11HT Brightness settings

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NB2121, Apr 8, 2002.

1. NB2121

NB2121
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just upgrated from my one year old 10HT to a brand new 11HT.
    The picture is great but one thing is strange. In all temp. settings brightness (which is of course set to 50) gives a very dark image. I hardly see the various details in dark scenes (I use Cinema Black ON).
    I used AVIA disk, and I had to increase the setting to 64 for LOW and 62 for custom3, but in any case I have to correct the factory setting !! All other factory settings (i.e contrast, color ets)where OK (approx. 50). Only sharpness had to be reduced to 30.
    Does any of you have had the same thing ?? Is this normal or there is something wrong with the proj.??
    My dvd player is Sony DVP NS900 with RGBS connection from the RGB out of the NS900.
    I will appreciate any comment.

Thanks

Nick

2. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. A couple of things here. Firstly, my own experience with Sony players running RGB is that the picture appears dark. If you look around the forum you'll find threads that also mention this so its fairly safe to assume that RGB through (most) Sony's results in a dark picture. Secondly, adjusting your 11HT to compensate is making the PJ look like it is at fault. It isn't. The standard factory settings for the 11HT are more or less acceptable, though not optimum by a long chalk.

What to do? My opinion is that you are looking at the wrong piece of equipment, the PJ is OK. I believe that the dvd player picture settings allow adjustment of colour, brightness and possibly contrast and gamma. I reckon its there where you should be looking to balance the picture. Check your manual.

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,105
    Theres nothing wrong with any of your kit in my opinion.
    I also have an 11HT and love it.
    I'd actually increase your brightness setting a tad more. Mine is at 70 ( 80 with progressive scan).

I've learned to just love the picture and not worry about where on the scale any of the settings are. If it looks right... its right.

What I do think is odd, is that Sony distribute the projector with a
    default brightness setting that does it no justice. It's actually just plain wrong ! The Avia disc proves it.

Maybe things will change a bit when I get my Greyhawk soon, but no way do I believe the brightness setting should be 50 with any screen.

4. NB2121

NB2121
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    70 ???? !!! Wow !!
    What about your color temp? I use Low. Also, what about your Sharpness settings? AVIA showed that I have to set it around 20, but I thing that pic becomes very ... soft, so I use 38 knowing that it is not the optimal according to measurements like AVIA.

Regards

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,105
    I use the Low colour temp.

I think the correct sharpness setting is very low. About 5 or 6.
    Anything above that on the Avia disc shows too much edge enhancement (i.e. distortion)

I have noticed however, that with progressive scan, there is absolutely zero distortiion with the sharpness setting at 50.

That said, if (and only if) the source is good enough quality I
    do enjoy a bit of added edge enhancement. So with interlaced signals I up it to about 30.