10m HDMI 2.1 run Ruipro 8k

[email protected]

Hi all, I am decorating and need a 10m run of HDMI. I have a HDMI 2.1 8k receiver and thought I would 'future-proof' it with a 2.1 cable.

I have a Ruipro 8k delivered today, but as you all know they are expensive. My question is am I waiting money here or is there another product I would be going for.

It will be place behind walls and skirting so ideally need a one time purchase option.

Best
Darren

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'It will be place behind walls and skirting so ideally need a one time purchase option' - not a great plan. Long HDMI cables have a habit of failing, being damaged or becoming obsolete so ensure whatever cable you go with can be easily replaced and or you have a Plan B.

And keep in mind the Fibre cables are directional - the hoods are marked Source and Display.

Joe

PS Plan B is usually solid core, non-CCA/CCS CAT6 with the option to add suitable HDBT extenders at a later date.

[email protected]

'It will be place behind walls and skirting so ideally need a one time purchase option' - not a great plan. Long HDMI cables have a habit of failing, being damaged or becoming obsolete so ensure whatever cable you go with can be easily replaced and or you have a Plan B.

And keep in mind the Fibre cables are directional - the hoods are marked Source and Display.

Joe

PS Plan B is usually solid core, non-CCA/CCS CAT6 with the option to add suitable HDBT extenders at a later date.
Cheers Jo, directional is not a problem.

Is there any HDBT extenders that support 40-48gbps that you would recommend? I would rather go down the CAT6 router but couldnt find anything supported to stick at the ends.

I have already run 6 cat6 cables behind (some redundancy) that could be used.

Last edited:

Otto Pylot

I might add that if you do place the cable in-wall, the use of a conduit is HIGHLY recommended because conduit is the ONLY way to future proof your cabling, period.

[email protected]

I might add that if you do place the cable in-wall, the use of a conduit is HIGHLY recommended because conduit is the ONLY way to future proof your cabling, period.

That cable will be inside conduit. The skirtings are off and wall already cut out for it. Just need to decide on a cable. As I said about, 40gbps min is needed as a PS5 and hdmi 2.1 AVR is at the other end and looking to maybe switch a AG9 77 to a G1 77 with HDMI 2.1. I would rather go CAT6, easier to change the ends. But couldnt find any.

Last edited:

Otto Pylot

Excellent. Solid copper core, UTP, CAT-6, non-CCA/CCS and not pre-terminated CAT-6 ethernet patch cable is recommended as @Joe Fernand mentioned. FWIW, I used solid core cable from SewellDirect but there are other quality cable mfrs as well. I use solid core to extend an ethernet connection using punch down keystone jacks to hard wire my home theater systems. Terminating with HDBT is a good option so if that's the route you want to pursue, follow Joe's advice. Hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro 8k, Gen-3/C) can certainly handle 40Gbps. I don't think there are any devices/panels yet that actually push and/or need the full 48Gbps.

[email protected]

Excellent. Solid copper core, UTP, CAT-6, non-CCA/CCS and not pre-terminated CAT-6 ethernet patch cable is recommended as @Joe Fernand mentioned. FWIW, I used solid core cable from SewellDirect but there are other quality cable mfrs as well. I use solid core to extend an ethernet connection using punch down keystone jacks to hard wire my home theater systems. Terminating with HDBT is a good option so if that's the route you want to pursue, follow Joe's advice. Hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro 8k, Gen-3/C) can certainly handle 40Gbps. I don't think there are any devices/panels yet that actually push and/or need the full 48Gbps.

Nice. I have the Ruipro 8k, Gen-3/C in a box, but wanted to check if there were other options or is this really the only option at the moment.

Otto Pylot

I would lay the cable out on the floor and thoroughly test it prior to installation to make sure it meets your needs and expectations. You can always run the solid core in the conduit as well (which is actually a recommendation of ours) and give yourself a generous service loop at each end for ease of termination. That way, the cable is in place in case you want to use it in the future for HDBT or ethernet. If you do use the Ruipro cable, be VERY careful during the cable pull because you don't want to pull it by the connector ends and be mindful of sharp bends (bend radius) going around corners or what ever. Finally, the most reliable connection, especially for active cables, is a single cable run, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between.

[email protected]

I would lay the cable out on the floor and thoroughly test it prior to installation to make sure it meets your needs and expectations. You can always run the solid core in the conduit as well (which is actually a recommendation of ours) and give yourself a generous service loop at each end for ease of termination. That way, the cable is in place in case you want to use it in the future for HDBT or ethernet. If you do use the Ruipro cable, be VERY careful during the cable pull because you don't want to pull it by the connector ends and be mindful of sharp bends (bend radius) going around corners or what ever. Finally, the most reliable connection, especially for active cables, is a single cable run, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between.
Already tested the ruipro, all good there.

no sharp bends etc, walls are already cut out, just need pulling but it’s only 7-8 metre so no pressure on any cables with multiple access points for easy pulling. All cables going direct into devices, no plates, adapters etc.

Additional cat6 in for future.

Otto Pylot

Excellent. I would attach the pull string to the body of the fiber cable, not the connector, but secure the connector end so it doesn't bend back on itself during the pull and around bends. You also might want to consider laying in another pull string in case you have need to pull more cable in the future. A 1.5"-2.0" conduit is a good size for multiple cables.

[email protected]

Excellent. I would attach the pull string to the body of the fiber cable, not the connector, but secure the connector end so it doesn't bend back on itself during the pull and around bends. You also might want to consider laying in another pull string in case you have need to pull more cable in the future. A 1.5"-2.0" conduit is a good size for multiple cables.
Yep got all that covered. I have separated conduits run for speaker cables etc too. All in place.

Otto Pylot

You are better prepared than most posters. Well thought out fer sure.

[email protected]

You are better prepared than most posters. Well thought out fer sure.
I have built a false wall in our kitchen/family area so I could sink some wall speakers the a brains of a AG9 77 so the back of the TV is flush the wall. Just all takes time haha. Still a lot to do, missus want it panelled sections, need to spray speakers etc. Far from being finished but getting there slowly.

The AVR is under the stairs to my right.

Otto Pylot

Looks nice. Are you concerned about noise vibrations or audio fidelity if your front soundstage (FR/FL speakers) are enclosed in the wall?

[email protected]

Looks nice. Are you concerned about noise vibrations or audio fidelity if your front soundstage (FR/FL speakers) are enclosed in the wall?
No vibrations and sounds awesome. Created back boxes for them too.

Otto Pylot

I like a well thought out design plan and execution 😉. Where's the sub?

[email protected]

I like a well thought out design plan and execution 😉. Where's the sub?
Bottom right. I will post a pic with it’s all done. 4 ceiling speakers too.

[email protected]

I straight up ask Ruipro if they will do any discounts and gave me £36 off a 8k 10m bringing it from £179.99 to £144.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom