1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10m speaker cable run - advice needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rags, Jan 10, 2004.

1. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Hi,

My rear channels need approximately 10m runs of speaker cable from the amp. The room the HC is in has wooden floor - I am currently using QED micro tacked to the the skirting board in a bid to be discrete.

The amp is quite powerful (400 rms to each channel) and the speakers are 4 ohms.

Given the cable length and that the QED micro is very thin am I losing some of the sound ? Could moving to a thicker cable improve things ? TBH I am very happy with the overall sound of my HC and rear effects seem to come through pretty well but I have no basis of comparison.

Specs of the QED micro are below and although I did do Physics at A level, it was a long time ago and I dont have the foggiest as to what some of this means :blush:

Conductor Section (mm2) - Single Wire 2 x 1.25
    Conductor Material - 99.999% OFC
    Conductor Dielectric - Polyethylene
    Loop Resistence (Ohm/m) - 0.0289
    Parallel Capacitance (pF/m) - 25.00
    Loop Inductance (µH/m) - 0.63
    Dissapation Factor (@10Khz) - 0.002
    Overall Size (mm) - 2.4 x 5.0

Thanks
    Rags

2. eyerish

eyerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rags. Over a ten metre run I personally wouldn`t use anything below 2.5mm in size. The cable should also be well shielded and keep it at least 200mm from any mains cables. If you do have to cross over a mains cable, do it at a 90 degree angle. This is good to keep in mind if you wish to bury cable in voids such as ceiling etc. At home I used Chord company carnival for the rears as it is only about £3.50 a metre and the r4esults are satisfying enough for a cable at this price. What sort of connections do you use on amp/speaker binding posts.??

3. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Banana plugs all round. Mains cables are kept well away.

I have used Chord Carnival - the problem is that it is pretty thick and impossible to hide on a wooden floor.

If 10m is the limit for QED micro then am I ok or should I be changing ? Measured the lengths again and they are 9.8m and 8.7m.

4. eyerish

eyerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In your position, if possible I would use other cable (thicker or not) to hook up temporarily and use a dvd (test dvd such as DVE) to see if you really are missing out on information to the rear channels. At the end of the day, if it ain`t broke, don`t fix an all that..... At least be sure you are fixing something first. If it is then a case that you want a new cable and it`s too bulky to hide, you`ll need to find a way to coceal it, but cross that bridge only if need be. I concealed mine in the coving and behind skirting boards. Will the benefit be worth that to you??