1080p LCD TV or Projector and screen

kenmac21

Novice Member
Need some help
I have a dilemma ,I'm updating my TV and on my budget I have 2 choices and I don't know what to do.
1st choice is Projector and screen spec as follows
Model
D8H (HD READY)

LCD technology
3.5inch single,sharp, LCD panel

Resolution
support: 800*600,1024*768,1280*1024*1080i(hd)

(physical resolution 1080i hd)

Brightness (Max)
2000ansi (LUMENS)

Picture rotation
yes

Build-in TV Tuner
yes

Contrast
500 : 1

Lamp Power
200W

Lamp Life
8000 hours

OSD language
English/German/French/Spanish/Italian

Aspect Ratio
16:9 or 4:3/ ZOOM

Screen Size
23-120inch

Projection Method
front/ceiling mount

panel Color
black

Net Weight
4.8kgs

Gross Weight
6.5kg

Projector Size (mm)
258(L)x323(W)x120(H)

Model
D8H

picture zoom
YES

Color
20,000,000 Million pix

Keystone Correction
±15 Degrees

Certificate
CE

Video Standards
NTSC,SECAM,PAL

Input socket
AV,TV,S-VIDEO,VGA

Scart,YPbPr,HDMI

Advanced Feature
Support PIP(picture in picture), 3D,

Teletext, NICAM, ZOOM, Multi window.

Or my 2nd choice is
Hitachi L42VP01 42" Widescreen LCD TV - 1080P.

Can anyone give me any pointers please as I have never had a Projector and screen before.
Thanks
Ken

Phlog

Novice Member
"Lamp Life - 8000 hours"

This may very well be true. but my understanding is that most projector bulbs only last about 2000 hours, and then only when in "economy" mode. The bulbs are also rather expensive.

On the other hand you do get a decent sized image...

Sonic67

Banned
A projector is what you have for home cinema and a darkened room. An LCD is more of a traditional TV. So if you come home and want to watch the news and read the paper as well then you want an LCD. If you want to sit and watch Terminator 2 then a projector might be better.

So you need an ordinary TV for general watching, a projector for home cinema perhaps in a seperate room altogether.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I know you can't always count on specifications, but the contrast ratio of 500:1 is pretty poor for the projector. This will likely give a very washed out image that might become annoying after the initial post purchase high of the big screen has worn off. It also doesn't seem like it it is a native HD resolution, more like a PC resolution 1024 x 1080 if I read the (vague) specs correctly. I don't know how much this costs but something like the HD70 or Panny AX200 at £700 approx would be a vast step up from this.

However the main question being would you want to watch a projector all the time? I find that saving the PJ for films and favourite TV series makes it more of an occasion. I think if you watched everything on it then it would become a bit passe eventually. Plus it's nice to be able to sit in the room with the lights on and watch whilst reading/web browsing like you can with a TV. I'd get a decent TV first, then maybe look for a better PJ later on, or maybe pick a used PJ up on the for sale threads here.

All IMHO of course.:)

kenmac21

Novice Member
Thanks for your help and I'm going for the 37inch LCD as I did think watching the PJ might get on my nerves after a while but as I've not had one before I thought I'd check with you lot first,good job I did because if I had to tell SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED in 6 months I need to buy an LCD as well,I don't need to tell you it wouldn't be a pleasant thing :suicide: :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more
Top Bottom