1080p lcd or good quality plasma

mercury2

Established Member
Reaction score
i've read so many conflicting opinions on this, so thought i'd start ANOTHER thread :thumbsup:

I dont even have a ps3 yet but it'll be the only thing i'll own that can output 1080p, other than my pc but ive got a decent monitor for that so not so important
no intention of getting sky hd hd dvd etc

i've looked in shops but never spent any real time getting them to show the same source on 2 dif tellys etc

so just looking for opinions

PS3 running 1080p on my sharp lc42xdie is jawdroppingly good :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i dont have 1080p only 1080i sammy LE40r7, but that is fantastic quality.... id say LCD over Plasma for PS3, although my Pioneer 50" plasma is also good at 1080i

i got the Sony 1080p set and with the ps3 it looks awesome

Sorry guys but the only 1080p LCD i've seen thats worth its salt is the Sony X Series otherwise pioneer and Panny Plasmas are much better.

I would say plasma also,, not keen on LCDs that i have seen.

To be honest it is quite a personel choice and I would recommend you view both side by side if you can and see what suits you.

If you want a 1080p LCD, then wait for the 100-120Hz 1080P LCD's to come out, because when the action is moving at a good rate of speed or fast, then the image gets distorted.

i have a 360 via component and a ps3 via hdmi into a 40w2000 and the sony wipes the floor with the xbox

so sharp , it's mindblowing

i've read so many conflicting opinions on this, so thought i'd start ANOTHER thread :thumbsup:
No harm in that....but unfortunately you didnt pick the most appropriate category to post it in.
Quite possibly the LCD or Plasma threads would have been the more logical choice.
Probably wouldnt matter though - you will still get conflicting opinions on this subject no matter where you go. :D

i have a 360 via component and a ps3 via hdmi into a 40w2000 and the sony wipes the floor with the xbox

so sharp , it's mindblowing

Have you tried using a VGA connection? You can get your 360 running in 1080p like your PS3 if you use VGA. At the moment, the best you can get via component is 1080i.

My take on it is:

1. *all* TVs look damn awful in showrooms - they put them with overbright colours and max out the sharpness to the point that it looks downright offensive.
2. Once calibrated I can't really tell the difference between them.. possibly plasma has the edge.
3. Plasma has burnin issues which is what stopped me buying one - if you watch a fair bit of 4:3 material (and aren't interested in distorting the screen) you'll get a nasty border on the screen (OTOH I've managed to do that with the LCD which is *supposed* to be impossible...)

If you want a 1080p LCD, then wait for the 100-120Hz 1080P LCD's to come out, because when the action is moving at a good rate of speed or fast, then the image gets distorted.

NOT

Not that I would highly recommend ALDI for their TV products, but they have a 47" 1080p LCD set coming out on 19th April for £1099, may be worth a look, they may have got it right this time

thanks foe the input all, my monitor for my pc when set at 60hz has no problem with motion blur etc (although its a CRT) so surely there must be other factors that determine how good or bad the motion blur is ?

I thought all plasmas that actually do 1080 resolution as opposed to 1080 capable were A, extremely large and B, extremely large priced too. as the previous poster said, try the TV forums for a better responce

thanks foe the input all, my monitor for my pc when set at 60hz has no problem with motion blur etc (although its a CRT) so surely there must be other factors that determine how good or bad the motion blur is ?
Well when your comparing 2 totally different technologies,then yes,there are other factors. :D

Your CRT monitor should be set to 70hz at the very least,preferably higher. Any less can cause eye strain due to flicker.

Older LCDs had bad latency.. you don't see it so much these days.. anything 8ms or less is good. Older plasmas had flicker issues and you don't see that either.

Refresh rate is generally a CRT thing. 100hz LCD isn't refresh rate it's a method of creating intermediate frames using clever hardware, thereby reducing the perceived motion blur.

NOT What:confused:

TVR Speaketh the truth.

NOT sure he does, my Samsung LCD shows no artefacts, motion blurring or comet tailing on any source watching any type of content BluRay at 1080i looks stunning, its just as good as my Pio 507

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom