Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

10m speaker cable run - advice needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rags, Jan 10, 2004.

1. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Hi,

My rear channels need approximately 10m runs of speaker cable from the amp. The room the HC is in has wooden floor - I am currently using QED micro tacked to the the skirting board in a bid to be discrete.

The amp is quite powerful (400 rms to each channel) and the speakers are 4 ohms.

Given the cable length and that the QED micro is very thin am I losing some of the sound ? Could moving to a thicker cable improve things ? TBH I am very happy with the overall sound of my HC and rear effects seem to come through pretty well but I have no basis of comparison.

Specs of the QED micro are below and although I did do Physics at A level, it was a long time ago and I dont have the foggiest as to what some of this means :blush:

Conductor Section (mm2) - Single Wire 2 x 1.25
    Conductor Material - 99.999% OFC
    Conductor Dielectric - Polyethylene
    Loop Resistence (Ohm/m) - 0.0289
    Parallel Capacitance (pF/m) - 25.00
    Loop Inductance (µH/m) - 0.63
    Dissapation Factor (@10Khz) - 0.002
    Overall Size (mm) - 2.4 x 5.0

Thanks
    Rags

2. eyerish

eyerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rags. Over a ten metre run I personally wouldn`t use anything below 2.5mm in size. The cable should also be well shielded and keep it at least 200mm from any mains cables. If you do have to cross over a mains cable, do it at a 90 degree angle. This is good to keep in mind if you wish to bury cable in voids such as ceiling etc. At home I used Chord company carnival for the rears as it is only about £3.50 a metre and the r4esults are satisfying enough for a cable at this price. What sort of connections do you use on amp/speaker binding posts.??

3. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Banana plugs all round. Mains cables are kept well away.

I have used Chord Carnival - the problem is that it is pretty thick and impossible to hide on a wooden floor.

If 10m is the limit for QED micro then am I ok or should I be changing ? Measured the lengths again and they are 9.8m and 8.7m.

4. eyerish

eyerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In your position, if possible I would use other cable (thicker or not) to hook up temporarily and use a dvd (test dvd such as DVE) to see if you really are missing out on information to the rear channels. At the end of the day, if it ain`t broke, don`t fix an all that..... At least be sure you are fixing something first. If it is then a case that you want a new cable and it`s too bulky to hide, you`ll need to find a way to coceal it, but cross that bridge only if need be. I concealed mine in the coving and behind skirting boards. Will the benefit be worth that to you??