• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

10m HDMI leads......

bigbobsgtr

Standard Member
Ok, i know we`ve had loads of questions and the same answers for 1-5m leads where the general opinion is that there is no difference but what about longer ones??

I need a 10m HDMI lead but what do you look for apart from price? If a £5 2m lead does the same job as a £60 lead then how do you know when a £120 10m lead isn`t just the same as a £15 lead just with a price to make you think it`s better?

Anybody tried different ones and found results to justify the prices?

Thanks

Bob

Flimber

Distinguished Member
There is a test online somewhere (oscilloscope test, not ears and eyes) which showed that cheaper cables really fell over in long runs.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello bigbobsgtr

The HDMI pipeline was never designed for long cable runs - once you go past 5m you are relying on the Build quality/tolerances of the Transmitter device in your Source, the Cable you install and the Receiver Device in your Display.

The folk who designed the HDMI Standard talk about the systems 'Margin of Headroom' when you start working out how various bits of kit will interact.

Where you have a Source or Display that are on the edge of being 'In Spec' you rely more heavily on the quality of the HDMI cable you employ as you increase the cable length over 5m.

The ability to receive and decode your signal at the Display will also be affected by the signal format your sending over the cable - some cables may work fine with 720p or 1080i at 10m but fall over with 1080p.

You'll get advise from some folk who have found the lowest cost/non branded cables have worked fine for them at 10m - you'll also get advice from lots of other folk (and the Pro's) that where you want to Guarantee everything works at all resolutions go with a Brand you know has been tested (High Speed, Cat2, v1.3) at 10m to carry 1080p and above; see http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/bettercables_hdmi.htm

Joe

Member 213491

There is a test online somewhere (oscilloscope test, not ears and eyes) which showed that cheaper cables really fell over in long runs.

Again its not the cost one needs to see, its the spec. We have a cable that retails for £250 1m and we sell it to installers for £20.00 so now what is cheap and what is expensive?

Also youre talking about a HDMI Eye Diagram

Look at
http://www.hdmi.org/installers/eyediagram.aspx

Jonstone

I have bought two 10m hdmi cables and one 10m hdmi-dvi cable from here and all have worked perfectly upto and including 1080p so obviously a cheaper cable can be ok at longer lengths

Heavysalad

I have bought two 10m hdmi cables and one 10m hdmi-dvi cable from here and all have worked perfectly upto and including 1080p so obviously a cheaper cable can be ok at longer lengths

Obviously ... until it just stops working.

... or stops and starts working sporadicaly whilst throwing the odd 5v burst down the line at the HDMI port in your new HDTV.

Member 213491

Obviously ... until it just stops working.

... or stops and starts working sporadicaly whilst throwing the odd 5v burst down the line at the HDMI port in your new HDTV.

100% then when the cable stops working i believe the buyer expects full money back... also then will leave -neg feedback and then will call local trading standard and will complain about the quality of the cable. Will also put a complain through HDMI LLC for the seller for selling sub standard cables. Wait the cables were put into the walls so now what happens?

:suicide:

the story continues..............................

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom