1080p or not?

deadslow

Standard Member
Simple question I hope. Had a bit of a change of heart so, in the 40” LCD range, for use by PC and PS3 sitting 2-3 feet away, and to watch TV and movies from 7-8 feet away, do I need 1080p? Do I need psychiatric assistance?

If the former, the KDL-40W4000 looks like the one. If not...

Thanks for any replies.

audiphile76

Simple question I hope. Had a bit of a change of heart so, in the 40” LCD range, for use by PC and PS3 sitting 2-3 feet away
No games are with 1080p, mostly they are with 720p, you wont get any benefit with a 1080p panel

and to watch TV and movies from 7-8 feet away, do I need 1080p? Do I need psychiatric assistance?

U dont need any psychiatric assistance if you stick with a 720p set instead of a 1080p set. At 7-8 feet away, u need a panel atleast 46" and above to make out any difference between a 1080p and a 720p inputs.

namuk

Distinguished Member
No games are with 1080p, mostly they are with 720p, you wont get any benefit with a 1080p panel

U dont need any psychiatric assistance if you stick with a 720p set instead of a 1080p set. At 7-8 feet away, u need a panel atleast 46" and above to make out any difference between a 1080p and a 720p inputs.

??? what were did you get that from 1080 = 1920x1080 you can set the xbox and pc to them settings .I do:thumbsup: + i no a few frends that do

audiphile76

??? what were did you get that from 1080 = 1920x1080 you can set the xbox and pc to them settings .I do:thumbsup: + i no a few frends that do

Probably you meant upscaling games to 1080p not native inputs...lol

audiphile76

upscaling games:rolleyes: lol a 1080p screen is 1920 native thats a new one upscaling games CLASS :rotfl:

Which games are doing native 1920 x 1080??? Are they new games?

namuk

Distinguished Member
Which games are doing native 1920 x 1080??? Are they new games?

all games that support the res well years i have one that does not BF2 (but a patch due out to support it) XBOX it detects the 1920 in games

there is no i.e native in games it is down to hardware that can do it:smashin:

audiphile76

there is no i.e native in games it is down to hardware that can do it:smashin:

you mean upscaling from source hardware, i have known that, but games dont have 1080p native. Its not the same PQ....native 1080p vs upscaling to 1080p

namuk

Distinguished Member
you mean upscaling from source hardware, i have known that, but games dont have 1080p native. Its not the same PQ....native 1080p vs upscaling to 1080p

??? same PQ no it doesent it has BETTER PQ at higher res . what you on about upscaling games? :rotfl: ok lets say COD4 xbox does this look better at 720p or 1080p? and has that game got a native res?

there is a native ladder out there for the very big HOLE you have dug :)

still comes down to the fact that deadslow posted a question = if you play on ether xbox and pc you can run 1920x1080 in games i.e 1080p i think the 1080 gives this away on end (depending on hardware on pc)

CP-PC

the games are not "upscaled", if you set your pc destop display or a pc game to 1920x1080 (1080p) then that is the native resolution that the content is displayed at. its not "upscaled" at all. if the games where upscaled then ANY game (even really really old games) would be able to run at 1080p resolution, but they cant. the xbox360 and ps3 can also change the native resolution from 480x640 (standard definition pal/ntfs) and various hd formats (including 720 and 1080p) on the pc it can depend on your hardware as to wether you can run at such a high resolution.

if you have a 40inch flat screen tv i would personaly sit maybe 4-5 feet away to avoid eye damage as personaly i think 2-3 foot is a bit to close for me but thats a personal preference.

video's are "upscaled" but games are processed down to each and every pixel.

as for the ops question if you have the hardware in your pc then yeah i would run games at 1920x1080 as this would look better. when i have finished building my pc ill be playing on a 24-26inch monitor at 1920x1080 (maybe 1920x1200 depending on settings)

ive got a ladder in the shed but i dont think its "native" so it might not be of use lol

Rasczak

Distinguished Member

As CP-PC and namuk have said games do indeed run natively at 1080p - indeed newer titles even support upto 1200. I can assure you of that! I think you might be getting confused with the way the Xbox 360/PS3 handle things. Those consoles frequently only have games that offer a native resolution of 720p. This is to avoid an excessive graphical workload. The video output can then be upscaled to 1080p - just like an upscaling DVD player for example. This is not what PCs do though!

deadslow

Standard Member
Wow, not so simple maybe!

It's the eye damage issue that is a concern I suppose, e.g. the size text will be displayed in on a 1080p panel from 2-3 feet. Presumably it will be bigger on a non-1080 panel.

Perhaps the 37V4000 is a better compromise.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Last edited:

CP-PC

the text will be bigger at a lower resolution. so if your running say a 42inch tv at 1080p the text will be smaller than running a 42inch tv at 720p

personaly for me 2-3 feet away from a huge screen like that is a little to close. i like to be able to see the whole or most of the screen without moving my eyes to extremes or moving my head. again thats just personal preference, im not sure how damaging to the eyes it can be if you sit to close to a tv. i know when i was a kid my parents used to say dont watch tv for to long or sit to close or you will get square eyes and such things like that.

if your gonna sit 2-3 feet away i would probably get a smaller tv that can still do 1080p but again thats personal preference. some people are perfectly fine watching a 50inch screen with thier nose practicaly touching the screen and never complain of eye problems but its up to you i guess

a 37inch tv that can do 1080p would be a better "compramise" imo but ultimatly its up to you

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom