1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10x optical Zoom, Dell 8100 Firewire, DCRPC120

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by GeordieKeith, Mar 31, 2003.

1. GeordieKeith

GeordieKeith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In peoples opinion is this more than enough. I am looking for a MiniDV camcorder and the ones I have been looking at have 10, having not owned one before will 10x optical be sufficient.

Not bothered about digital and have been looking at the Sony DCRPC120, anybody with one comment on the quality etc of the picture.

Also looking on the site there have been problems with this machine and Firewire cards. Is there anyway of making sure this will work with a DELL 8100 laptop before I buy the camera (short of taking it into the shop).

In peoples opion in the PC120 worth the pennies or are there better alternatives for the same price.

Thanks.

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    10 times optical zoom is quite adequate for virtually all the shooting most people do, if you do require more for birdwatching or something similar then you can get supplementary lenses to fit on the front of your camera although be warned that at anything more than about 4 times zoom you will need a very very solid tripod.

I don't know the Sony camera you mention but if it is not digital why are you worrying about compatability with firewire cards they are only used for digital transfer. If you want to capture composite video to your laptop you need a video capture card, this could be external and connect to your laptop via a USB port.

The only real way of guarenteeing any combination of equipment will work is to connect it all up and see, a very small difference in a configuration setting in your computer could be the difference between succes and failure. its always worth testing it first unless you have a very understanding supplier.