11/1/09 Saracens v Bristol Rugby

Tobers

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Today's "Sports Shooting in 10 Easy Steps" lesson - shoot tethered to my laptop so pics are available on the laptop within seconds of the shutter being released. Then pick the good stuff, caption and FTP up the line in more-or-less real time whilst the game is in progress. The idea was to make it quicker and easier than having to take a card out of the camera, upload whilst putting another card in, formatting it etc etc.

Things didn't start off too well this morning when I was testing the tethered shooting thing, with the camera USB'd to the laptop and using EOS utilities to suck the shots of the camera. I configured EOS utilities to put the pics in a particular directory, and then set Lightroom up to "Auto-Import" by telling it which directory to watch, and then to grab pics from that directory, import them with keywords etc into Lightroom ready for me to look at.

Straight away I found Lightroom totally screwed with no pictures in it at all. Major panic - I thought I'd lost all my config and previous pics (though they are all on my desktop PC). After a while I figured out that I'd opened a non-existent catalogue. When I opened the proper one all my pics came back. However, when I started the auto-import Lightroom kept popping up the import dialogue box. This shouldn't happen - it shouldn't need any user intervention at all.

This now took me 3 hours to sort out and I was going bonkers. I just couldn't stop the dialogue box popping up. Aaagghhhh! I tried changing loads of config settings but it wouldn't go away. Eventually, about 10 mins before heading off to the match, I tried one last thing which was to change the config in EOS Utilities to NOT launch an application automatically. This fixed it - I think EOS Utilities was triggering the Lightroom import dialogue every time a new set of pics came in from the camera. So there you go - if you have the same problem that's how to fix it.

A chilly day, ambient lighting getting lower during the match making manual exposure a bit tricky so I started on Av. Also, they turned up the floodlights during the second half when I had gone over to manual which increased the exposure by a stop or so. To make matters more interesting, Saracens were playing in black, against a fairly dark background, and Bristol were in white. Cue over-exposure of the whites. I ended up metering off a white advertising hoarding next to me and using manual which worked pretty well. I shot from the 22 line as everyone else was behind the tryline and I didn't want to get the same as the rest.

The tethered shooting was working fine. Pics popping up a few seconds after shooting them, and I could pick the good ones and flag them in Lightroom really quickly. Once the play went to the far end, or there was a lull, I'd look at the flagged shots, pick the best and caption them, then export them into another directory where Filezilla was waiting to FTP them up. With a good shot I could get it captioned & uploaded within a minute. Good stuff! Still some streamlining to go but a decent start. I've a way to go to beat Getty's slick operation, and got to say their snapper was really pretty good today.

So onto some pics....oh, and Bristol got nailed big time, losing 37-13.

#1 Alfie To-oala offloads. Check out his biceps!
453056956_UWRLF-M.jpg

#2 Glen Jackson. He's a bit good.
453058394_vorr6-M.jpg

#3 Noah Cato - also a bit good. Saracens have built an excellent team.
453060809_wuj9n-M.jpg

#4 A rare moment of Bristol posession
453061400_Qgv9M-M.jpg

#5 Shot of the day for me - Vunga Lilo jumps high.
453062437_P6oQp-M.jpg

#6 Story of the day - Bristol give away yet another penalty which Glen Jackson eats up for another 3 points.
453062890_opJne-M.jpg

#7 Winner - though you wouldn't know it. Eddie Jones of Saracens
453053286_nPdi8-M.jpg

#8 Loser - Richard Hill of Bristol
453065757_SqzVX-M.jpg

Oh yes, all shot with a 1Dmk3 and 300 2.8.

Tobers

Brilliant :thumbsup:

Great write up and an interesting read into the world of pro sports photography. Really makes you appreciate the technical know-how as well as photographic know-how you guys have. Good on yer Tobers.

With regards to looking at that guys biceps (picture #1) I'd rather not. Great picture but it makes me feel rather pathetic :(:D

Will we see any of these in the press Andy?

Thanks

Ryan

#1 and #5 are my favourites great stuff.

Good to hear you overcame the challenges - these sort of glitches could knock the confidence a bit and affect the shoot, but you still have great shots. :smashin:

Excellent pics. Love the ones of Lilo and To'oala the best I think. The one with the ref awarding a penalty is a great one as well, really well captured and cropped. I'm surprised you managed to get a pic of Eddie Jones with his mouth closed! With Newcastle getting a shock win this weekend, Richard Hill can't be too happy these days.

Thanks for the write up as well, very interesting.

Thanks v much!

Will we see any of these in the press Andy?

That is indeed the key question. I wait & see. No photos of the game in The Times this morning. I'll have to go to the news agents and have a shuftie at the others, though chances are thin knowing how many pics of the match are out there....

Thanks v much!

That is indeed the key question. I wait & see. No photos of the game in The Times this morning. I'll have to go to the news agents and have a shuftie at the others, though chances are thin knowing how many pics of the match are out there....

Shame.

Is there any other outlets for the pictures. Rugby mags, websites, the teams themselves, local newspapers, the team sponsors, fitness mags, etc?

Ryan

good stuff and nice write up as always Tobers!:thumbsup:

Nope - not paid to attend. No win no fee as it were. Not a problem for me at the moment as I build my experience.

Cheers for another great write up Andy:thumbsup:

Looks like it was quite difficult shooting out there today, but you have done well.:smashin:

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom