10m USB cable req.

T

Taz

Anyone know of a cheap supplier for a 10m USB cable?

Or if anyone has one laying around they want to sell???

Thanks

Taz.:cool:

rhinoman

Yeah, you need a repeater over 5m I think.

S

squishysdomain

USB has a fixed limit of 5metres due to the round trip delay between the host and the slave. The way to get around this (as already suggested) is to use a HUB, which retimes the signals for you. Gets a little more expensive though.

J

JRHAY72

www.keene-electronics.co.uk

They sell a "Powered 5m USB Extension Cable" for £19.99 (Product Code: USBXT5).

Add a normal 5m USB cable to this (which they also sell for £8.99) and you're away.

Delivery is £2 for the lot.

Have used these guys before and they are very good.

Hope this helps!

MAW

Banned
You guys are all technically right, but quite a few USB devices of my aquaintance are fussy about the lenght of their cable, and do not get recognised at 5m, so if you have trouble of that nature with a long cable, consider yourself warned, there's no cure I've found. WinTV USB being the worst case in point. Hub or no hub, powered lead, whatever, it just doesn't work if it's more than 2m.

T

Taz

Originally posted by MAW
WinTV USB being the worst case in point. Hub or no hub, powered lead, whatever, it just doesn't work if it's more than 2m.
Is that the Hauppage FTA box?

Taz.:cool:

MAW

Banned
Negative, analogue. I think in this case it may be a bandwidth problem, my hub is on the end of a 5m cable, so I can move the laptop around. If I put it on a shorter one I get less USB error messages. There's an extigy, printer and network on my hub, and if I plug in the webcam it all goes pear shaped... I have to use the 2nd usb port for that, or the wintv box. I might try a PC card USB adapter and ditch the hub.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: New TVs, Samsung Q800T Soundbar review, IFA latest, Movie and AV News, B+W Brad Pitt
Top Bottom