1080p GFX how to know ??

marmite0

Hi,

I want best of all worlds just like everyone, but of course always need to make choices which ultimately will compromise something.
Anyway, build a HTPC and having difficulty committing to h/w choices. End result -

MUST: play back 1080p in any form, predominately will be in form of h.264 in mkv's

DESIRABLE: be low power, heat and noise.
DESIRABLE: be beefy enough to do other stuff to, recording 2 or 3 progs whilst decoding, and maybe transcoding, too (so would like power CPU, but could upgrade later)

Anyway, my prospective spec. is on other post

The motherboard has integretad Radeon HD3300. Will this do for my 1080p mkv decoding purposes? And/Or what CPU should I combine with it (initially) to meet goal will Athlon 64 4850e, do ?

I get feeling the integrate GPU will do initially from article at tomshardawe http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-blu-ray-video,2030-13.html

BUT, I'd really like some advise/reassurance, before purchasing!

I'd hate to end up with a half-baked solution!

Oh, and I should add, I'm likely to be watching the 1080p MKV's through VMC..

Thanks all.

Last edited:

thepharcyde

Novice Member
4850e and Giga 780g with onbuilt HD3200 is fine for MKV @ 1080p. It is what I have

pablo_paul

Integrated graphics is fine for a HTPC these day's and i would guess would mean less sources of noise nothing like annoying graphics card fan pulsing away when your trying to watch something.

When i built mine i bought an ati 2600 if i was doing it now i'd probably have bought integrated and then upgraded later. Next year hopefully we should see some HD audio codecs intergrated into a graphics cards.

kmark40

Novice Member
no fear. a lot of us are using 780g igp mobos comined with 4850e X2 cpu. mine works flawlessly (touches wood)

MikeK

Novice Member
Hi,

MUST: play back 1080p in any form, predominately will be in form of h.264 in mkv's

DESIRABLE: be low power, heat and noise.
DESIRABLE: be beefy enough to do other stuff to, recording 2 or 3 progs whilst decoding, and maybe transcoding, too (so would like power CPU, but could upgrade later)
It depends how the H264 video streams in your mkv files were encoded as to whether a graphics card will accelerate them or not - there's no way for anyone here to tell you how they were encoded though!
If the graphics card can't accelerate some of them, then the decode of these will be down to the CPU alone.
The 4850e would probably cope, but not if you are wanting to record 2 or 3 other progs and transcode at the same time - you may be better off buying a quad core from the outset!

marmite0

Thanks all, I'm encouraged by all the confirmations of 1080p success with this hardware.

Mike, appreciate the insight into the limits, I threw the idea of transcoding in there, hoping to get just that kind of comment, frankly I wouldn't mind doing this elsewhere _if_ it meant the right cool/quite setup. But I'll see may go for higher spec. CPU to be safe.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom