1080p vs. pixel enhanced?

MaryL

Novice Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy my first projector for use in small crowds (20 people). Will the average person notice a difference in clarity with 1080p vs. a pixel enhanced model?

This will depend upon the material you are showing, seating distances in relation to screen size and how good their eyes

For 20 people, I'm guessing the room is quite large, how will the light control be as this will affect how people will perceive the image more discouragingly than using anything like 4k projector with image shifting technology do compared to 1080p technology

This will depend upon the material you are showing, seating distances in relation to screen size and how good their eyes

For 20 people, I'm guessing the room is quite large, how will the light control be as this will affect how people will perceive the image more discouragingly than using anything like 4k projector with image shifting technology do compared to 1080p technology
Thanks Shane,
The room is 23 feet long and 14 feet wide. I can block out most of the ambient light. The seats will be around 14 to 23 feet back. Screen size 120 inches.

14' should be fine for a 120" screen if want to keep it the solution to a 1080p

Have you thought about audio and how you are going to join the sound and vision together?

No. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I would like to use Bluetooth if possible
14' should be fine for a 120" screen if want to keep it the solution to a 1080p

Have you thought about audio and how you are going to join the sound and vision together

As you have a projector screen size, find a projector which will fill the screen from a set distance. from there, you can work out how long the cables are going to be as you will then know where the AV Receiver or stereo will be living as you'll want to keep that distance as short as possible for an events place

Speaker cable isn't to hard to run and so long as you have 5 speaker plus a woofer or 2 large speakers with a stereo solution, things will just fall into place

So, things you'll need to understand is the throw ratio and offset of the projector you are choosing. Many 1080p LCD, SXRD and LCOS technologies have lens shift and good zoom capabilities. Epson are one of the best depending upon model.

Maybe start looking at Epson firstly and choose a few models within your budget. From there we'll be able to work out where you need to place it in the room (this will be the throw ratio). After this, you'll have a better understanding what electronics you need to work with projector.

I'm guessing you'll be using a PC for playing movies?

The other thing to do is draw a plan regarding floorplan and where everyone is likely to sit, make out where the main sockets are, doors and windows. Then pencil in where you'd like the speakers to live and where you think the projector will live and from hear, with the projector, you'll many more things without having to purchase anything right away

If your proposed audience are ordinary members of the public (ie not AV enthusiasts), I suspect they'll be over-awed at the picture size and won't care less about the quality.

Or am I getting cynical in my old age? :)

The other thing to do is draw a plan regarding floorplan and where everyone is likely to sit, make out where the main sockets are, doors and windows. Then pencil in where you'd like the speakers to live and where you think the projector will live and from hear, with the projector, you'll many more things without having to purchase anything right away
Thanks Shane, for your replies. I have done most of that already. I think I have decided on the Espon Home Cinema 2250. Upon more researching, I don't think pixel enhancement will be of any benefit because the seating will be far enough away from the screen (14 feet minimum). I chose this model because, for one, it is available! Also because it has bluetooth installed. However, I am reading that the audio and video might not be in perfect sync (Epson website specs file) and this annoys me greatly so I will likely have to work with cable and wires. Do I need a reciever? If so, would I just need one cable to go from the projector to the reciever, and everything else plugs into the reciever directly?

With projection, cables are always king and I would recommend that you ignore the wifi or bluetooth area as this will just cause you unwanted headaches as some HDMI cables which are tired and tested can cause you some.

For the audio, what exactly are you looking for. Is it surround sound or will a stereo solution be enough for your to create the desired effect of clear noise when playing footage?

Could I also ask, is it blockbuster movies you'll be playing or third party amature film created by film clubs and the likes?

I will be showing blockbusters, independent high quality films (documentaries) and possibly a few amature videos. I would like a decent sound within my budget as I would like some concert videos too (YouTube type). I was thinking a simple surround sound set up (like maybe 5 speakers) but I can try with something simpler for starters.

If I use cables, what kind would I use? Someone suggested fibre optics to me because of the length of my span, which is approx. 30 to 40 feet from the projector to the reciever. (Do I need a reciever and if so, is this the only cable that needs to be plugged into the projector, other than the electric plug-in of course)?

Thanks again!

For the cabling, this will depend upon the electronics solution path you take. Once cable is an absolute must with the projector and that will be HDMI. All cables are certified to 5m and if you are showing to the public, using a 1080p projector should save you a lot of headaches and 4k material over longer distances can be a nightmare for anyone using it

Regarding the distances you are talking about, Fibre or standard high quality HDMI cables should be fine upto about 15m (49'). You will spend a lot on the cable and I'd suggest something like the QED Performance HDMI Cable (its what I use at home without issue). There are cheaper options, but its more of a lottery than a guarantee that they'll work

If you are planning for the future, then ensure the cable is always accessible to remove at a later date (this is the most important information I can offer you as its more important than the AVR, Projector or Speakers as they can fail and do plus if you need to upgrade to fibre for 4k, you can easily access it)

What you'll need in order to show movies.

• License to do so!
  • Something to play the footage you wish to show (Blu-ray Player, PC Based Software plus partnering software to ensure seamless viewing)
  • Surround sound will require an AV Receiver, Stereo sounds will require an integrated stereo (if you run down the stereo option, then the Blu-ray Player will require optical or RCA outputs)
  • Workings of the Throw Ratio for the projector to screen
  • Ceiling mount
  • Speaker and Subwoofer Cable
  • Speakers, For a large venu, you will need more than just the basics as you will quickly ruin then, so, buy once, but buy better
  • Active Subwoofers

The main thing that could make your system fail is budget, The AV Receiver will have to have something more than just the basics like the speakers. I

The analogy is like two identical cars with different engine. One has a tiny 3 cylinder compared to the 6 cylinder v6 with a couple of turbos attached. Even though round town both would be perfectly comfortable, the rev's however would tell a different story as the tiny 3 cylinder will have to work harder to just even keep up with the larger engine version and when the tiny 3 cylinder has maxed out at 5,000rpm, you know that the v6 is only just getting going at around 2,500 rpm with much more available should never needs.

Now, using more than one subwoofer means that you are not calling on the those speakers or amplifiers to deliver that extra power require for the difficult low end notes meaning they work a little bit like a turbo on a car. The more you have, then better it is and for the surrounds speakers, you can in fact use smaller speakers (still good quality but this should put less strain on both them and the AV Receiver) allowing you to rely on the grunt of the woofers (turbos (as I've created the analogy it ;))) to fill the room

Now thankfully the room isn't hugh at 7m (23') x 4.2m (14'). So again this will work in your favour

Whatever you do, be realistic with your budget, Don't buy the baseline products and they will not last long if its going to get some proper usage and you will wear them out very quickly.

As a minimum, I'd suggest two of these. SVS PB1000, Yamaha RX-A4A (due to the usual reliability and durability of Yamaha), SVS Prime Bookshelf and Centre. Cable wise, Any good quality 1.5mm or 2.5mm cable and for the sub, purchase a fat cable over a thinner one as bass travels on the outerside of the cable (or so I've been told by the clever boffins in the industry)

For locating the projector at the right distance, the spec data claims you can achieve a 120" Diagonal throw from between 11' 7" and 18' 10" with approximately 8" lens shift. Before you purchase, I would suggest ensuring you view the item first and maybe look at something little larger like the 3200 as this is where cinema projectors really start in Epsons line up. Ones below are really data projectors re-jigged for the domestic home solution. The throw is almost identical (and I'd say work on between 12' and 18' for your measurements), but it also gives you proper lens shift meaning the job of setting up is thousand times easier especially if it's not going to be fixed in place

Floor plan and front wall elevation - are you able to share them?

Permanent install - is your kit being fixed in place?

Screen - if your seating is not raked or on tiers the screen needs to be set higher than you would set it for a single row of seating.

Projection - I’d go with a Projector from the Installation/Event Market rather than a Home Cinema projector.

Audio - surround and overhead effects are quickly forgotten if the dialogue is lost, your seating layout will guide the best loudspeaker layout (often 2.1 with multiple stereo pairs down the side of the room).

Mic - any requirement to have speaker support?

Cabling - whilst you tend to end up with kit in a rack, cupboard etc at the Rear of the room you may want to also allow for Presenters having a Laptop at the front of the room.

Some installation projectors include an HDBT Receiver for video over a CAT cable - which allows for longer cable runs and a more robust solution, you simply add an HDBT Transmitter at the Source end of the cable run.

Joe

For the cabling, this will depend upon the electronics solution path you take. Once cable is an absolute must with the projector and that will be HDMI. All cables are certified to 5m and if you are showing to the public, using a 1080p projector should save you a lot of headaches and 4k material over longer distances can be a nightmare for anyone using it

Regarding the distances you are talking about, Fibre or standard high quality HDMI cables should be fine upto about 15m (49'). You will spend a lot on the cable and I'd suggest something like the QED Performance HDMI Cable (its what I use at home without issue). There are cheaper options, but its more of a lottery than a guarantee that they'll work

If you are planning for the future, then ensure the cable is always accessible to remove at a later date (this is the most important information I can offer you as its more important than the AVR, Projector or Speakers as they can fail and do plus if you need to upgrade to fibre for 4k, you can easily access it)

What you'll need in order to show movies.

• License to do so!
  • Something to play the footage you wish to show (Blu-ray Player, PC Based Software plus partnering software to ensure seamless viewing)
  • Surround sound will require an AV Receiver, Stereo sounds will require an integrated stereo (if you run down the stereo option, then the Blu-ray Player will require optical or RCA outputs)
  • Workings of the Throw Ratio for the projector to screen
  • Ceiling mount
  • Speaker and Subwoofer Cable
  • Speakers, For a large venu, you will need more than just the basics as you will quickly ruin then, so, buy once, but buy better
  • Active Subwoofers

The main thing that could make your system fail is budget, The AV Receiver will have to have something more than just the basics like the speakers. I

The analogy is like two identical cars with different engine. One has a tiny 3 cylinder compared to the 6 cylinder v6 with a couple of turbos attached. Even though round town both would be perfectly comfortable, the rev's however would tell a different story as the tiny 3 cylinder will have to work harder to just even keep up with the larger engine version and when the tiny 3 cylinder has maxed out at 5,000rpm, you know that the v6 is only just getting going at around 2,500 rpm with much more available should never needs.

Now, using more than one subwoofer means that you are not calling on the those speakers or amplifiers to deliver that extra power require for the difficult low end notes meaning they work a little bit like a turbo on a car. The more you have, then better it is and for the surrounds speakers, you can in fact use smaller speakers (still good quality but this should put less strain on both them and the AV Receiver) allowing you to rely on the grunt of the woofers (turbos (as I've created the analogy it ;))) to fill the room

Now thankfully the room isn't hugh at 7m (23') x 4.2m (14'). So again this will work in your favour

Whatever you do, be realistic with your budget, Don't buy the baseline products and they will not last long if its going to get some proper usage and you will wear them out very quickly.

As a minimum, I'd suggest two of these. SVS PB1000, Yamaha RX-A4A (due to the usual reliability and durability of Yamaha), SVS Prime Bookshelf and Centre. Cable wise, Any good quality 1.5mm or 2.5mm cable and for the sub, purchase a fat cable over a thinner one as bass travels on the outerside of the cable (or so I've been told by the clever boffins in the industry)

For locating the projector at the right distance, the spec data claims you can achieve a 120" Diagonal throw from between 11' 7" and 18' 10" with approximately 8" lens shift. Before you purchase, I would suggest ensuring you view the item first and maybe look at something little larger like the 3200 as this is where cinema projectors really start in Epsons line up. Ones below are really data projectors re-jigged for the domestic home solution. The throw is almost identical (and I'd say work on between 12' and 18' for your measurements), but it also gives you proper lens shift meaning the job of setting up is thousand times easier especially if it's not going to be fixed in place

Wow! That is a lot of information and quite "over my head" but I am googling and checking out the electronics that you suggested (may not be available here in Canada). So, one thing at a time...

I was thinking about the Epson 2250 because I felt I did not need the 4K pixel enhancemnt that the 3200 has. Also, because the Contrast Ratio for this model is 70,000:1 vs. 40,000:1 that the 3200 has. I do appreciate your recommendation and I want to buy what is best. I do not want a brightness that hurts my eyes (our tv is starting to bother me). Will the difference in Contrast Ratio play a major role? The 3200 will have better processing and picture quality I believe so I want to seriously conside it. Also, you mentioned that over a long span 1080 is more easily handled by the cables than 4K. The 3200 is not true 4K but will there be an issue there if I use HDMI cables as you suggested (I can't see that brand you suggested available here in Canada).

I am happy about your warnings about potential problems with Bluetooth and wireless. I would rather have something easy and dependable. Thank you!

Floor plan and front wall elevation - are you able to share them?

Permanent install - is your kit being fixed in place?

Screen - if your seating is not raked or on tiers the screen needs to be set higher than you would set it for a single row of seating.

Projection - I’d go with a Projector from the Installation/Event Market rather than a Home Cinema projector.

Audio - surround and overhead effects are quickly forgotten if the dialogue is lost, your seating layout will guide the best loudspeaker layout (often 2.1 with multiple stereo pairs down the side of the room).

Mic - any requirement to have speaker support?

Cabling - whilst you tend to end up with kit in a rack, cupboard etc at the Rear of the room you may want to also allow for Presenters having a Laptop at the front of the room.

Some installation projectors include an HDBT Receiver for video over a CAT cable - which allows for longer cable runs and a more robust solution, you simply add an HDBT Transmitter at the Source end of the cable run.

Joe
Hi Joe,

My ceiling elevation in the entire building is 12 feet. The entire building is 23 x 27 feet (inside measurements). I am using half the room (23 feet long and 13.5 feet wide), perhaps putting a curtain part way down the middle (or maybe not if I am accomodating a larger audience). I think the projector can be installed on the ceiling 12 feet back from the screen. I will have 3 rows of seating, with the closest to the screen about 15 feet to the back of the seat. The back row will be 6 inches from the back wall. I should accomodate about 18 seats (3 rows). I would like a stand below the screen, on the floor in which the reciever can sit. I expect to put in a central speaker (?) and maybe two at each side just beyond the screen at floor level. Maybe two others on the side walls, nearer to the back (??)

Yes, I hope to do a permanent install. I have figured out if heads will be in the way. The screen will be a little higher than usual. We can build a tier for the back row in the future if needed. We are small-scale, and this is a non-profit, reaching out to help the poor. Therefore I want decent equipment that does a good job, but nothing extravagent as this does not reflect the nature of my Mission. I would rather spend less and give more to the poor.

I will not need a mic. Very good sound wave abilities ( I am worried about too much echo, but others tell me once I get some furniture, wall hangings, and bodies in, it will help immensely).

I do not understand much about the cable terminology you were speaking about. Sorry... Maybe you can recommend some things to me? I live in Canada. I hope I can stay within $5000 for everything I need regarding projector, screen, recievers, speakers, and cable. Maybe I am a dreamer?.... :) I am now looking at the Espon Home Cinema 3200 vs the 2250. I can at least get these now (many items not available at this time).

Thanks for your help!!

Layout - do you have a sketch and include the ‘extended’ version when you say you may increase the audience size.

Loudspeakers - unless folk in Canada have ears in there knees you want to rethink the speaker placement and get the speakers up high to allow you to cover the eighteen seats.

Viewing - plan now for raising the rear seating, nothing worse than looking into the back of someone’s head.

Budget - going second hand for some or all of the kit will greatly increase your options.

AV - really this is AV rather than Home Theatre, have you ‘reached out’ to your Community for assistance, there is bound to be an AV Co. or Tech who will help you out.

Licensing - it has been mentioned previously but have you had a look at what is involved if you wish to show ‘Blockbusters’? I run a Community project in the Scottish Borders and it is far from straightforward, or often affordable, when you aim to show copyrighted material.

Joe

Layout - do you have a sketch and include the ‘extended’ version when you say you may increase the audience size.

Loudspeakers - unless folk in Canada have ears in there knees you want to rethink the speaker placement and get the speakers up high to allow you to cover the eighteen seats.

Viewing - plan now for raising the rear seating, nothing worse than looking into the back of someone’s head.

Budget - going second hand for some or all of the kit will greatly increase your options.

AV - really this is AV rather than Home Theatre, have you ‘reached out’ to your Community for assistance, there is bound to be an AV Co. or Tech who will help you out.

Licensing - it has been mentioned previously but have you had a look at what is involved if you wish to show ‘Blockbusters’? I run a Community project in the Scottish Borders and it is far from straightforward, or often affordable, when you aim to show copyrighted material.

Joe
Hi Joe, Sketch attached. If I have extra people they would go to the open space in the left, where I've shown a table and chairs. I have reached out to a local tech to see if he would help me. Hopefully he is still in the area. For the past 5 years I ran some copyrighted films at our local Village Playhouse Theatre, so yes, I do know all about the licensing and had no problem acquiring them, although they can be very pricey. It is not that hard here in Canada. They are all previously released films. The tech I speak of is the one who ran the equipment for me at that venue.

I have figured out the screen placement and height according to Epson's project calculator.

I likely would rarely show a Blockbuster type film. My mission is educational. One example of what I would be doing: I met a refuge from Afghanistan last summer. We talked about sponsorship to Canada. She linked me to a documentary about this (she is in it). With her help and license to screen the film (as well as her being present for discussion afterward) we can educate a local group about life as an Afghanistan refuge and encourage sponsorship to Canada.
With refreshments and a very pleasant country farm setting, this would be most appealing!

Thanks for your advice, all the way from Scotland!

Attachments

• DSC_8371.JPG
    DSC_8371.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Assuming the room is multipurpose how often will you use it in ‘Cinema’ mode and what other uses does it have to cater for?

For optimum flexibility and unless you plan to use the system weekly I would consider a ‘fold away’ type screen, portable PA and portable projector.

That gives you optimum flexibility in terms of layout, can be set up and packed away in under an hour and can be used in any space for audio or video with audio support.

A ‘fast fold’ type screen can be ordered with front, rear or both surfaces and stored in a small ‘trunk’ flight case.

Manufacturers such as LD Systems have excellent Line array speaker systems with built in mixer (or you can add an external mixer to the system).

You can start with a ‘two’ speaker system and when budget allows/presentations require you add additional speakers to the system.

Line array works well when you have to cover multiple rows of seats.

I use the Curv 500 PS with soft bags as a versatile portable system for Movie nights, Sports Events, Presentations, Weddings, Parties… you can also install the system, https://www.ld-systems.com/en/series/curv-500-series/3867/curv-500-ps?c=2487

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom