10m HDMI run or Cat6

simonb3665

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 10m hdmi cable connecting my projector. Currently I plug it in when needed but in the next few weeks will be hiding the cable under the carpet and up through an internal wall (breeze block dabs). The cable is a blue rigger and is quite chunky but I think i'll just have enough depth to loose it between the carpet rods and the underlay.
I have a few worries about whether I will get problems with a set up like this. I don't really want to have to pull the carpet up to replace it. Is this recommended or would converting to cat 6 be a better long term solution?
Also the picture on my projector appears to have some compression type effects when on a black background. If an object is moving through space it will have a blocky lighter coloured halo effect following it. Its not terrible but noticeable and wasn't happening in the previous room which had a 4m hdmi cable. It may well be a fault with the projector (or my memory!) but just want to rule out that this compression type effect could be caused by the cable. Thanks for reading.

The cable wont introduce any compression.

Id run the 10M cable and a couple of Cat6 cables then you have a back up plan should the cable proof to be a problem now or in the future

Projected Image - as Seb says it's very unlikely what you describe is a cable issue.

Installed cable - HDMI cables can and do fail so a backup plan is a must have (2x CAT6).

Fibre HDMI - if you are planning ahead and want everything UHD BD has to offer then Fibre HDMI is the only current option once you go above 6m.

Joe

thanks guys, great idea i'll pop some cat 6 down as well.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom