Question 1080p vs 4k on HT3550?

carleton83

Novice Member
Hi Everyone! I've enjoyed this forum while doing research, and thought I would sign up!

I bought an HT3550 projector as my first projector last year, and have really been enjoying it. But I thought I would see a big difference between 1080p blu-rays and 4k blu-rays.

But I can't! I even put in both the 1080p HD and 4k UHD discs of the new Blade Runner movie, and they look identical to me. Not that I'm an expert, but thankfully, they both look really good! SD discs look pretty fuzzy and bland.

I'm sitting 6.5' away from a 96" screen, and have 20/20 vision. I'm playing the DVDs on an Xbox One S...sounds like a 4k dvd player might be better, but I'm not sure how much?

I hear all the talk about how amazing 4k is vs 1080p, so I'm wondering if I'm the only one experiencing them looking almost identical?

Thank you in advance for any replies or advice! :)

-Carleton

Last edited:

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I'm with you on this one, with regards to sharpness I have watched and compared all on my 4K Blurays I have which is only a limited number and I don't see the 4K version being sharper than the regular disc but colours are different if your machine can see the wider colour range.

I wonder is this true for an actual native 4K machine?

nadg63

Whilst the pic quality difference is sometimes negligible, on a 4K UHD disc the audio quality does tend to be much better.

carleton83

Novice Member
Awesome, thank you guys for the feedback! I'll keep my ears open for the audio track difference between the two formats as well!

Reading some of the other threads sounds like actually seeing a major difference with 4k discs might mean spending $10k+ on a projector...so as long as I never see one of those fancy pictures, I won't know what I'm missing. :)

Does anyone know if there may be a measurable difference between a standalone 4k DVD player vs an Xbox? I believe my projector has HDR10.

We live in the middle of nowhere with poor internet, so we're not ready goodbye to discs quite yet.

Marky1973

I was planning to upgrade to 4k from my old JVCDLA-HD350 but am struggling when the JVC still gives such a good picture. I have decided to take a bit more time and have bought a new lamp and will next look at a new AVR to upgrade the sound - it almost feels like the image is the last thing that needs upgrading.

Not sure if this really helps, but the first thing I upgraded was the disc spinner from a PS4 to a Panny 820 and, in my own, totally subjective view, it is a better experience through the Panny than the PS4. It may well be some sort of bizarre placebo effect, but the Panny really does spin discs well....and, as a picky bugger, it makes the HD audio light glow bright blue on my amp, which I always had trouble with on the PS....probably more to do with the settings, but I struggled to get it to light up however I set the PS up. So, again, in my totally subjective opinion, the audio is better as well. So, while I have bought a 4k platyer, but don't have a 4k display (yet) I am very happy with the upgrade from the PS.

LIke I say, a lot of this (maybe all of it) is subjective, so you have to go with what looks good to you and I know that a side-by-side comparison with a 4k projector would show the better colour range over the JVC but, for now, it will keep me going while I save/sell a kidney! :)

pd2444

Standard Member
You're right, the difference is small. It is there though but it is not night and day. However what I do notice with all the 4k projectors is what a great job they do with 1080p material - 1080p material definitely looks a step up on a 4k projector than it does on a 1080p one. This is great if you have a large 1080p collection as it gives them a new lease of life. I think it is the extra pixel fill which just gives a smoother image.

I can't see why the sound would be much different - Bluray and 4k Bluray have the same basic sound spec don't they and a TrueHD or DTS MA soundtrack is lossless regardless of how many channels they have?

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Agreed even the switch from 1080p projector to an e-shift projector I noticed how much smoother and ultimately sharper the image looked, the switch to a native 4K should in theory look even better again.

Marky1973

You're right, the difference is small. It is there though but it is not night and day. However what I do notice with all the 4k projectors is what a great job they do with 1080p material - 1080p material definitely looks a step up on a 4k projector than it does on a 1080p one. This is great if you have a large 1080p collection as it gives them a new lease of life. I think it is the extra pixel fill which just gives a smoother image.

I can't see why the sound would be much different - Bluray and 4k Bluray have the same basic sound spec don't they and a TrueHD or DTS MA soundtrack is lossless regardless of how many channels they have?
Yeah I should probably clarify that I didn't mean the sound was better in the Panny over the PS, just that it was easier to get to to a point where I knew it was outputting the HD soundtracks. So it did sound better, but mainly because it was just working how it should without having to experiment with settings.

nadg63

Quite a few 4K UHD versions of the movie have an Atmos soundtrack whereas the regular 1080 Blu-ray doesn't.

carleton83

Novice Member
Thanks again for the great comments! This is really helpful to point me in the direction to go. I think I'll try a 4k spinner, but beyond that I'm just going to sit back and enjoy both formats, and be happy they both look good! :))

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom