10GB networking issues

Not quite sure what you mean by the keystone reference, or could be a termination issue.

If you have a bad connection you can get port flapping when the connection speed changes between the different levels. The MikroTik ones will tell you if there is this the issue

On the patch panel, you don't terminate the individual wires into the punch down connector, you terminate into a standard RJ-45 connector and plug that into the back of the panel.

Haven't seen any errors relating to port flapping :)

Ah ok, sorry more daft questions was it solid or stranded then and did the rj45 plugs match the cable type?

Yes and solid. Like I said it works directly connect to the switch. Patch panel, cable and connectors are all CAT6.

Could be poor connection via the keystones - crimping plugs is often more difficult than punch-down blocks. More than one company I’ve dealt with would only allow termination via lunch-downs for that reason. The only way to be certain would be to test with a 10Gb-capable certification tester, but these are pretty pricey!!

Not sure I quite agree that crimping is more difficult than punch-down, I've certainly never had a problem with either over 15 years in IT :)

Anyhow, the new keystones are punch-down type rather than the passthrough type on the existing patch panel.

1611240270226.png

I never understood passthrough patch panels. Terminating structured cables in RJ45 plugs is self defeating as they cannot be certified, as the standard requires that they are terminated into IDC type connectors. They also add another mechanical connection into the chain. Am I missing something? BTW this isnt a flippant comment its a genuine question.

I never understood passthrough patch panels. Terminating structured cables in RJ45 plugs is self defeating as they cannot be certified, as the standard requires that they are terminated into IDC type connectors. They also add another mechanical connection into the chain. Am I missing something?

For home it's ideal, changing cables around etc. is a doddle.

Tbh when I ordered it, I thought it was going to be a different style. It's actually no easier than the new style I've ordered.

Not sure I quite agree that crimping is more difficult than punch-down, I've certainly never had a problem with either over 15 years in IT :)

Anyhow, the new keystones are punch-down type rather than the passthrough type on the existing patch panel.

View attachment 1445619
How did you find the tool-less Keystones? Thinking of using them for a project, but dubious.

Haven't installed them yet :) I'll likely still use my punch down tool on them.

Likewise, not sure they will ever improve on a punch down, used a few keystone jacks that punch down on top, they were too snug in the panel, think the tool less may be that little bit smaller

New patch panel installed and most of my connections swapped over. I didn’t order enough keystones so more coming tomorrow.

1611571548393.png

Last edited:
I should also add, I like the tool less keystones. They are fairly easy to fit. Although tool less is a bit of a stretch. I found it far better to use a pair of grips to clamp the cover down onto the wires and terminals.

I shuffled the connections around so the PoE devices are on the PoE end of the switch and vice versa. I am also still seeing 10GbE speed from my PC to the NAS in the garage connecting through the Aggregation switch.

I agree, I fitted about 20 this weekend on an install. I ended up having to use my Krone Tool to to push cables into some of them

I agree, I fitted about 20 this weekend on an install. I ended up having to use my Krone Tool to to push cables into some of them

I found my Krone tool made the job harder as there is little space in these connectors (yours might be different). Once I had all of the wires in the plastic backplate and pushed into the keystone it just needed a little grip squeeze to get them to seat.

Tight is an understatement. It want the initial fitting, it was when I was testing each cable I found that I had pairs that weren't connected and I had to go back and re-punch those cables with my Krone Tool

Love the LED's in your rack...! Do they animate at all...? If would be so cool if they dissolved between colours over time or ran a light chase like some 80's disco rope light.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom