1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

11HT vs AE100 - 3x the price for what ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tempest, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Just wondering seeing this projector win this award.

Apart from a higher resolution and higher lumens

What makes the Sony 11HT worth three times the cost of the Panasonic AE100 ?

Forget and fancy gimmics and modes etc etc.
    When it comoes to actually sitting down to watch a movie on your 7 foot screen is the Sony THAT much better ?

Just wondering ?

And, if it is 3x better, in what ways would you notice this ?

Thanks

2. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Hmmmm, over 50 views and not 1 comment.

Either my posting is too stupid to comment on :D

Or no-one can think how Sony can justify 3x the price for the difference it offers.

I was kinda expecting Sony Owners to come rushing here to post all the excellent benefits of going down the much more expensive route....

Do I take it, the price gap cannot be justified ?

I'l love to see these projectors set up well running side by side in a darkened cinema style setting to see just how bad the little Panny does against the monster Sony.

I have nothing for, or against either. I'm just trying to find out.

3. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Purchasing situations are based on an entirely personal criterion.

What one person spends is not compatible with another.

However with home cinema its usually not a case of 2 x, 3 x or whatever more a case of what suits the person buying the product.

In real terms ofcourse the sony will not be 3 x better - but that extra cash will buy you into a new into a new level and unfortunatley it is diminishing returns but bear in mind projectors and kit are infinitely tweakable that last few percent does count to some people and that is where you will spend the money.

The panasonic may well get you on the path but the sony will take the path further. It's upto you to decide whether the extra money is worth it and from my experience you will only know 6 months down the line once you own one.

4. Hoglet

Hoglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Tempest,

I saw both, and in the end could not justify spending £3,800 on the Sony versus £1,425 on the Panny, but for my situation there were other factors. Here are my *personal* reasons for that choice. YMMV!

I was looking for a "coffee table" projector, i.e. small, short throw and easily put-away-able. The Sony is much larger than the Panny, and has a longer throw. It also has a slightly noiser fan, comparing both in their low light output modes.

I work in the technology industry and am aware of some of the general trends in digital projector technology. I would guess that within 18 months there will be an affordable 720p LCOS based widescreen format projector targetted at home cinema. When (if) this happens, I think I would have regretted paying for today's best LCD (which I think is what the Sony is).

Both Liz and myself are rainbow sensitive, so the cheaper DLPs with 1x colour wheels were out.

I enjoy playing with PCs, and had already built a HCPC before I bought a projector. Both the Sony and Panny give their best when driven at their native resolutions from a HCPC. However, the Sony does an excellent job of scaling and de-interlacing when driven from a S-VHS or Component source. Far, far better than the Panny. The bigger the screen, the more obvious some of the deficiencies in the Panny electronics are. A cheap progressive DVD player *may* look as good as a HTPC on the Panny (the Jury is still out on this), but I think interlaced sources look awful.

Finally, and most importantly, with the Sony, you are essentially getting 2.5x more pixels. This makes a *massive* difference to screen door effect, allowing images that are significantly larger before the pixel structure becomes visible.

We are projecting a 6 foot wide image, and viewing from about 14 feet back. At this distance the screen door on the Panny is invisible most of the time. Much closer and it is not. Had we wanted to achieve a larger image (say 8 foot wide) at this distance, then, in my view, the pixels on the Panny would be very visible and distracting.

A good rule of thumb is that pixel structure is visible if viewing from less than (2000 / number of horizontal pixels) screen widths. For the Panny this is 2.33 screen widths. For the Sony this is 1.46 screen widths. From my experience I would say this rule of thumb matches what I have seen from both of these projectors.

So, ask yourself these questions:
    1) How big a screen do you want?
    2) From what distance will you be viewing?
    3) How sensitive are you to the screen door?
    4) How long do you expect to keep the projector for?
    5) What else could you spend the additional £2,400 on?

--- Dave

BTW, I spent the "savings" on a Denon AVC-A11SR and some half price Ruarks!

5. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is quite simple - three times the price for 3 times the resolution!! :rolleyes: (or number of pixels, to be exact). The well reviewed built in de-interlacer and various other features the sony has make both PJs well specced in their relative price ranges.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually think the Sony is good value-when in terms of quality(..whatever your preferences..)it more than hold its own with dlp projectors costing 3-5k more.
    I.M.H.O.it is a far better projector than the Sim 200ht-and it was based on a shootout of these two that made me plump for the Sony!
    I think the Panny for the dough is a fair little projector-it wouldnt be for me though because of the evident screendoor and limited resolution.
    Having said this,I prefer the Panny to the Sony Cineza-which is dearer.
    I think though,that all the posts about the Panny clearly show that people are interested-and so they should be-great price!!!
    Doug :p

7. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definately 11HT is not the best projector in the market.
    One of the best though. :D

But I believe 11HT is one of the best value for money in projector market at the moment.
    :)

8. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which one do you think is better than the 11HT?

9. Li On

Li On

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Donno about the 11HT. Just watched the AE100 side by side to a 10HT last night. Sources are HTPC and HDTV. My advice to the 10HT owner, dump it and get the AE100 ASAP!

[​IMG]

regards,

Li On

10. Retronana

Retronana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194

You don't get any higher recomendation IMHO:D

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well.this is getting interesting..
    The 11ht wins gold in the shootout in greece against 37 other projectors-the Panny comes last..
    Yet the Panny is supposed to be better than the 10ht?

Puzzling...:D

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps the performance of the Panny can far outweight its cost in relation to other devices.....but it seems very dependant on the source...
    Perhaps Li On could give us the exact spec of the HCPC he is using, exact cabling, and and other devices.......and then prospective buyers can weigh up the costs involved to get aforementioned results.....rember if you want to run your PS2 or X box etc....the pictures obtained are not going to be anywhere near as good on the Panny. Also remember you may want to run your Sky Digital through your projector.
    Your comments on your exact set up will be gratefully received Li On, you may just be saving me a lot of money...so i am still very open minded at present
    Best regards
    LittleT2

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any further comments from Li On?

14. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Li On

I know your reputation precedes you but can you qualify your your recomendation to dump the Sony PJ!

Personally I do not own a PJ at this time and have been reading all the views from both this group and the AVS forum for the past three weeks to try and make up my mind which PJ to buy. Seems to me that it's horses for courses, if you need a long throw PJ or want to watch an 8ft screen up close up, this may be a reason to choose the Sony. On the other hand if funds are tight and the viewing room is small, the Panny might be a better choice. There are of course many other good reasons to choose a PJ but I'm sure you get my idea.

Was your comment on dumping the Sony made after staying up most of the night testing or is their really some rational behind the word DUMP?

15. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

...Bear in mind of course that the Panasonic is currently the flavour of the month. As noted by someone else, every time a decent cheap projector comes out you get a huge flood of posts talking about nothing else other than how great it is.

Gav

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im a little suspicious of comments regarding the PT100 by some members of the HT enthusaist community.

After reading everyones views about it, I think it is safe to say that it sets a new standard at the given price point in terms of quality and features.

However, when certain people say thats its better than (well regarded) projectors costing 3x the price, and maintain that HDTV gives noticable better results on it (despite the fact that the panel is not HD) then you have to wonder at the motive for the comments.

El

17. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    well I've had a AE100 for a couple of weeks now and am really enjoying it, but I have to say I am looking forward to getting a VW11HT this weekend (fingers crossed)..

18. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Steve

You have my attention, I will keep my fingers crossed for you too;) I for one would love to see another opinion especially if the PJ's are side by side.

Chris

19. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    I think it's the screendoor effect that is spoiling it for me. Shame really as I only opted for panny 'cos of progressive..
    I genuinely think the component (non progressive) picture was as good on my Sony CS3 (and there was no screendoor)..

20. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

How close are you sitting (relative to the screen width)?

Gav