1080p player for 50-100 quid

ThreeDee

Standard Member
Hi people.

Its been forever since i had a proper dvd player. At one point i used PS2, which obviously sucked some major balls, i've used some crappy tesco coaster-makers, and as of maybe a year or two i use my pc with a Sharpie LC-42XD1E set as a second monitor. Which works ok, if not the cumbersomeness of the controls. No remote, cant relax on me couch, etc.

So, i have decided to shop around for a dedicated DVD player with certain tech capabilities.

What i want is a player for 50-100 gbp, that has HDMI, DivX/Xvid playback, USB playback, and 1080p upscaling.

At the moment i'm looking at Phillips 5960, but it only has 1080i and this, having a 1080p telly is a waste. As far as i know Phillips 5980 (1080p) is not worth the money due to only difference from 5960 is having "p" upscale, but no custom firmwares, etc...

So, any help about my situation ?

Thanks

aniki

Hi,
At this price point, the benefit of a 1080p player as opposed to a 1080i player is close to zero. Chances are your TV will have better scaling/deinterlacing.
The Philips players are awesome for divx playback & USB etc but I wouldnt get hung up about upscaling unless you are prepared to spend more :)

W

walleyi

Hiya

check out the new pioneer or panasonic range as i think they run 1080p output and have had good reviews in some of the mags. Some Asda stores were selling the panasonic at £80 - £90.

If anyone has one of these i'd be interest in hearing what you think.

Cheers

Wal.

chris57

Hi people.

At the moment i'm looking at Phillips 5960, but it only has 1080i and this, having a 1080p telly is a waste. As far as i know Phillips 5980 (1080p) is not worth the money due to only difference from 5960 is having "p" upscale, but no custom firmwares, etc...

So, any help about my situation ?

Thanks

There are custom firmwares available for the 5980 now. The 5960 was out for some time before firmwares. Here is a thread to the 5980/12 firmware bear in mind that its in its infancy but 48 character support is now there:-
http://board.softpedia.com/index.php?showtopic=8736
Firmware download here:-
http://rapidshare.com/files/52464450/DVP5980_12_tech25.rar.html
Use at your own risk obviously.

xander73

The new Sony DVP-NS78H (in Black or Silver) can be got for about £75 - £90, is HDMI, 1080p, DivX, but doesn't do USB playback (and is easy to multi-region via One-For-All hack)

dibdab

Pioneer dv400.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom