1080p HD-DVDs on a 1080i TV

V3X

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm hoping someone can help me with a question I have since I don't know about HD as much as most of most of you guys. I'm sorry if I say anything wrong but I'm going by what I think I know of HD so far by reading these forums over the last few months.

I have a Toshiba 32WLT66 LCD and I'm waiting for the UK launch of a HD-DVD player. Looking at pictures of the backs of HD-DVD cases, it states the movie is in 1080p. If I'm correct, the TV I have can only do a maximum of 1080i so will this degrade the quality of the image produced, seeing as it has to be downscaled from 1080p to 1080i or 720p? I'm not sure if it's the HD-DVD player or the TV doing the downscaling but will I be be able to notice a difference between a 1080p HD-DVD being played on my TV and a 1080p HD-DVD being played on a 1080p TV like the new Sony X-Series LCDs?

Any help or information would be great.

Cheers

Your question is an interesting one, some will say there is very little difference, others will say you'll see a massive difference. No real comparisons can be made yet as the current HD-DVD players only output 1080i but, trust me, the picture quality on my 32" Panasonic is fan-bloody-tastic! :thumbsup:

If the TV de-interlaces properly (which hopefully it does) there will be zero difference, however I fear this is unlikely :(

Its a suck it and see thing, as no one knows what the de-interlacers are doing for sure.

(Note this is for film material, with video there is a big difference between 1080i and p)

V3X said:
If I'm correct, the TV I have can only do a maximum of 1080i so will this degrade the quality of the image produced, seeing as it has to be downscaled from 1080p to 1080i or 720p?
I assume that you're referring to the digital video input capability of the TV, which is most commonly 576i, 576p, 720p and 1080i. Where the film is stored in 1080p on the disc, the player will certainly have the ability to output this as 1080i, and you won't have any problems displaying this. As suggested, there is likely to besome degradation associated with the internal processing, and a 1080p input will theoretically give a better picture. But in practice, with a typical 1366x768 display, this won't be much of an issue. I only think it becomes important with 1080p displays (many of which still only have up to 1080i inputs).

regards, Nick

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom