1080p Games

bwfc0907

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have both a PS3 and XBOX360. I play my PS3 on a 1080p Plasma. My Xbox is played on a 1080i LCD.

I have Fifa09 for both machines. I've noticed my PS3 shows it as having a 1080p picture when I play that version and it looks clearer than the Xbox version.

I've also noticed this on the Fight Night 4 Demo.

Does the PS3 really play games at 1080p or are my eyes deceiving me? Does it make a difference 1080p for games?

I have both a PS3 and XBOX360. I play my PS3 on a 1080p Plasma. My Xbox is played on a 1080i LCD.

I have Fifa09 for both machines. I've noticed my PS3 shows it as having a 1080p picture when I play that version and it looks clearer than the Xbox version.

I've also noticed this on the Fight Night 4 Demo.

Does the PS3 really play games at 1080p or are my eyes deceiving me? Does it make a difference 1080p for games?

You're comparing 1080i and 1080p?

Why not put them both on the same setting then compare them?

If the game has 1080p and you have a big screen I think the difference from 720p/1080i might be a bit more noticable.

You're comparing 1080i and 1080p?

Why not put them both on the same setting then compare them?

If the game has 1080p and you have a big screen I think the difference from 720p/1080i might be a bit more noticable.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Can the PS3 play games at 1080p?

Wipeout HD is 1080p native and I believe there are a few other games that are now as well, so the answer is yes the PS3 can play 1080p games.

But I think that when playing fifa on my 1080p Plasma the resolution is 720p, shows up for a second at 1080p then switches back to the proper resolution and it does this for Call Of Duty 4 and 5 as well.

Last edited:
Wipeout HD is 1080p native and I believe there are a few other games that are now as well, so the answer is yes the PS3 can play 1080p games.

But I think that when playing fifa on my 1080p Plasma the resolution is 720p, shows up for a second at 1080p then switches back to the proper resolution and it does this for Call Of Duty 4 and 5 as well.

So Fifa is only 720p. It is my eyes then as it must look pretty much the same on both consoles.

Yes it can. There are a handful of retail games that are true 1080p and most downloadables from the PSN store are true 1080p.

Fifa is upscaled to 1080p AFAIK tho. CoD4 & 5 will only upscale to 1080p if your tv can't do 720p.

Fifa is upscaled to 1080p AFAIK tho. CoD4 & 5 will only upscale to 1080p if your tv can't do 720p.
Mabey it depends on your TV? I haven't played fifa in a week or so but pretty sure it displays on my plasma at 720p and it states that it is a 720p game on the back of the case.

Mabey it depends on your TV? I haven't played fifa in a week or so but pretty sure it displays on my plasma at 720p and it states that it is a 720p game on the back of the case.

Yup, if you have a 1080p capeable tv it will upscale to 1080p. On my living room RPTV it plays in 1080p, on the plasma in the bedroom in plays at 1080i as that screen can't do 720p. If you have a tv that can't do 1080p but can 720p then it'll run in 720p.

I've never heard of a TV being able to do 1080p and not being able to do 720p :)

Really? Try going back about 5 years......just before the dawn of the HD 'revolution'. Plasmas could do 1080i no probs, yet cannot do 720p/1080p so aren't really HD sets.

TBH it's probably time I upgraded that tv but as it's in the bedroom I've not really been that fussed, bloody good sets those older Panny Viera's too!!

EDIT - You've read it wrong. They can do 1080i not 1080p/720p.

That list of titles is quite out of date - it says it was last updated January 2008, so it doesn't include GT5 Prologue for example.

It should be noted that the real question is which games are natively 1080p, and not which games will display on a 1080p TV - the 360 now lists all it's games on the packet as being 1080p on the back to stop numpties from thinking they're TV won't be able to display it, IIRC the 360 only has 3 native 1080p games.

Both the 360 & PS3 can upscale all content to 1080p so long as your TV can take it, and you're using the right cable's to connect to it.

Both the 360 & PS3 can upscale all content to 1080p so long as your TV can take it, and you're using the right cable's to connect to it.

You sure the PS3 can? AFAIK the 360 upscales everything automatically but the PS3 has to be programmed to do it. I know for a fact not everything on the PS3 will upscale, SF4 for example is 720p or bust HD resolution wise so will only play at 480p on my bedroom set even with official Sony component cables.

You sure the PS3 can? AFAIK the 360 upscales everything automatically but the PS3 has to be programmed to do it. I know for a fact not everything on the PS3 will upscale, SF4 for example is 720p or bust HD resolution wise so will only play at 480p on my bedroom set even with official Sony component cables.

Yeah - that's what I thought too. It can upscale DVDs but games are output at the highest resolution supported by the game and TV. So a 720p game on a 1080p TV will still output at 720p (at least they do on mine).

It's in the settings of both consoles. I must admit though that on the PS3 it isn't an option I've set. I set the 360 to output everything to 1080p to see if there was any noticable difference using HDMI rather than component @ 720p (my TV doesn't accept 1080p over component, just HMDI or VGA) - I found it made no difference at all in my eyes so didn't bother doing it on the PS3 - I prefer to leave stuff running at it's native resolution. Read a few reviews that the PS3 does a decent job of upscaling older PS1/PS2 titles to 1080p, but that's something I've not tried either.

It's in the settings of both consoles. I must admit though that on the PS3 it isn't an option I've set. I set the 360 to output everything to 1080p to see if there was any noticable difference using HDMI rather than component @ 720p (my TV doesn't accept 1080p over component, just HMDI or VGA) - I found it made no difference at all in my eyes so didn't bother doing it on the PS3 - I prefer to leave stuff running at it's native resolution. Read a few reviews that the PS3 does a decent job of upscaling older PS1/PS2 titles to 1080p, but that's something I've not tried either.

You sure? I know there's a setting to upscale PS1/PS2 games (I tried it - didn't make much difference since if I set it not to the TV would upscale it anyway). But I've never seen an option to upscale ALL games.

EDIT: I guess you could force everything to 1080p by de-selecting every other resolution from the settings. Not sure what would happen to a 720p game then. Either upscale it or fail to display it. Hmmmm.

Last edited:
Really? Try going back about 5 years......just before the dawn of the HD 'revolution'. Plasmas could do 1080i no probs, yet cannot do 720p/1080p so aren't really HD sets.

TBH it's probably time I upgraded that tv but as it's in the bedroom I've not really been that fussed, bloody good sets those older Panny Viera's too!!

EDIT - You've read it wrong. They can do 1080i not 1080p/720p.
Is'ent that panny 480p native but will accept 1080i and down scale it.;)

EDIT: I guess you could force everything to 1080p by de-selecting every other resolution from the settings. Not sure what would happen to a 720p game then. Either upscale it or fail to display it. Hmmmm.

It would just fail to display anything at all. There's no point forcing any resolutions, the game will display at the resolution it works best at automatically.

As I understand things, a game such as Fifa with a max display resolution of 720p will be output by the PS3 at 720p.

Your telly will then scale that output to match the number of pixels it has to display on, otherwise you'd end up with black borders around anything output from the PS3 at anything less than 1080i on a 1080p capable telly.

So your game is still showing at 720p but it's effectively stretched (or upscaled) to fill the screen.

My understanding could be ******** of course... :)

Is'ent that panny 480p native but will accept 1080i and down scale it.;)

Yeah it's 480p native but 1080i looks amazing on it! Really really crisp and far better than 480p so not sure it is downscaling it :confused:

As I understand things, a game such as Fifa with a max display resolution of 720p will be output by the PS3 at 720p.

Your telly will then scale that output to match the number of pixels it has to display on, otherwise you'd end up with black borders around anything output from the PS3 at anything less than 1080i on a 1080p capable telly.

So your game is still showing at 720p but it's effectively stretched (or upscaled) to fill the screen.

My understanding could be ******** of course... :)

If that was the case then all 720p games would show as 1080p on a 1080p tv.....but they don't. At least not on mine lol Using SF4 and Fifa09 as examples. SF4 will come up as 720p yet Fifa comes up at 1080p (even tho the box says 720p only and I know it is being upscaled) so I'd assume it's the way the game is made...not the PS3 or tv that is doing anything.

I could be wrong tho....:rotfl:

Last edited:
If that was the case then all 720p games would show as 1080p on a 1080p tv.....but they don't. At least not on mine lol Using SF4 and Fifa09 as examples. SF4 will come up as 720p yet Fifa comes up at 1080p (even tho the box says 720p only and I know it is being upscaled) so I'd assume it's the way the game is made...not the PS3 or tv that is doing anything.

I could be wrong tho....:rotfl:

Wee Steve is totally right, when your TV says 720p thats the resolution of the input. If it was being displayed as 720p it would only take up a portion of the screen, it would be no where near filling it. All TVs stretch the 720p image to fit the pixels it has!

I think everyone is actally in violent agreement here, but just saying it differently. Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

Tigerblade knows that different resolutions need to be upscaled to fit the same size screen. His and bwfc0907's issue is that the TV is showing a label that says 1080p when the Fifa 09 box says 720p (and other 720p games correctly have the 720p label on his TV).

So facts are:
1/ Yes - the PS3 can output 1080p games if they're designed to be output like that (though most are upscaled from 720p anyway).

2/ The PS3 can upscale PS and PS2 games if the correct setting is selected.

3/ The PS3 can upscale DVDs to 1080p (not the issue here, included for completeness due to number 4...)

4/ I don't believe the PS3 will upscale to 1080p PS3 games that are not supported in 1080p. This is still an outstanding question though because Paul_T thinks that it can. TBC.

So... with that lot agreed (I hope) we move onto the specific of Fifa 09 which is causing the confusion. After doing a bit of googling it seems that it's a common observation that Fifa 09 outputs in 1080p when the box only says 720p. I'd put that down to a mis-print on the box or perhaps an unadvertised patch post release. Either way - if we lump Fifa 09 into category 1 above of 1080p games then the world makes sense again :thumbsup:

Everyone happy? :D

Last edited:
Yeah I'd say the box was labelled wrongly, it's the only explanation as it's the only game that does it :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom