Question 10m HDMI 2.1 Cables?

djgibbon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all

As per title really - having a new house wired up in the next few weeks and need a 10m HDMI run. Looking to future proof as much as possible but can't find any legitimate looking cables which support 2.1. Is it just too early for them to be on the market or am I looking in the wrong places?

Cheers

Phil

If you want future proof, then forget about the cables and install some 22mm conduit, so that you can replace the cables whenever you want.

At 10m your best bet is to install some fibre optic hybrid HDMI’s such as RuiPro’s. (Other hybrid fibre optic cables are available)

Cheers mushi. Yes, I'm getting conduit put in but not having done it before I was wary of how easy it would be to actually pull cables through!

Fibre optic is what I was leaning towards but I was surprised nothing was ultra high speed certified.

HDMI cables are not version compliant - there is a separate system of 'Category Speed' Certification which applies to cables.

At present the High Speed and new Ultra High Speed Certification process only applies to passive cables - so there is no way to 'Certify' an Active Copper, Fibre or Hybrid Fibre HDMI cable.

Joe

Ah, now that _does_ make sense - I was lazy with my phrasing saying 2.1 and meant Ultra High Speed, but didn't realise it only applied to passive cables. Thanks!

Is there any feeling whether fibre optic cables have more bandwidth headroom for 2.1, or would that be meaningless conjecture?

You have to focus on the Features you require support for and identify if the cables you are considering will support them - eARC being the big unknown at present as for now it is mostly something you can only test in a lab and not real world systems.

Moving forward there is a new generation of '8K' capable cables to consider.

RuiPro4K (which we supply) - are well established as a good solution with current generation of kit and have been (bench) tested to support eARC.

RuiPro8K Hybrid Fibre - are available, to order, the one problem being it is very difficult to 'prove' how they are going to work in the real world at present.

Ideally you ensure any cable you install now can be easily replaced at a later date.

Joe

Thanks Joe, straight up and honest answer. To be honest it's eARC and dynamic HDR which are the main concerns for me - I don't see me having a need for 8k any time soon. Decent size conduit and a fish wire seem like the best future proofing I can manage!

Cheers

Phil

RuiPro4K (which we supply) - are well established as a good solution with current generation of kit and have been (bench) tested to support eARC.

Hi Joe, do you have a link to your product that ships to Canada? The only place I found your cable is on Amazon US and I don't normally order from there.

Also got a discount code? :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom