-10dB on my HK Amplifier vs 11 '0 Clock on CA Amp' (see sig)

scorpion88

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondered if there was much difference between the volume output between the 2 Amps as described in title.

I have just 'pumped up' my HK 980 to -10dB with the Tannoy Speakers and then compared the system with my CA 640v2 with the Mezzo 2's at '11 O, Clock and there seemed to be more distortion particularly with the HK amp and Tannoys than the CA/Mezzo Combo. The Amps allegedly output 80w and 75w respectively so not much difference there.

I guess the question is -10 dB on the HK equivalent to 11 with the CA. The biggest difference seems to be in the Bass Response which appears to be inferior with the HK/Tannoy System.

Maybe it is possible I am just pushing the Tannoy's too far.

The relevant sources are as in my signature.

FWIW both systems go quite loud at the levels as described above.

Cheers

Scorpion:cool:

Hi,

Just wondered if there was much difference between the volume output between the 2 Amps as described in title.

I have just 'pumped up' my HK 980 to -10dB with the Tannoy Speakers and then compared the system with my CA 640v2 with the Mezzo 2's at '11 O, Clock and there seemed to be more distortion particularly with the HK amp and Tannoys than the CA/Mezzo Combo. The Amps allegedly output 80w and 75w respectively so not much difference there.

I guess the question is -10 dB on the HK equivalent to 11 with the CA. The biggest difference seems to be in the Bass Response which appears to be inferior with the HK/Tannoy System.

Maybe it is possible I am just pushing the Tannoy's too far.

The relevant sources are as in my signature.

FWIW both systems go quite loud at the levels as described above.

Cheers

Scorpion:cool:

Not sure what you are out to prove or test but try swapping the amps over to see what happen, assuming both sets of speakers are still working ok.

Thanks for that. I believe both amps are equal in volume and output. I also believe that the speakers are equal in quality albeit the tannoys are about 10 years old and have a slightly smaller bass driver (i.e. MS speakers 7" versus Tannoys about 6").

Apart from that, yes I have swapped things around and also also both sets of speakers seem to be in perfect condition.

The only other factor that I think could influence matters is the listening environment - i.e. the HK/Tannoy system is in a very large 'bedroom area' which is larger than my lounge with a wooden laminate type floor.

Cheers

Scorpion

Thanks for that. I believe both amps are equal in volume and output. I also believe that the speakers are equal in quality albeit the tannoys are about 10 years old and have a slightly smaller bass driver (i.e. MS speakers 7" versus Tannoys about 6").

Apart from that, yes I have swapped things around and also also both sets of speakers seem to be in perfect condition.

The only other factor that I think could influence matters is the listening environment - i.e. the HK/Tannoy system is in a very large 'bedroom area' which is larger than my lounge with a wooden laminate type floor.

Cheers

Scorpion

Still not clear about what you are trying to prove or test.

I would suggest you only make one change at a time so any differences are more likely to be down to the one change you have made.

The purpose of trying different combinations it to isolate the problem. Is it the amp? Is it the speakers? Is it the room or room acoustics?

You can't know until you try every combination.

If you swap speakers, and the problem stays on the same amp, then the amp is suspect.

If the problem follows the speakers, then likely the speakers are likely the problem.

If you try both systems in both room, and both sound good in one room and bad in the other, then logically the problem is the room.

So when you are trying various things, you are looking for a point of consistency. What component is always present when the problem presents itself?

Also, unless I missed it, you didn't specifically mention the Tannoy speakers model number.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom