1080P - Which one do I get?

timble

Standard Member
I got a budget of £2K and I want a 1080p. I'm not fussed whether its 42, 46 or 50". What's the best?

Many thanks.

Medusa

Banned
I got a budget of £2K and I want a 1080p. I'm not fussed whether its 42, 46 or 50". What's the best?

Many thanks.

Seven years ago i had the same budget i bought a 41"Sony rear pro-jec i did not read any reviews or have any advice.It's still working!Luckyme:D

There is no such thing as the "BEST" if you know what i mean.:rolleyes:
Or have i misunderstood ?:suicide:

You can read the reviews on this Forum. Once you have decided what make/spec/size YOU WANT?

No one is going to tell you thats the best!
You buy it and it goes faulty. You Sir will say:censored: for giving me that Advice :devil:

GoodLuck! ( I would go for 50":devil: )

DragonDan69

Hi Timble,

I think for 2K you could get a Sony 40X LCD, or a sony 55inch rear projector TV! I have a 40x, and have seen a 55inch in Harrods, andwas very impressed with the High Definition movie, Open Season.

Both are good for movies, games, even as a PC monitor, and also Sky HD, and sports.

The 40x has a brighter screen, and the 55 inch has deeper colours, and more colour range.

But this is from a person who likes sony's, and knows they are very good TVs.

The X is Sonys' top range, and the 55 inch has the latest technologies from Sony(3 HDMI inputs[version 1.3], Bravia Engine Pro, etc.).

Grab a copy of What Hifi magazine, and go to the back of the magazine, and look at all the LCDs, and you will see the prices, specs, etc. Then do some price checking at various websites, and see that the prices are better online.

But buying online and in person are 2 very different experiences, and you should check availability of the TV and also, the reliability of the company you want to buy from.

Lastly, know what your TV can do, and what it can't! I.e. it has deeper colours, but it excellent in a dark(ish) room, or LCD is brighter but it can watched in a well lit room or in the dark. Basically, no TV is perfect(mine is!:rotfl: ) But all TVs have its good points. My original thought was 40x is 2k, 40w is £500 cheaper, and the Sharp/Samsung/LG are just as good as the 40w, mmm, then its better to go for either the Sharp/samsung/LG, because its around £1000-£1200. But if I'd like the best of the lot in LCD, the 40X has got to be it. Thats how I see it before, and thats how I still see it now.

The 40x can be purchased for around £1899 at Robert Whyte with 5 years warranty:Link below:
http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk/sit...=Sony%20KDL40X2000 Discount Deals Glasgow

Or if you really, really want the latest then import a TV from Japan, on price Japan.com, they sell the latest Sony Bravia LCD TV (40X model: KDL-40X2550) for around £1100 plus delivery and VAT and custms, brings the total cost to around £2000.00. Including an adapter(transformer) to use it on UK plugs. This way you get the latest technology, 1 year in advance! But it will only play NTSC stuff! NOT PAL! This TV would really only be good for watching movies and games only, not for watching TV, unless you can find a very high quality picture converter(PAL to NTSC converter), but it must be very high quality. Also very important: ONLY 30-60 days international WARRANTY! But this, in my opinion, (and is in my own opinion only!) the best way to purchase the best TV(this is my opinion, no one elses!). Price is no warranty(I know! Sorry, it is imported!), but you do get the best TV, with all the latest technology, which will come out sometime next year in Europe!

Price Japan website: www.pricejapan.com (if you order today, you get it in 5 days time, much quicker than UK stock, its nearly sold out in many places!)

But if you do choose the import route, remember to find out as much as you can, and know there is no warranty, and no gaurantee it can play PAL/UK TV content perfectly, but it will play movies and games at its best!

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

Ps. Buy a Sony(not a Phoney!) Just joking!:D

:thumbsup:

PS. I do not work for pricejapan.com, but I would recommend them!

timble

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies, before I checked back here I've decided my best bet would be a 46" and I've been looking at;

KDL46W2000

I can't seem to find a review though. Is it any good?

Also, some people who apparantley know their stuff say 1080p isn't all it's hyped up to be and you have to be like 3 feet away to notice it and also Plasmas are better than LCD as the blacks are better.

Does this sound right? Sorry, I know nothing.

Tim

Flashman

Tim,
You'll spend months on here asking questions if you're not careful...There are so many conflicting views/recommendations that it can be very difficult to sort out what's "right" for you..

I would suggest, firstly, how big is the room the set is going in? -

A big set looks good, but will overpower a small room. Perhaps make a cardboard mock up of the different sizes you're considering, stick them on the wall or in the corner and it will give you a rough idea of how big the thing will be and how close you'll be sitting.

Secondly, what do you watch most? - A good hi-def source, Sky HD, HD-DVD or Blu Ray etc will give a good picture (in the main), but lots of HD ready tv's do not fare so well with regular sd standard transmissions or poor signals...

Will you want PC, XBox or PS3 capability as well? If so, then certain sets are better suited than others. LCDs and Plasmas both have their pro's and con's really in these respects.

Really, if it were me, I would go to a decent store and get have a look at several sets you're interested in, look at them with a decent feed/input and have a play with the settings (making allowance for showroom lights etc).

Ultimately, it's an expensive purchase and you want to be happy with it in the long run...

Only my tuppence worth really, but I would never buy a set blind without seeing it in the flesh first.

Hope this helps..:)

timble

Standard Member
Tim,
You'll spend months on here asking questions if you're not careful...There are so many conflicting views/recommendations that it can be very difficult to sort out what's "right" for you..

I would suggest, firstly, how big is the room the set is going in? -

A big set looks good, but will overpower a small room. Perhaps make a cardboard mock up of the different sizes you're considering, stick them on the wall or in the corner and it will give you a rough idea of how big the thing will be and how close you'll be sitting.

Secondly, what do you watch most? - A good hi-def source, Sky HD, HD-DVD or Blu Ray etc will give a good picture (in the main), but lots of HD ready tv's do not fare so well with regular sd standard transmissions or poor signals...

Will you want PC, XBox or PS3 capability as well? If so, then certain sets are better suited than others. LCDs and Plasmas both have their pro's and con's really in these respects.

Really, if it were me, I would go to a decent store and get have a look at several sets you're interested in, look at them with a decent feed/input and have a play with the settings (making allowance for showroom lights etc).

Ultimately, it's an expensive purchase and you want to be happy with it in the long run...

Only my tuppence worth really, but I would never buy a set blind without seeing it in the flesh first.

Hope this helps..:)

Thanks Flashma (And anyone else who has contributed)

I had a Sharp 42 L1XDE but I'm sending it back due to Banding, Buzzing and cutting out. I was also not majorly impressed with the pic, even on Bluray through the PS3.

I have started looking at some Plasma's as the colours seems richer and clearer (I know there will be views for and against). I think I have spotted a Pioneer Plasma (50") that even has 1080p but now Ican't find the bloody thing for anyone's opinion.

My room is 18ft long so I think it could just handle a 50" :D

peteTV

Standard Member
I was (am?)in a similar position and decided on the sony w46 from dabs online. I ordered it on 28 march, the website said stock expected in 1-3 days. a week later stock was expected in 1-2 weeks! the quicklinx number 49Q9ZD now says discontinued....after speaking with them online, they said they may get some in at the very end of May, but couldn't guarantee it. my order was cancelled and I am currently chasing up my £25 deposit...and looking for another (reliable?) supplier...

DragonDan69

Hi,

Basically most TVs out now, whether Plasmas or LCDs will be good(not many big brands like to sell TVs not up to scratch!). Both will have plus and minus's etc. Just make sure you know what to expect.

For colour deepness, the 55 inch Sony rear projector(going now at around £1500.00) has the highest, of 10000:1, this is only achieved via the how it is projected, motion blur is nil. But may not look so great in a very well lit room. You should find a place which has this. So you can see for yuorself if this typ eof TV is any good for you, don't think rear projectors are not any good, you should see them for yourself!

Remember its not just Plasma or LCDs, its also Rear Projections and Projectors aswell.

£1500 for a 55 inch screen is cheap. Especially if it has all the latest technologies etc. You could buy yourself loads of Blu-ray movies with the left over money!:thumbsup:

Or you could buy both a plasma/LCD and also a Projector. Where you would have a nice/decent flatscreen, and when you want to watch a movie, you have a 70+ inch picture etc. Or a 55 inch rear projector is kinda like the best of both worlds.

But you should have a look at Plasmas, LCDs and also Rear Projectors aswell as Projectors.

Good Luck. When I got my LCD TV, I knew it may not have deeper blacks as a plasma, and may have some motion blur(have not seen any! because LCDs have improved alot now!), and that SD pictures may not be so hot(not really a problem!), etc. I knew it was abit more than other LCDs, but I knew this is the TV I wanted.

Same, you should have a look at the top 3 of plasmas, LCDs and Rear Projectors within your price budget. Then decide for yourself. Talk to people in the shops, they know a thing or two about TVs.

Good Luck! Happy TV hunting! :D

You are now on your way to go hunting!:rotfl:

Always the best part of getting a new TV, is deciding and researching etc. and of course the waiting and then the arrival and then the turning on of the new TV!:rotfl:

I want to go hunting for a TV again!:thumbsup:

timble

Standard Member
Always the best part of getting a new TV, is deciding and researching etc. and of course the waiting and then the arrival and then the turning on of the new TV!:rotfl:

I want to go hunting for a TV again!:thumbsup:

I'm hating it, I find it Sooooo confusing!

I nearly went for Pioneer PDP-507XD as I thought it was 1080p but it's not - and even if it's not, does it matter? Will my PS3 look better or worse? I'm so confused.

Others I've been looking at;
Pioneer PDP-506XDE
Panasonic TH-50PX600
TH42PX70CAB

DragonDan69

If your going to go for a Plasma, its the next forum up! Just kidding, but you should really start talking to people in the plasma forums.:thumbsup:

If you are thinking of 720p stuff, then just go for this TV:
http://www.digitaldirect.otherserver.co.uk/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=12282

Its cheap, about £880.00. 50 inch!:thumbsup: :D :rotfl: :smashin:

LGs are well priced and offer decent technology.

Looking through what hifi magazine just now, I can see only 2-3 plasmas which offer full 1080p pictures. Plasma tvs are abit behind in technology!

For £2k, you could get a 50 inch plasma, which will display 720p, not 1080p, is there a difference? YES! But you need to see for yourself-in person in a shop, and compare the difference of the resolutions wth your own eyes or judgement!

But if you was to get a an LCD, you should be able to get a 46" Samsung/Sony/other for under £2K, with full HD, or 1080p.

It all depends on how far you will be from the screen. My recomendation is any screen from 40" upwards, would benefit from a 1080p resolution. Also, a 46 inch, is the best option at the moment, as its bigger than a 40" but only a little bit smaller than a 50"-52" screen. There is a big difference between a 40" and a 50" screen.

For your money, you wouldn't be able to get a 1080p plasma, but you could get a 46" samsung LCD TV.

Good Luck!

Lastly, if you really want a 50" 1080p plasma TV, then I think there are a few (say 1-2) that are around the £3K mark. Otherwise your best bet is to go for an LCD TV.

The TVs you mentioned are good, but they only display up 720p. Its all about future proofing your TV. If you don't mind going for a brand you like, and don't mind going for a 720p, and also don't mind changing your system for another one in 2 years time, then any of the TVs you mentioned in the previous post is all fine and good, because you know what you like, and you know what it can, in this case what it can't do, and also you may be willing to buy another in 2 years time, and put this new one in the bedroom.

I have a Sony 40X series TV, and already, I want to get a newer one to replace it(if there was one!:D ), but I promised not to get one now:)nono: ), but in 2 years time:)clap: ), and then put this one in my bedroom:)rotfl: ), or spare room/computer room in the future:)smashin: ).

Just think, am I bovvered! Hehehe!:rotfl: Just ask youself this question about 1080p: AM I BOVVERED????:confused:

Go for it! Just know what you can expect from the TV!:thumbsup:

Buy it! :devil: :devil: :devil:

Caution: You should know all the plus and minus of the TV you are about to buy!

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom