of the room will get it talked about ;) Certainly doesn't look like you could drape a tablecloth over it an pretend it was a table though!

Greg

9. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    I wonder whether the geometry of the deco isn't irrelevant to producing two antiphase spherical wavefronts? A column containing a similar number of drivers might produce an even more lobed polar response. It would probably not be as physically stable but would greatly reduce the required floor area at the cost of greater height. One further wonders whether a more squat design using much larger drivers would not be more beneficial. Even a 2 x 15 box with drivers front and rear would be a starting point for home experimentation. Two forward firing active subs set back to back and 180 degrees out of phase with each other would have the makings of an interesting experiment in nearfield wavefront shaping. :)

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  11. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Thanks EJ. I had completely forgotten about this thread.
    Double dose of Omega3 for me in future. :D
    As long as I remember to take them. :suicide:

12. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Intriguing. I was also musing on how it could be done properly whilst preparing a chunk of the garden for turf (anything to get my mind off the back-breaking work!). I can see how the use of 3 drivers, per the last thread might be pretty tricky to use cleanly in a normal domestic setting since it relies on a relatively open sound-stage. But, I do wonder if there is an option for a much more 'controlled' version using many drivers and digital optimisation - like the Yamaha surround sound thing that came out a year or two back. It would allow the 'least worst' polar response, and would also give EQ balance to boot. Not sure what it would actually end up costing, but digital domain stuff is pretty cheap in enough volume.

Greg