1080p or not 1080p, that is the question (again!)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Sargent Cidered, Apr 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Sargent Cidered

Sargent Cidered

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking into a new 37" but like many people on here i've confused myself a bit. My budget really will only stretch to a pretty good 720p set, and i've been scratching my head whether I should stretch to a 1080p.

I want to be as up to date as possible and at the moment will be using the tv for SD tv watching, DVD's and maybe plugging the laptop into it. From what i can understand the 720p would be fine for this, but........ I want to be as future proof as possible as who knows in the future I may look into HD tv, Bluray and maybe even a PS3.

I know that playing this stuff on a 1080p would be amazing but to approach the question from a different angle, if I played a PS3 on a 720p tv for example, would it look rubbish or would i only notice it when seeing it on a full HD set?

Hope you catch my drift and I haven't confused you as much as i've confused myself! Any help would be gratefully received! :lease:

2. tonyten

tonyten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Not all PS3 games support 1080p at the moment so no, the games won't look rubbish on a 720p TV.

I have a 37" Sharp LC37XD1E which is 1080p but my 720p PS3 games still look great on it. I got it for £999 in February but it's now £899 from Empire Direct now.

3. Sargent Cidered

Sargent Cidered

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks tonyten, so what about when the 1080p games do come out ? I guess they'll look good but on a full HD they would look even better ?

4. iBoris

iBoris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The extra def will be better for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray as well as some PS3 games, but don't just buy a HD TV for the res alone.

The quality of the image should take precedence. You pretty much say it yourself in your post - you can afford a good 720p set or stretch to a basic 1080p set. I'd go for the former, you can always sell it on later when 1080p sets drop in value and more game companies are releasing 1080p games.

5. Blackbolt360

Blackbolt360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    The difference between 720p and 1080p is hardly amazing. The only way to notice it is to be 6 inches from the screen. At normal viewing distance you can't tell the difference. Also hardly any games will be 1080p native, because it uses alot more power and developers are comfortable staying in 720p native and using the extra output power on other areas. Like for instance Motorstorm developers Evolution Studios kept their game in 720p to save memory and cpu for the dynamic land destruction.

I don't recommend getting a 1080p screen just to be with the future. Because the likely event is when the 1080p screens start flowing there are going to be some really awesome screens with high contrast ratios and excellent black levels. Buy an accomplished 720p screen now. Alot of screens will still accept 1080p input, just downscale it to fit.

6. Sargent Cidered

Sargent Cidered

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys!

You've probably told me what i deep down wanted to hear! It's so difficult especially for someone buying thier first HD tv, by the time you ponder all the options something new is coming out and you can go on forever!!!

Plus the expense is another thing, you can have a budget for the TV, but then if you add an extended warrenty, a stand/wall bracket, decent leads etc the price suddenly shoots up by a good few hundred quid!

By getting a really good 720p i can get all this and hopefully have enough for a pint out of £1000 !:thumbsup:

Thank again!

7. JJK80

JJK80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    1920x1080p is better if you are going to use your television also as computer screen/monitor, because then you get more desktop space.

8. Junglist_uk

Junglist_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    bear in mind that the text on a standard windows desktop might be hard to read at a distance with 1080p, if your just web browsing and not using many apps 768p might be better depending on your viewing distance