110 volts and 240 volts Receiver under US$800

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by andrew_dp, Jul 6, 2002.

1. andrew_dp

andrew_dp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help. I would like to set up a home theatre system which I can use in the US for a couple of years and then take home with me to Australia. So far all of the receivers I have looked at physically only have the 110 volts stamped on the back. I have heard it is possible. Any ideas??

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Buy a step up transformer which will convert 110 volts to 240. I had one with my US DVD player and it only costs a few pounds and worked seamlessly.

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Andrew,

The Arcam AVR200 is designed to do this - with rear panel switches for both voltage and tuner settings. Quite a few people take advantage of this. US list price is $1200 but shopping around may help. To locate dealers in the USA go to www.aslgroup.com

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. andrew_dp

andrew_dp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John. That might do the trick.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I guess depends where you buy it: in Europe and some parts of Asia you will find a lot of units with AC voltage selectors while I assume in the US most will be fixed to 110V (and partially support NTSC only).

A transformer to go with a amp has to be much more powerfull than one used with a DVD player, thus being rather big 'n heavy and expensive - not to mention that it may cause a saftey hazard due to it's "open" design (may only be of relevance if you have small children though).

6. andrew_dp

andrew_dp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently using a largish transformer to run an Australian TV as a video player. I was concerned with long term damage and so we use it sparingly. A DVD player probably only uses 17 watts.

The problem with a complete system is you have to power the dvd, the receiver and possibly the sub I believe.

I hope to convince my wife that a Plasma is good value over a US TV as they are all built to take both voltages I think. Also, they state that they are all NTSC and PAL compatible.

If the choice is to spend a little extra and get the dual supply built in thats the way I'd go.

Thanks for your help.

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If that's the case then forget about a transformer. May buy your own power supply station instead ... :D