1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

12/240v relay (DPDT) required for electric screen

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Kramer, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK guys, I've recently acquired an 8' electric screen from an "esteemed" forum member.

Thing is I want to make this baby "remote controllable" using my Denon 3803 receiver.

The Denon has a customisable "12 volt" trigger for screens etc.. It only outputs 20mA at 12v though & most relays (12/240v) I've found have a 200mA coil voltage.

Anyone any ideas for a 20mA 12/240v relay (i.e. 12v 20mA coil switching a 240v "line"), preferably of the DPDT variety?

I can always get a 12/12v relay (with a low coil voltage requirement) & use this to feed a 12/240v relay (200mA), but one relay would be far more convenient.

Ideas anyone?

2. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could use the 12v output via a resitor,to trigger an opto triac, which will switch a 240v relay coil,it would be a good idea to put a diode across the relay coil to protect the opto triac from back emf

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply ;)

Still looking for a solution to this. I really want to use a relay to prevent any risk of damage to my Denon 3803. There must be a 12/240v relay somewhere with very low coil current :(

Any other suggestions :confused:

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, not much info forthcoming on this...

Anyone know of any "electronic" forums etc... or sites with such relays???

Not the usual Farnell etc...I've trawled the usual places...

Would like to get this sorted real soon ;)

5. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have a look at this - not sure what the trigger current is - looks like it might be 50mA at 12V, unfortunately. Might be worth investigating?

6. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have a look here too - a series of relay kits - there are a couple of mains rated vertsions. Give them a ring - I've enquired about things before, and they are very helpful.

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Richard, meant to reply & thank you sooner :)

I actually sourced one last week, a DPDT one with a 100mA coil voltage. I tried it & it's A-OK.

Screen finished now - all cabling hidden & fully remote controlled - just need to go about masking it down to 16/9 now.

Thanks again ;)