• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question 12 bit OLED TVs

Sy Hash

Novice Member
Hi everybody,
Is there really a 12 bit OLED Dolby Vision tv in the market right now, or are we being just deceived by LG into beleiving their new, actually 10 nits tvs are the only dolby vision tvs.
I'll appreciate any help on the subject as I'm looking to upgrade my tv to dolby vision / HDR10.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I'm not quite sure what you're asking there. LG's offerings aren't the only TVs on the market capable of playing Dolby Vision content and if there's a claim that they are then it's out of date.

Dodgexander

The UHD Premium spec states a TV only has to accept a 10bit signal, not necessarily have a 10bit panel.

Right now TVs aren't quite utilising 8bit colours with HDR, let alone 10 bit or 12 bit. Its not important at the moment and likely will never be with HDR. Do not worry about bit depth...certainly not even 10bit or not until TVs start to surpass 8 bit panels with colour tests.

Perhaps tv's will star to see an advantage in using 10bit panels when they start to score around 90% rec2020 coverage scores.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I'm not even sure it has a comparable definition on an OLED. What do LG mean when they talk about a '10-bit OLED panel'? 1024 brightness steps per subpixel?

ryanvincent

Banned
We could see 12bit panels next year or in 2019 to take full advantage of dolby vision and we can also expect the panels to hit closer to 1000nits next year as well.

Dodgexander

Ultra HD 4K and beyond: Rec. 2020 glimpses the future of TVs

The other side of the color conversation is bit depth, or how many shades of each color there are. The current TV system is 8 bits per color: 256 shades, minus some margin on either end. This means that Rec. 709 is capable of a maximum of 16.78 million colors (256 red x 256 green x 256 blue).

Rec. 2020 stipulates 10 or 12 bits. With 10-bit, this means a possible 1,073,741,824 colors (1,024x1,024x1,024). Yowzers. With 12-bit (4,096x4,096x4,096), it's even crazier: 68,719,476,736!!! 68 billion colors. Beat that, Skittles.

Right now 10bit panels aren't being full utilised, sometimes even 8 bit panels have less colour banding. So strange that they are considering 12 bit so soon.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
We could see 12bit panels next year or in 2019 to take full advantage of dolby vision and we can also expect the panels to hit closer to 1000nits next year as well.

I don't understand that comment, what are you expecting four times as many brightness steps to help with if the peak brightness only goes up by 10-20%?

ryanvincent

Banned
I don't understand that comment, what are you expecting four times as many brightness steps to help with if the peak brightness only goes up by 10-20%?
You do know next years models are using Cynora's Blue TADF?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom