10M HDMI Cable HELP !!!!!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Apollo11, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Can anyone tell me where I can get either a 10M HDMI - DVI cable, or HDMI - HDMI with adapter to Dvi. I have tried several on line companies and they are either out of stock or silly prices. Surely there must be loads of people needing long cables such as this for video projectors etc???
    :mad:

Thanks.

2. Matt Rage

Matt Rage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm in the same situation I reckon I need about an 8m one - seen them for about £130 - which is about the same I'm paying for my Samsung 950!!

Be interesting to see what people can suggest.. they have them pretty cheap on ebay, but god knows what they're made off on there...

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,126
    Hello both

AVnut70 - if your trying to keep the costs down I'd avoid using an adapter; they can easily cost £25+.

Keep in mind different Digital cables can and do have an affect on what you see on screen - especially where you have a DVI connection involved and are going over 5m.

Ensure you get any long cables on Sale or Return - there's no guarantee anything over 5m will work where DVI is involved.

Best regards

Joe

4. homethx

homethx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I bought a 8m supra dvi cable for PC to sony hs20 works a treat, very pleased with it.

5. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Joe, cheers for the info, I must admit I have heard several people say that DVI can be problematic over 5 Metres. I could use a component analogue cable but am trying to get the best out of the projector by using upscaled 720P.

6. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Try Lindy - I've just got a 15M HDMI cable for about £80.

I've used their monitor cables in the past and always been impressed with the quality, the HDMI cable is no exception. Huge width of cable with moulded plugs either end. I'm using it to feed a Pioneer 668 DVD player to a SIM2 projector and the PQ is :smashin: :smashin:

Ta
    Kevin

7. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Kevin, thanks for the tip, have just ordered one from Lindy. Will have to see if it works now!!

Richard.

8. dancingmatt

dancingmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ok, have fear I'm asking a silly question here...

Is a DVI - HDMI cable going to be a DVI cable with an HDMI plug built on one end, or an HDMI cable with one DVI plug?

I mean, people say long DVI cables can have drop-outs but I haven't read that about HDMI cables. So surely the actual conductors along the cable are different?

I need DVI from my PC to my new Sanyo Z3 projector's HDMI, cheaper to buy one lead without an adaptor, but what am I buying?!

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,126
    dancingmatt

Not all cables are create equal!

I can only talk about the ones I have first hand experience of.

BetterCables use the same cable/conductors no matter if the termination is DVI or HDMI or one of each and no mater if its a 1m DVI cable or a 31m HDMI cable.

See http://www.bettercables.com

Adapters tend not to cause too many problems - though where possible I'd avoid them as especially with HDMI the less chance you have for a 'disconnect' the better.

HDMI is poorly designed in that its a 'push fit' and can come undone unlike DVI which you screw up tight using knurled thumb screws.

The Driver circuit behind a DVI Output socket is designed to 'Drive' your signal over a relatively short distance (5m) though if your lucky and use decent cables you can go further without the requirement for a DVI signal amp.

The Driver circuit behind an HDMI socket is designed to 'Drive' your video signal up to 20m - though again cable selection plus external devices (lighting dimmers and the like) can cause problems and HDMI signal amps do sometimes have to be introduced.

Best regards

Joe

10. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Kevin,

the HDMI - DVI cable arrived yesterday and is now running my projector. Very impressed with Lindy and will use again.

Cheers.
    Richard.

11. thedoc

thedoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At risk of hijacking the thread :

Joe,

Am I right in understanding what you are saying is that a standard HDMI source should be able to cope with a cable length of up to 20m then?

Is there a device which takes a HDMI signal and splits it into two outputs that would cope with 20m cable length? (one output to a plasma and other to projector)

I'm starting to look at upgrade paths to HiDef "proof" my setup.

FYI:

Sadly my cinema was completed 12 months before HDMI appeared, and I have an approx. 15m - 20m cable run between my source and projector.

One upgrade path I came up with was a singe 15-20m HDMI from the equipment rack to the projector, and then simply switch the appropriate source onto that long cable. The other (more expensive) path would be to run SIM's fibre optic cables instead and upgrade to a SIM2 300e link, keeping my HDMI cable lengths to 1-2 metres as the projector processor would be based at the rack.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,126
    thedoc

No problems with what you want to achieve.

You could either run one long HDMI cable and then add a 1:2 HDMI splitter at the far end of the cable and then have the required lengths of HDMI cable to your two displays or add the 1:2 HDMI splitter nearer the source and then run two long cables to the Displays.

Everything you require is available now and you can even have a signal switcher/combined splitter if you envisage having more than one source.

Best regards

Joe

13. thedoc

thedoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanks Joe...

So with a decent cable I can achieve 20 metres no problem then?

When I get my finger out, then I'll get onto your site then.

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,126
    thedoc

Your always at the mercy of the hardware manufacturer sticking to the agreed specs (plus you have to factor in manufacturing tolerances) but 20m is achievable without signal amplifiers.

Best regards

Joe