LCR_Dave

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi guys sorry for the repetitive post, i cant find anything recent though,

heres my room dimensions

length 4.8m

width 3.3m

height 2.4m

i sit one end of the room at the mo with a plasma tv mounted on a fireplace the other end,

i would like the projector above my head on the ceiling projecting the picture to a screen which i would like to drop down in front of the plasma screen,

normal use bluray, pc, skyhd, xbox360

ive got about 1300 to spend on projector and screen, not sure if im asking to much but id like an lcd projector as i get rainbows when ive looked at them in the past

screen size could be anything really aslong as it fits in the room, i was thinking maybe around the 100inch mark, if i go to big the screen maybe to low and i may struggle to get over the top of a sofa

heres a couple of pics to give you an idea

DSC00317.jpg

DSC00318.jpg

the center lights will be gone and im going to install down lights,

i have speakers that will be behind the screen when its down, i dont ever have it mega loud but will it muffle the sound? probably not much i can do about that though to be honest.

most the projector viewing will be done at night time as tv will be used during the day

all my sources go into a yamaha 765 amplifier then i have 1 output to the tv so im not sure how i send the picture to the projector aswell,

ive looked at the screen calculators but without knowing what projector to get im not sure what to put into the calculator ,
ive seen these ones mentioned abit SANYO PLV Z700 or z800, epson tw2700 or tw3500 but im unsure of any others in my budget

thanks in advance
Dave

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
As custard has said the Epson TW2900 is good enough and fits the budget.

If you can stretch a little further the tW3500 is a little better and is the newer model @ £1299 and if ordered by 11th July you get a free bluray player.

So allowing for the projector screen and free bluray will come in at £1400.

brilliant thanks for the replies, ill have a good read up on both projectors tonight,
im looking to order next week when i get back from holiday, not sure why the walls look yellow in those pics there actually a creamy colour, but it was using my phone!

out of those screens mate would you say there both of the same or is one better than the other?

looking at the advertisement they look about the same. one is quoting a gain of 1.1 which is highly unlikey as it is a matt fabric - no angular reflective properties. they add info like 'hd ready' to gain sales.:rolleyes:

i have no experiece of using any of them but it looks like the first one has a larger drop which can be useful especially if ceiling mounting.
i'd email the seller asking the max size of the top black border and also whether the drop is adjustable or fixed.

The cheaper one has a 1.1 gain where the more expensive one has 0.8 gain.

If you feel you need the extra brightness go for the 1.1 gain.I imagine the quality of both screens to be approx the same.By the way that means not great as you get what you pay for.

A good quality 100" motorised screen might cost upwards of £500 so don't be thinking you are getting a quality screen.:)

ok thanks for the info, would i be better with a manual screen then, would i get a better quality for around the same money... also do screen sizes go up in standard sizes, like tvs

also i have found the tw3500 for 1200 with 3 year warranty but there is no mention of the free bluray player, is that something only authorized dealers can sell as this is an ebay item...

I think authorised dealers are only doing the bluray player offer.

If buying off e-bay check warranty as it should have a 3 yr warranty on the projector AND bulb.

Difficult to say with screens as you get what you pay for and really at £100 or so it is the bottom end even for a manual screen.

Unless the screen is tab tensioned you can almost guarantee it will have ripples and edge curl whether new or a few months down the road.

That's why I made my own fixed screen its been up 4 yrs now and is as flat as a pancake and cost me £40 to make.

Unfortunately not everyone can have a fixed screen so unless you are prepared to spend loads of dosh on a quality tab tensioned it really is pot luck what you will get.

Beamax is a decent make but will probably cost £200+ depending on size.The Optoma screens can be iffy but they will swap it out within 18 months if it gets ripples.I think you can get an 84" for around £100 (manual).

ok thanks, i wish i could make my own but with that fireplace there it will have to drop down in front of it, i will inquire about the warranty it does say 3 years but im not sure if that covers the bulb too, its pick up only so at least i get to see it first, im not fussed about the bluray for that price as its only worth about 150 anyway,

im in an awkward position regarding the screen now, i could spend more but by the sound of it i will have to spend quite abit more to get a good screen, i my ask about the ebay ones if they have ripples ect, or if there coved by guarantee if they do get ripples. if it lasted a year i would be happy for that money

lol im sure he has better things to do than help me! advice is the most i would ask, i may take a gamble on that screen, i will ask about ripples ect. before i buy though, im really excited about getting one as i have wanted a pj for a few years now, and this will do me fine untill 3d becomes more mainstream in projectors :smashin:
do you think the projector would be best mounted to one side of the window above the corner sofa or dead center opposite the screen?

also how are people sending the output hdmi signal to tvs and projectors at the same time? obviously i wouldn't use both at the same time so do i just use a normal hdmi splitter box?
:smashin:

lol im sure he has better things to do than help me! advice is the most i would ask, i may take a gamble on that screen, i will ask about ripples ect. before i buy though, im really excited about getting one as i have wanted a pj for a few years now, and this will do me fine untill 3d becomes more mainstream in projectors :smashin:
he is very accommondating so you never know..
do you think the projector would be best mounted to one side of the window above the corner sofa or dead center opposite the screen?
does not matter with regards to the degradation of the image. so find the best place for your setup.
also how are people sending the output hdmi signal to tvs and projectors at the same time? obviously i wouldn't use both at the same time so do i just use a normal hdmi splitter box?
:smashin:
the simple splitter is the hdsp202 (neet) that a few of us use which allows simultaneous viewing, or viewing of one output on its own aswell. as long as the tv accepts 1080p there should be no probs with it. no need to switch between outputs aswell as it works automatically.
HDMI Splitter 2 port 1 Device to 2 TVs Powered Amplified UK PSU - HD-SP202 - kenable for HDMI Optical TOS Network Ethernet RJ45 Scart Audio Phono Jack USB Firewire 800 ADSL Cable Leads

you could by a certain manual switch and use it in reverse as some other members have done, which is cheaper but would mean you have to get up and press buttons each time you changed output.
2 Port Manual HDMI Switch Silver - Cable Universe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom