1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

12 amps!??? (help)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Silent Fly, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My old Harman-Kardon died few weeks ago :zonked: and now I am looking for a new amp. It is for my spare room so I do not need anything expensive. The amp will be connect to a mixer (that works as pre) and to small JBLs. As the mixer works as pre-amplifier, in theory I could use just a power amp.

Well, Richer Sounds looked liked a good starting point. I visited the web site and... aaargh! :eek: 12 amps that could be ok for my budget (£140).

The combination Cambridge Audio C500/P500 looks interesting. I could use just the P500 and keep the C500 as a spare. Unfortunately I am not very keen on Cambridge Audio. The amps construction looks very cheap (besides the fact that I find the pushy attitude of RS towards C.Audio very annoying :mad:).

I like the Sony TAFE570. I would look very nice close to my Sony CD player. But the Sony amplifiers I heard (few years ago) did not sound that nice. :confused:

What about the Yamaha AX396? Marantz PM6010OSE?

I know. I an ideal world I should try all of them. I should have a proper listening and then decide.:lesson: Considering that RS shops are always full of customers and that I would be very lucky to find just 50% of the models in stock... well I don’t see the test happening.

Help!

Thanks Guys :hiya:

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    You don't say what music you listen to and whether you are using decks, but many of my mates use mixers and those that use them with Yamaha amps tend to have the best all-round sound. Many records (esp. white lables) tend to be of less than CD quality and the smooth sound of the Yam helps tame the exuberrant top-end. 60W of power is plenty too.

3. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair comment Nobber22 :cool:

I will be more specific. I use the mixer to mix my CD player, PC, guitar and bass. It is a Mackie similar to the 1202-VLZ Pro

I listen a little bit of everything. Jazz, funky, classical, rock.

4. bunkerbuster2

bunkerbuster2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used a load of the Mackie equipment and know the sound of the little desks..

They err on the thin side of neutral and if i were you I would consider a moderately warm souding power stage (the Marantz Perhaps?)
    I have not heard any of the amps you mention but I recommend you pick from the warmest.

As for the Cambridhe pre/power, every piece of Cambridge ear I have ever heard was hard sounding to say the least.

5. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks bunkerbuster2 :smashin:

I was thinking to the Marantz PM4200 (£109.95).

The Sony TAFE570 (£119.95) would look very nice close to the CD player, though... :cool:

Any experience with Sony amps?

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Got a credit card? Try this: choose 3 amps from RS as a short-list, buy them all (its only about £350 total) and take them home. Demo them and return the 2 you don't like. RS gives you 7 days to return anything you don't like for a refund.

7. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobber22,

I must confess that I though about it. The only problem is that I do not have a car and try to carry 3 amps on the underground wouldn’t be easy!:zonked:

On a second thought... I can try one amp at the time...:laugh:

8. bunkerbuster2

bunkerbuster2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loads of experience with Sony amps... but they differ wildly

I use the full 9000es range at the moment and am in love

My advice:

Take your little desk into RS and try all 3 with a set of monitors you know the sound of (or if it comes to it I'd say a set of Crestas)

And pick one that provides a neutral balance (if it's Control 1's you have)