1080P LCDs with HD and SD transmissions

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by STUARTGEARY, Dec 30, 2006.

1. STUARTGEARY

STUARTGEARY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I need some advice on purchasing a new LCD tv for sky HD.
    Ive currently got a Pioneer 43" PDP43XDE - a very nice plasma but a bit low on the pixel count - and im thinking of purchasing a true HD LCD of around 42" - 47"

But ive heard that LCD screens arent as good for viewing the SD pictures - is this so? My Pio is pretty good with std def (I had 2 other plasmas before it that were pretty bad)

The models im thinking about are the Tosh 47WLT66 and the 42" Sony Bravia (not the real expensive one)

Anyone got these models? Can comemnt on the SD picture qual (as i still view about 70% in SD)
    I also have a xbox 360 can thses models do 1080p thru component, and ill have a Wii next week

Should i stick with my Pio for the time? I wanted the 1080p for a pixel for pixel match on SKY HD of 1080i - will this look alot better than my current resolution?
    Any help would be appreciated

2. Jefft

Jefft

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Not True, I have absolutely perfect SD picture on my Samsung. I am using 720P by the way.

3. mpy32

mpy32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

the 360 cant do 1080p thru component anyway

vga only at the moment for 1080p on the 360

4. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    isnt that just for HD-DVD movies?

5. PlexShaw

PlexShaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +538
    Correct.

6. Smurkenstein

Smurkenstein

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The grass is greener....

This is the problem, getting a demo of the various sets and technologies on a level playing field.

For me I was hugely disappointed with my Bravia X LCD under SD until I moved from scart to HDMI and got Sky HD. Now the SD signal is generally very good. Some SD transmissions appear to have a very poor bitrate and give a lot of pixelation...heston blumenthal's cookery programs are a good example of appalling source quality on sky SD.

But to move from you plasma for the extra pixels...sounds like a lot of expense for not much return.

7. W124coupe

W124coupe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Do the maths for your viewing distance and the vertical height of your screen - 720 versus 1080 pixels vertically - are your eyes able to resolve at this (sub-millimetre) level at your viewing distance?

I doubt it.....what matters MUCH more, is black levels, motion smearing, SD upscale quality and what the box looks like in your room/decor - I can see grain,
    bad motion processing "fuzz" and motion blur at 2.5m but I can't see 720 versus 1080 pixels!

The vertical resolution only matters on 50inch screens at close distances - for me anyway....

Go to John Lewis with your DVD player and get a decent demo at your current viewing distance - then decide if the £££s are well spent (or if you are another potential victim of the "more pixels must be better" marketing sh!te).

Just like the latest 10m pixel compact cameras - their lenses cannot resolve enough detail to make 10m pixels worthwhile - bigger numbers just to make the "I've got old stuff and need to buy the latest" itch start up again)

8. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Off topic I know but it really pees me off with digital cameras. It's not necessarily the lens. Often, as with my Kodak 6.1MP, they up the JPEG compression so that a full res picture still 'fits' into 2Mb. The result - a crap picture! Lots of blurred pixels and JPEG artifacts! The sort of camera you need for that resolution is a DSLR with a raw picture mode - you can then do your own JPEG version on Paintshop, etc and make sure it retains the level of quality you want. So the pictures will be 40Mb big, who cares when 2Gb cards are so cheap now?

:offtopic:

Sorry!