1080p Projector or 50inch TV

diablo123

Standard Member
Reaction score
What should I do. Was set on getting the sony 52EX1 wireless TV. But now I am thinking a 1080p projector would be great!!!

The thing is if you watch all your TV programs on a huge 52 inch screen, like the news eastenders etc then when you watch a Movie or sport etc, it all seems the same. No real impact.

So for movies a 100inch screen would be so much better.

What are the benefits or drawbacks of these projectors, (would not be spending more than £1500 on the projector).

Any help would be great. And if anyone is in Gloucestershire and wouldnt mind me seeing there projector setup I would love to come and have a look.

Cheers

both? ;)
its what I did. made complete sense and haven't looked back since. it's the best of both worlds.
good luck!

cant afford both thats for sure. Maybe get a cheapish £500 46 inch screen for normal TV I suppose but then the projector needs to be at a very good price. I have no idea where to start looking for a projector and testing etc. any hints?

Please post in the projector forum for projector queries.

sony 52EX1 wireless TV

Projectors and TV's have very different capabilities , projectors arnt very visible in direct light so as a substitute for a TV its not very practical.

For watching movies in a darkened room however , projectors cant be beat.

And finally . That Sony model is a very very bad buy , and heres why .....

Inputs to that TV are into a box called the media center , and everything is then sent over a version of wireless HDMI to the screen ....

The problem is that this is a first attempt at wireless HDMI , the particular version Sony use in this set works at 5Ghz , this is severely limited in terms of bandwidth and has to use heavy compression , picture quality suffers hugely as a result , visible artifacts are everywhere.

The only way to connect without compromising the picture is direct to the set via HDMI cable , and these slots are not very well situated on this set.

Most people have dropped the idea of using the 5Ghz version of wireless HDMI in favour of the 60Ghz version currently on the cards , the 60Ghz version will not have to compress like the 5Ghz version and as a result is much much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
cant afford both thats for sure. Maybe get a cheapish £500 46 inch screen for normal TV I suppose but then the projector needs to be at a very good price. I have no idea where to start looking for a projector and testing etc. any hints?

I bought the first big screen LCD's from sony, 3 yrs ago it costed me an arm and a leg. £3000 for something nowadays costing half, but that what you buy into when dealing with electronics. And then for the projector, it was just £1000 for the epson hd proj, 4,000 hour bulb with 3 yrs warranty, whichever comes first (on the bulb). 3 years on everything else as well. Worth the money if you ask me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom