1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10Base2 Ethernet cable as TV aerial?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Bursar, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I've just discovered a fair bit of this cable at work, and the boss says I can have it.

It has a multi-strand core in the centre, some plastic insulation (looks like a glue stick for a hot glue gun), then the outer multi-strand shielding, and finally the plastic sleeve on the outside of the cable.

The plan is to use it to run an extra TV point down from the aerial in the loft to a spare bedroom on the first floor. I'll buy one of those simple 1 to 2 splitter things in the loft to split the signal up.

Does this cable sound OK to use for this purpose?

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Not advisable.

Ethernet coax is nominal 50 ohms impedance.
    TV aerials are 75 ohm nominal .
    ALso it probably has much higher attenuation per unit length than decent quality TV antenna feeder ; the good stuff is usually air-spaced , having a honeycomb structure in the central insulation.

You could try it using a loose trial run first. If you have loads of signal, it may be adequate ; if you do this, check it on the weakest channels (usually Channel 4 or 5 for analogue TV).

It certainly cannot do any actual damage though.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.