10m HDMI for 3D and 1080p

ChrisByatt

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for an HDMI cable that can handle 3d and 1080p over about 10m. I know they're basically all the same for ~1m cables, but I'm guessing I need something a bit better for this...

Perhaps something like this? Or overkill..? AKORD® NEW v2.0 HDMI CABLE 24k Gold-Plated 1080p 2160p: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

TV is a Panasonic p50-gt60 and the cable is to go from my PC to my Amp (sony str-dn840).

Thanks!

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'm sure it could technically be possible to claim a few more nonsensical 'specifications' for just one cable :)

HDMI 'version' is completely irrelevant.

There are only two HDMI cable types 'High Speed' and 'Standard' - with High Speed being recommended for 3D, 1080p and the New 2160p format, though very early days with 2160p so much still to learn on that front.

HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: Finding the Right Cable

High Speed cables top out at 8m unless you go 'active' (the cable has a repeater chip built in) - though active cables may not play ball with all Source and Sink (Display, AVR, Switch etc) so at 10m you have a choice of a Standard cable or a High Speed active cable.

HDMI cables can and do fail so ensure you make provision for replacing a failed cable - they usually fail where the connector meets the cable and are nigh on impossible to repair.

10m cables are generally quite thick/stiff so you may need to consider adding a short 'port saver' Male to Female extension at the PC to relieve the stress on the Graphics card.

Have you tested the PC into the Amp on a short cable run and how are you 'splitting' the signal to the AVR and I presume a PC monitor?

Joe

I can probably reach with an 8m cable so that should be fine. I'm not replacing a failed cable - before I had a desk I was using the TV as a monitor so my PC was right by it. Now I've got a desk and monitor and want to run a cable to the TV for films/video.

I know the PC works in the Amp, like I said it's how I used to have it 24/7 :). The monitor is plugged into DVI and the amp will be into the HDMI.

Failed cables was more a reference to folk sometimes plastering and then decorating over a new cable only to find it fails at a future date and is impossible to repair/replace without major cost/disturbance.

Good that the PC works with the AVR - many won't as the AVR doesn't pass EDID to the PC and can cause problems when trying to switch to the PC.

If you can stick to 8m then you can look for a High Speed cable from a decent supplier.

Joe

Ah, this won't be going through a wall - it's just a long way that's all! Thanks, that was I was hoping to hear!

Yeah the DN840 has been really good actually, great little receiver with bi-amp and bi-wire capabilities! Really lovely.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom